Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card, card reader and the new map.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card, card reader and the new map.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: SD card, card reader and the new map. Reply with quote

OK I am now confused.

I have a TT 730 and I have copied the o/s and map to a 4 gb SD card. I have done this so that I can download new maps direct to the card which is faster than downloading through the 730.

I have just upgraded from Win7 32 bit to Win7 64 bit and this has coincided with TT telling me there is a new enhanced map available. I put the SD card in the card reader and it downloaded without a problem. I downloaded Home, installed it and then downloaded the newer version it said it needed.

Previously, when I put the card back into the 730, and connected it to the dock, it asked me if I wanted to use the card or the internal memory. Now when I do this Home refuses to recognise the 730 and says there isn't a device connected. If I want to use Home, eg to find updates etc., or change things, I have to put the SD card in the card reader. As far as I can tell I have the full map as I didn't want to play the new game of "zones" I also had to re-enable all my speed camera voices but at least they still work. So

1 What has changed and why doesn't Home "see" the 730 in its dock?
2 Do I need to do anything differently such as take the o/s off the card to be on the safe side? It doesn't see the 730 even if I take the card out before I connect it to the dock.
3 What exactly are the enhancements on the map - it looks very much as it did before?
4 Weren't there supposed to be lots of new POIs? The ones I have look very much like the ones I had before.

As ever nowadays with TomTom more and more questions. Any clarification would be very much appreciated.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried this earlier but as ive got the 930 with north america maps they still wouldnt fit on the 8gb sd card.

the way i got it to work was only copy the old maps to the sd card and leave everything else on the internal harddrive.
once youve updated the maps put the card back in the go and it should work.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering whether to take the application off the sd card to see if that made a difference. However, if I take the card out of the TT and connect to Home, it still doesn't see the 730 so removing the application from the card may just cripple it. (I have backups of course so perhaps worth a go.)

The problem with TT nowadays is a new map seems to equal many lost hours trying to get it to work again the way it did.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: SD card, card reader and the new map. Reply with quote

qkjb wrote:
Home refuses to recognise the 730 and says there isn't a device connected.

Any help?
HOME starts but does not recognise the device.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

On the button as always. I'll give that a go. I guess I normally find the forum more help that TT but I should have looked there first.

Regards,

Q.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been away for a few days and so didn't have the chance to try the suggestions on the link from Andy. Being back and having now tried everything, and a few more besides I still haven't got anywhere and have sent a long post to TomTom to see if they can shed any light on it.

Without the SD card, the PC sees the TT730 as a disc drive with nothing in it. With the card, it sees the cards contents but not the internal memory. Device manager says the internal memory has used zero bytes and has zero bytes free.

The 730 still functions happily as a Sat Nav with or without the SD card, thank Goodness, so there is an application and a map in there somewhere but Home only sees a device when the card is plugged into a card reader. It's all very odd.

When I get a reply from TomTom I will post again.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checking but is the sd card a SDHC Class 6 card?
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrDJ,

No - it is a SDHC class 4 card. It's always been OK for the previous maps and actually works fine in the card reader and the TT730. It's just that Home can't recognise the 730 any more with or without the card..
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the sdhc card in the unit, do a pin reset. See if that helps......
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Sadly not!

I am wondering if the increased map size has something to do with it and I have no idea if the application changed at the same time as the map. I just don't understand why Home can see the card in the card reader but not in the TT730.

Q
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the card in the unit and the 730 plugged into the computer, can you use Disk Management to assign a drive letter to the internal (which I think you said it shows as 0 bytes)?

I'm assuming the sdhc card has been assigned a drive letter in Windows......
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a long shot but just in case it could be a operating system or 64bit problem im wondering if it would be worth trying it again with Home in XP compatible mode.

find the home folder in the start menu. open the folder by left click. then right click on the TomTom Home 2 logo and choose properties.

Once the properties box pop's up choose the 'compatibility' tab.

tick box 'Run this program in compatibility mode' - windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Then at the bottom under 'Privilege Level' tick the 'Run this program as administrator'

ive never used this option but know a lot of people on various computer forums that swear by it when theve had problems with 64bit.

hope you get it sorted soon qkjb
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David and MrDJ,

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried the "compatibility" route and that didn't help. In fact the PC fell over and had to be re-booted. I am now wondering if my replaced TT730 has a problem. When I get a moment I will reinstall home in my XP virtual machine and see if it works there but all was working fine right up to the new TomTom Home programme and update for the enhanced map so that is looking the most likely candidate.

The disc management idea was a good one but whilst the SD card has got a drive identification letter, the TomTom hasn't and I can't access it to give it a letter. Every time I try it tells me to refresh the programme with the same result.

Regards,

Q
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently upgraded to a Win7 64 system from the 32 bit version. When I did so I installed a virtual XP machine to cope with some legacy music writing software I use.
I have just installed Home2 (latest version from TomTom's site) on the virtual machine and everything is back (on the virtual machine) to working as it should do. The 730 connects to the virtual machine and asks if I want to use the memory card or internal memory. After that it works as it works it used to.

SO - it looks like a problem with the Home software in Win7 64bit. What a waste of time and long winded way to find that it is inadequate software (again). Not all versions of Win7 are enabled to allow a virtual machine to be installed so I was just lucky to have a very fast machine that can cope.

Microsoft say that win7 64 bit now has over 32% of the overall o/s market (XP is still the largest) and that over 65% 0f win7 installs are 64 not 32bit. So it will be a good thing for us all when the software writers catch up with today's operating systems.

Meanwhile I am wondering whether to uninstall and then reinstall Home in the Win7 machine to see if I have better luck with that.

Thanks for all the help that was offered. It was MrDJ that made me think of using the virtual machine. I have had other examples of where the compatibility method didn't work but never in the virtual machine. Thank Goodness for these forums.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaay me, i sugested something that sort of worked for a change Very Happy

glad you got there in the end qkjb.
im still running vista 32bit on my 2 grand clevo gaming laptop as ive got so much software that just wont work in 7 or 64bit.

come on world, catch up (especially tom tom).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: