Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bad routing with a Garmin Nuvi 255W
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad routing with a Garmin Nuvi 255W

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Bad routing with a Garmin Nuvi 255W Reply with quote

I relatively recently switched from TomTom to a Garmin Nuvi 255W. I have found that the routing with the Garmin is dreadful. It always seems to want to take me down some stupid routes rather than using the most conventional routes, whenever I use it, and it has got me into trouble a few times now, especially when I've used it in my motorhome.

Next week, I have to go to Stansted Airport from Cheltenham and instead of directing me onto the M40 at Jct 8, then taking Junction 1a/16 from the M40 on to the M25, the Garmin directs me off the M40 and onto A418 through Aylesbury and onto the A41 eventually joining the M25 at Jct 20. I've never taken the route which my Garmin has come up with, but this is just a typical example of the Garmin coming up with unconventional alternatives.

From my searching this subject, it seems that the recommended way of overcoming Garmin's strange routing is to set the device to go SYSTEM - USAGE MODE - VEHICLE - LORRY, but in my Nuvi, I don't have the "lorry" option, only Automobile/Bicycle/Pedestrian.

I've set the device in NAVIGATION - ROUTE PREFERENCE - FASTER TIME, but there isn't a "FASTEST" time option. Likewise, I've set MAP - MAP DETAIL - LEAST in the hope that this might limit the routing options to the main roads. However, nothing I do seems to force the unit to make the most conventional main routes.

I know that I can use "via" points to force the Garmin to take MY routing, but this means that I always have to closely examine each route before I drive anywhere, and IMO this defeats the object of having a SatNav rather than using a map. I just can't trust Garmin's routing.

Can someone please help before I am driven to taking a sledge-hammer to the device?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you have just discovered exactly why i switched from Garmin (760T) to TomTom. I was sick of being routed down bridle paths and on one occassion into a pub car park and through a brick wall that was over 20 years old! I also found it took my on random meanders where it would take me off a main road, through a housing estate and back on the same main road.

You haven't said what maps you have but the 255 is an older model i believe. Have you fully updated the unit with WebUpdater (or is it Dashboard now?) so you know you have the latest software running?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've set the device in NAVIGATION - ROUTE PREFERENCE - FASTER TIME, but there isn't a "FASTEST" time option.

Faster Time is the Fastest option.

Quote:
Likewise, I've set MAP - MAP DETAIL - LEAST in the hope that this might limit the routing options to the main roads. However, nothing I do seems to force the unit to make the most conventional main routes.

This just affects how much detail is SHOWN on the screen and doesn't affect the routing at all.
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's running on the latest software available from Garmin, using the Garmin WebUpdater Software (checked just before I started this thread), and has the CN Europe NT 2011.10 Maps.

When I used the Garmin on the way to Dover Docks to catch a ferry, it wanted to take me off the M25 somewhere around Heathrow Airport. You shouldn't have to closely check routes that take major motorways to get from A to B. It's every time I use the damned thing it does this. It's not fit for purpose.

If this is a problem experienced by all Garmin users, then I'm surprised that the internet isn't full of complaints from grossly dissatisfied owners.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using any sort of Traffic (TMC) reciever with it?

My mum has the 765T and she has the same complaint of "odd routes". I've advised her to just use her own / Google maps to plan most of the way and to use the sat nav for the "final (few) mile(s)". i.e. if travelling to Dover she knows to go M25, M20. Then keep the Sat nav on for the journey and only calculate a route when you are on the M20 or a few miles from Dover.

Alternatively if you know better than the sat nav don't go to the bother of using Vias just ignore the instructions and it'll recalculate automatically...
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Are you using any sort of Traffic (TMC) reciever with it?

No.

PaulB2005 wrote:

My mum has the 765T and she has the same complaint of "odd routes". I've advised her to just use her own / Google maps to plan most of the way and to use the sat nav for the "final (few) mile(s)". i.e. if travelling to Dover she knows to go M25, M20. Then keep the Sat nav on for the journey and only calculate a route when you are on the M20 or a few miles from Dover.

Alternatively if you know better than the sat nav don't go to the bother of using Vias just ignore the instructions and it'll recalculate automatically...

If I just rely upon the Garmin to get me the last few miles to places that I don't know, then it also takes routes on "tracks" which it thinks are "roads" or on routes which have been closed. It did this for me both in Lydney and in Pershore recently. It doesn't seem to matter how or where you use the routing, the unit gets it wrong!

If nobody on THIS forum can come up with a solution, where there are some real GPS/SatNav expert users, then it's clear that Garmin have sold something which is not fit for purpose and is not of "merchantable quality".

Do all the different Garmin SatNav models use the same routing methods and produce the same unreliable routes that I, and others, are getting?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously can't say 'all' but when I had a Street Pilot I certainly had exactly the same experience as you (including being whisked off an already calculated route and sent across country for nor reason I could see - it can't have been a jam THAT bad!

That's why I don't use Garmin any more (my wife seems to like it though - I think it's the nice man (Daniel) inside.

So I've finished with my sledge-hammer, if it's any use ... Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had this problem with my i3. I did once ask Garmin about this weird routing on my 760 and they said they don't know why it does it. It appears that not everyone is affected but others have complained.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's still under guarantee, then I guess you need to see if the retailer will take responsibility for a u/s unit, and give you a replacement or a refund - if they are reputable (eg, their name doesn't start with an 'H') they might help, in which case you might be able to switch to a different make if you wanted.

Failing that, is it worth trying Garmin themselves? You could at least get them to say whether the unit is in their view 'faulty' or is operating normally.

If it isn't then you might want to try selling it through some other channel - I personally might hesitate going this way but it doesn't necessarily worry everyone. And in any case, if you get Garmin to confirm it's ok, then you wouldn't really be tucking anybody up. Some people might not even find the routing awkward, anyway - I've never had any problem at all with mine, which I find extremely good, but some people in otyher areas have definitely had 'No Through Road'-type experiences with it, which I have duplicated on my own unit - it can be a locality thing with the map accuracy sometimes.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Failing that, is it worth trying Garmin themselves?

Sadly, in an act of pure frustration, I sent them a 5 page letter with all the problems and errors I had found with my 765T, including the weird routing problem. The reply I got was

"We don't know why our products sometimes have problems"

That was it! Almost exactly word for word. That was all I got.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can get strange options selctd if the device is told to operate as a pedestrian or on a bicycle as opposed to an Automobile.

Check the
Tools
Settings - System - Usage Mode value.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the first post It appears this has been checked. I know mine was set to automobile.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 said
Quote:
Sadly, in an act of pure frustration, I sent them a 5 page letter with all the problems and errors I had found with my 765T, including the weird routing problem. The reply I got was

"We don't know why our products sometimes have problems"
How come that wasn't a sufficient admission for Garmin to offer your a replacement unit which DIDN'T "sometimes have problems"? Especially such crucial ones which as philbattenburg says Garmin arguably has
Quote:
sold something which is not fit for purpose and is not of "merchantable quality".
!
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwog wrote:
YOu can get strange options selctd if the device is told to operate as a pedestrian or on a bicycle as opposed to an Automobile.

Check the
Tools
Settings - System - Usage Mode value.

Already done. I'm sufficiently experienced with SatNavs to have properly familiarised myself with the unit to rule out any "lack of familiarity" or "operator error" on my part. The fact that other experienced users on this forum have had similar experiences, would indicate that the software is "flaky".

BigPerk wrote:
If it's still under guarantee, then I guess you need to see if the retailer will take responsibility for a u/s unit, and give you a replacement or a refund - if they are reputable (eg, their name doesn't start with an 'H') they might help, in which case you might be able to switch to a different make if you wanted.

Failing that, is it worth trying Garmin themselves? You could at least get them to say whether the unit is in their view 'faulty' or is operating normally.

etc.

When it comes to consumer issues I'm extremely well-versed in what to do and I'm sure that I'll ultimately get satisfaction on getting my money back from the retailer. I think it's a big shame that many owners just discard defective products rather than force the retailers/manufacturers to sort things out for them. There's no way that I will try to offload the unit on someone else, because I don't think it is fit for use and the manufacturer/retailer need to take responsibility for their products rather than take profit from them.

My next question is: which relatively cheap model of SatNav do members of this forum recommend that will allow the use of the PGPSW speed camera database as a suitable replacement.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: