Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3790t POIs question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3790t POIs question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Garmin 3790t POIs question Reply with quote

I've loaded a few on such as Tescos etc ;-)

Quick question, should they show up in map mode ?

Cheers
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The custome POIs only show up when you are in very close proximity to them and the unit has "zoomed" in. Otherwise, no you don't see them as you pass by unless you select one as your destination.

There is some debate about why units for Asia have the user defined functionality to select whether and which POIs are displayed.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, make sure they are actually installed!!

Where to / extras / custom POI

for some reason they don't seem to install to the device (speed cameras at least, not tried normal pois yet) and you need to install to Micro SD card.

MaFt
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt

I have never had a problem loading POIs onto my 3790T - same process as for every other Garmin I have owned. I believe Windows 7 has some connectivity issues (I am using XP). I use the Speed Cams from this site and the POIs from a rather nice site GarminPOI.co.uk (when is the next update?) and POILoader to update.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
I have never had a problem loading POIs onto my 3790T - same process as for every other Garmin I have owned. I believe Windows 7 has some connectivity issues (I am using XP).

ah, must be Win7 issue then! it says they're installed but doesn't actually put them on. will try on mac before i finish the review of it!!

Quote:
I use the Speed Cams from this site and the POIs from a rather nice site GarminPOI.co.uk (when is the next update?) and POILoader to update.

i know, i know, huge backlog and just haven't had the time unfortunately... paid work has to take priority!

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're PAYING you?!?!?!? Shocked
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, think I've read that "safely disconnecting" your 37xx with Win7 will sometimes (usually/always??) cause the software updates to fail flashing the device. Against all Windows recommendations, once you're certain any data writes should be complete, try just pulling the USB cable rather than unmounting the drive via Safe Disconnect.
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Do they need to be installed onto a MicroSD card or can they go onto the device?
I have been downloading them onto my PC and uploading using the POILoader until.
I checked again and they are there but rediculously small and it seems you have to be zoomed in as far as possible to see them.

If I get the PGPSW Camera db, do I need to remove the garmin cameras ? If not will I get duplicate alerts?
Sorry for so many questions, I ve had integrated gps in last 6 cars
This is definately a massive improvement on them
Cheers
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that you need to delete the existing cameras from the unit to get the PGPSW cameras to appear, it's also best to put them on a MiSD card.

I've got (dad's actually) the 3760T which is virtually identical and it works perfectly like that.
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
I find that you need to delete the existing cameras from the unit to get the PGPSW cameras to appear, it's also best to put them on a MiSD card.

I've got (dad's actually) the 3760T which is virtually identical and it works perfectly like that.

How d you remove the pre loaded garmin cameras?
Thanks
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the computer's connected to the unit, use My computer find the unit, then "Open" it and you'll find all of the folders inside, just delete (if you're happy to do so) or copy the folder to the computer (backup) the existing POI folder & replace it with an empty version of it.

You can the insert a MiSD card into the unit and then you can install any POIs to both or just the card for future use.
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
When the computer's connected to the unit, use My computer find the unit, then "Open" it and you'll find all of the folders inside, just delete (if you're happy to do so) or copy the folder to the computer (backup) the existing POI folder & replace it with an empty version of it.

You can the insert a MiSD card into the unit and then you can install any POIs to both or just the card for future use.

Cheers, it makes sense. I thought the folder structure on the unit would be right protected. I could just rename it with a ! In front.

What size Micro SD is recommended?
Cheers
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 4Gb card in mine at the moment, but I have tried a 8Gb one & that works too.

I don't know what the maximum "supported" size is though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: