Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike491
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last it is working, many thanks, I sorted out my JC voice as well, I am using TT1.6 with IPhone 4, I have a number of POI's to install, do you have a link to the guide ?
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Use DiskAid to copy the ov2 files to the same location on your iPhone that you copied the ogg and png files to - Mike

Hi Mike,

Did that. The following files appear in the relevant section as shown by DiskAid:

In my PC i now have files with the following endings:

*.png
*.bmp
*.ogg
*.ov2

Windows will not allow me to change the names of the '*.bmp' files to '*.png' files as these already exist (downloaded with the files as noted on page 1 of the thread).

Did an actual test run from home to Brent Cross (wife needed stuff from the sales). Only cameras being picked up were the fixed camera's and only with the sounds from the TomTom device.

Do i need to run this whole thing again, from scratch. If so, should i do the following procedure in order:

(1) Download the 'TomTom ov2' files first; then
(2) Carry out the process as described on page 1 of the thread

Please advise

Samir
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike491 wrote:
At last it is working, many thanks, I sorted out my JC voice as well, I am using TT1.6 with IPhone 4, I have a number of POI's to install, do you have a link to the guide ?

When you completed the necessary, did your TT app ask you to re-enter your home address?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschandoo wrote:
When you completed the necessary, did your TT app ask you to re-enter your home address?

What's your panic over this? I'm not running TT on my iPhone so I'm unfamiliar with it, but Mike's instructions say you will need to change your Home location, NOT that TT asks you to do so! On my TT (not iPhone) it's Change Preferences, Change Home Location.

"Home" location is not a registration or similar thing, it is merely a spot on the map which you designate for use in the "Navigate to" etc features of the application. A simple, quick shortcut address of a destination which you are likely to use more than any other.

The reason you will need to change your Home location is that the downloaded file already contains a Home location which is not your Home location, so if you were to ask the TT to navigate to Home, it wouldn't take you home, but to somebody else's "Home".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The reason you will need to change your Home location is that the downloaded file already contains a Home location which is not your Home location, so if you were to ask the TT to navigate to Home, it wouldn't take you home, but to somebody else's "Home".

Indeed, once the new file is added to the app it will have somewhere close to my address stored, I only mentioned it in case someone post modification hit the Navigate/ Home and started to follow the directions......

Samir, have you got the png, ogg and ov2 files in the Western_Europe map folder or United_Kingdom_and_Repluplic_of_Ireland as applicable - Mike
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
sschandoo wrote:

What's your panic over this? I'm not running TT on my iPhone so I'm unfamiliar with it, but Mike's instructions say you will need to change your Home location, NOT that TT asks you to do so! On my TT (not iPhone) it's Change Preferences, Change Home Location.

"Home" location is not a registration or similar thing, it is merely a spot on the map which you designate for use in the "Navigate to" etc features of the application. A simple, quick shortcut address of a destination which you are likely to use more than any other.

Hi Dennis

Thanks.....not a panic as such. Despite having carried out the instructions twice i still couldn't get anything to work as it should have done. Thus, when i went into the TT my home address was still the same as before i installed the PGPSW database.

However, put in a bit of effort last night and re-did the download. When i restarted my phone, my home address no longer showed and i had to re-enter it. As this has happened, i believe i have downloaded everything properly. Will give it a test run later today to see if properly working.

Thanks to everyone on here for their patience. Wink It is appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it while sat at home:

Select Advanced Planning, for the departure point select Postcode and enter FY43NN house number 95

For the destination select Postcode and enter PR41AX no house number.

Use Fastest route and let it plan using the current date/ time, when the route summary screen shows press "Options" followed by "Route Demo"

Sit back and watch, you should get a Gatso 30 followed by a mobile 30 alert within a minute or two, leave it for ten minutes and you will also get a Gatso 50 warning assuming its set up correctly - Mike
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Indeed, once the new file is added to the app it will have somewhere close to my address stored, I only mentioned it in case someone post modification hit the Navigate/ Home and started to follow the directions......

Samir, have you got the png, ogg and ov2 files in the Western_Europe map folder or United_Kingdom_and_Repluplic_of_Ireland as applicable - Mike

Hi Mike,

I do apologise for wasting your time on my queries. I'm not comfortable with tinkering on computers let along mobile devices and found this quite daunting on the IPhone.....so much more easier with a Nokia.

I've now got the png, ogg and OV2 files in the UK & Rep of Ireland folder as you noted above. The map file went into the correct folder.

Previously, I had the bmp files as well as the above three and noted that they came from the speed zoned camera database download; but the same files in png format were being downloaded from the zip file you noted on page 1 of the thread. I changed the bmp files to png and then deleted the additional png files and copied over through DiskAid. I then went through DiskAid to delete any previously installed bmp files. This process seemed to have sorted everything.

Once again, thanks for your patience with me.

Only thing to ask now is how to turn off or back-up and remove the TT cameras as i do not know what the TT file names are?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschandoo wrote:
Only thing to ask now is how to turn off or back-up and remove the TT cameras as i do not know what the TT file names are?

Remove the files that are highlighted in the following screen grab:

Did you try the route demo I suggested earlier in the thread to see if its all working? - Mike
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try it while sat at home:

Select Advanced Planning, for the departure point select Postcode and enter FY43NN house number 95

For the destination select Postcode and enter PR41AX no house number.

Use Fastest route and let it plan using the current date/ time, when the route summary screen shows press "Options" followed by "Route Demo"

Sit back and watch, you should get a Gatso 30 followed by a mobile 30 alert within a minute or two, leave it for ten minutes and you will also get a Gatso 50 warning assuming its set up correctly - Mike

Hi Mike,

I give up. End of Lindale Road i got the 30 speed camera warning (2 beeps) then nothing until i got onto the A583 Preston new Road where i got a 50 speed camera warning (2 beeps).

I definitely have all the right files in the right folder but the mobile ones didn't show up on the route. This is truly frustrating Mad

EDIT:

Tried the route again. There is something spooky with my phone. This time i saw the speed camera warnings you mentioned: tiny icons on the road with nothing on the top left of the screen, no advance warnings and no sound warnings. Checked all settings and they are set up correctly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given you admit you are not comfortable with 'tinkering', and that this procedure would need to be repeated in part each week after we update, can I suggest you consider our dedicated CamerAlert app instead?

That will download the database from within the app. We do not support this bodge for cameras on TomTom and it could easily be stopped from working at any future point anyway.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Given you admit you are not comfortable with 'tinkering', and that this procedure would need to be repeated in part each week after we update, can I suggest you consider our dedicated CamerAlert app instead?

That will download the database from within the app. We do not support this bodge for cameras on TomTom and it could easily be stopped from working at any future point anyway.

I have to say I can't understand people's urge to add our cameras to the TT app - surely it's a geek item? CamerAlert links to and uses the existing membership subscription, so the only cost is the one-off 59 pence purchase price of the app itself. And frankly, CamerAlert is so much better than using the TomTom POI function - and if nothing else appeals, the fact that you can update the database instantly, with three taps, on the fly, whilst in motion, miles away from your home computer, is a plain "No Brainer" - you even get a spoken notification that there has been a Wednesday database update if you can't be bothered to update daily. I usually update mine when I get stopped at the first traffic lights on my journey - absolute Meerkats Simples!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
sschandoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Hi Darren,

I perfectly understand your suggestion and would really love to do it. But, having started this process i really want to get it right. It's frustrating but i'm learning a completely new skill set.

I've now got to a stage whereby i've got the right files in the right folders, i can see on the screen those cameras i couldn't see before. The only things, i think, that are left is to work out and fix the following:

(1) No camera icon appearing on the top left of the screen (only on the actual road map),
(2) No sound or advance warnings re the cameras, and
(3) How to make the icons appear larger

Like i said, i have the files in the right folders. A little more tinkering, and patience, and help from the forum members (and you / Mike) and i reckon i'll get it. Once this is sorted then any future tinkerings should be relatively straight forward.

I am truly sorry for cluttering up the forum with my sillyness.
Mike491
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am by no means an expert but this is how I got it working

First point, the "pgpsw-iphone-tt-1.6.zip" does not contain the ov2 files needed, you need to download them from here first

Second, you need to check & resize all of the png's ie pocketgps_uk_gatso_??_X2.png 44x44
and pocketgps_uk_gatso_??.png as 22x22 use IrFanView to do this

Third follow all the original instructions at the being of this thread

Fourth, You must power down the IPhone once everything is complete.

Thats it from me, my now works correctly, I just need some help with the POI's, do I need to create 2 png's for each item & what size should they be ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschandoo wrote:
Like i said, i have the files in the right folders. A little more tinkering, and patience, and help from the forum members (and you / Mike) and i reckon i'll get it.

A strange one but at least its now fixed, for users with devices that can support apps running the background the TomTom app MUST be fully closed down before loading files to the app, I have added a note to the first post to deal with this issue but I suspect this explains why some iPhone4 users have been having more "fun" getting this working than others! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 8 of 42

Jump to: