Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 1005 and HD Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 1005 and HD Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypritchard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Tomtom 1005 and HD Traffic Reply with quote

Just looking to see if others have a similar experience to me:

I have just bought a 1005 to replace my 950. One of the main reasons I use Tomtoms is now because of their HD traffic service - it's fantastic!

I drive about 60 miles to work from the A21 near Tunbridge Wells to Junction 1 of the M3. My journey takes between 2 hours (!!) and an hour.

With my 950, I used to start my journey and within a few minutes, it would show me all the traffic on my route.
This morning, I started and the 1005 oonly showed me the traffic for the first "bit" of my route. I know there are always delays on the M25 between 9 and 11 and it wasn't showing these delays. If I looked on the map, the delays were clearly there but for some reason they weren't being included in my route.
As I drove further, the delays then became added to my route.

It's a really weird situation - with the 950 I used to pretty much know what worst case was in terms of traffic when I started out. With the 1005 my ETA got later and later as traffic delays were added - it was almost as if the 1005 wasn't including them until I got closer.

Has anyone else experienced this? I understand the 1005 has the "new" traffic display like the iphone app but it there any logic for traffic that is a certain distance away not being included.

The 1005 is a a great device and aside from the limitations discussed elsewhere in this forum, I really like it. However this traffic "issue" could get quite annoying!

Help please!

Jeremy
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view if the device is not functioning as it should, send it straight back for a replacement or refund. If TT wants to lock its systems down, then consumers need to demand that the units operate properly.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 'feature' in the way TomToms newest devices handle traffic.

They have decided that issues that are further away need not be considered in calculating a route as it is possible that they may have cleared or changed by the time you get near to them.

Because the new devices can calculate new routes much quicker than previous models, it is no longer necessary to plan ahead as older models did.

Whether you see this is an improvement or not is another matter.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Whether you see this is an improvement or not is another matter.
Jeremy obviously does not think so. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. So it doesn't warn of traffic on M25 between 10 and 40 miles into the journey? And relies on being able to replan jumping off the next motorway junction. Nice one TomTom!! Looks like yet another great idea implemented by muffins! I suppose they'll introduce this policy with MapShare too - you don't get corrections for anywhere more than say 50 miles away from where you live!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather HD Traffic show me all the traffic en-route & calculate an ETA based on that with ETA changing with the reported traffic state ie the way that the x40 & x50 handles it, at least that is hopefully a worst case scenario & forewarned is at least forearmed
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Sensible Reply with quote

With so many incidents clearing before you get there it is probably wise to implement the traffic routing the way TomTom now have

However, there will be times (like this) when its a regular problem and you know it won't clear that the older system may work best

Perhaps we need HD Traffic Plus - knows the problems, like today's system, but also learns regular incident blackspots so will bring this into the route calculation from mile one

That way those of us who don't often travel routes with daily re-occuring problems will be happy, as will the rest of you
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would be too much to ask for TT to give the user the option of which method to use. Perhaps not, they would no doubt screw up something far more important whilst doing so Shocked
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it needs to be more subtle than described. It needs a formula based on how long it will take you to reach the holdup and how long the hold up is before deciding how soon to reroute. Not complex maths!
Kia In-dash Tomtom
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Surely it needs to be more subtle than described. It needs a formula based on how long it will take you to reach the holdup and how long the hold up is before deciding how soon to reroute. Not complex maths!
Let's suppose that you are 30 mins away from a 30mins hold up. What do you do? Divert around it, or take 30 mins to get there and then spend another 30 mins in it? Sad But of course, by the time you get there, it could have gone completely. Very Happy So unless you can predict for how long the 30min delay is going to be in place, it is difficult to make a judgement as to what to do. Confused

Now, these super duper TT machines should be able to have a stab at doing this by using a combination of actual and historic data, providing that the holdup is a historical regular hold up. But of course it cannot predict for how long the police are going to keep the motorway closed after an incident. Shocked So it seems to me that it is fairly complex maths that has to be done in conjunction with a clairvoyant with a particularly clear crystal ball. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the actual algorithm is much more subtle than my simplistic summary but I'm not going to venture into rush hour traffic on the M25 to test it Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They already do it - it's called IQ Routes. And personally, I'm not impressed.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we should also pose the question whether a particular Traffic jam has already been allowed for in IQ routes & therefore whether it will cause additional delays - if not should it show in HD Traffic at all even if Traffic is stationary??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: