Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera warnings pop ups in funny charactors!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera warnings pop ups in funny charactors!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azee13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: speed camera warnings pop ups in funny charactors!!!! Reply with quote

Hi, I downloaded and updated pocket gps worlds's speed camera data base in to my built in Garmin satnav, all went well and updated successfully but what i don't understand is when i aproach a cemra there is this funning thing pops up (gatso..@ and so on) which i do not understand. Is it how the garmins speed camera alert works or is there anything wrong with the database or is it how the database is created???? So confusing!!!!. It does not say whats coming ahead very clearly. I am used to tom tom, what tomtom does is it pops up a speed camera icon with clear distance and warning siren. can sombody help me please!!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model number?

The alert is usually in the format

GATSO:12345@50

Where GATSO is the camera type. 12345 is the camera ID in the database and @50 means the trigger speed is 50 mph.

Unfortunately it appear Garmin might be restricting the amount of information it can show.

Which database did you use? Personally I used to use the Consolidated database on my old Garmins.
azee13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hi, thanks,
its Kenwood DNX5240BT with Garmin City Navigator NT 2009.

To be honest i did not know what to use and i was directed to use the database for garmin which is the first "garmin" on the data base list.

I think you were right due to the size of the letters it does restrict the messge. can this be resolved if so ho can i do this??

thanks again.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the database is aupplied in the format as specified by Garmin. The amount of space for the alert is controlled by Garmin. Old units used to show the entire alert. New ones dont. Sadly all you can do is either use the speed zoned database and learn what the icons mean or ask Garmin to fix the problem. However I predict if you ask Garmin they will blame PGPSW!
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my system it pops up with "speed alert @ 30 mph" it might be worthwhile making sure your system is up to date (kenwood 3.1.0 and garmin update 2.7)
JSparrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with the Kenwood software but with the person who makes the .csv files. You can use a csv-editor and change the text in the third column. It's some extra work but you can make your own (funny)text.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSparrow wrote:
It has nothing to do with the Kenwood software but with the person who makes the .csv files. You can use a csv-editor and change the text in the third column. It's some extra work but you can make your own (funny)text.

Whilst the contents of the file are written by PGPSW the format is specified by Garmin. If you change the format to something "funny" you risk not receiving certain information such as camera type and database ID (which you need if you wish to submit any changes). Finally messing with the speed part (@30) will disable the units ability to alert you to the cameras.

Whilst the contents are controlled by PGPSW it is Garmin who decides how much space those alerts are given. As mentioned before older units used to show the WHOLE line, even on the tiny i3 screen. It's Garmins fault they no longer fit.
JSparrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the space issue; that's a Garmin problem. But the information in row 3 of the csv-file is ONLY displayed on your unit and NOT used to alert you. The system/POI Loader only uses the filename for this.
So if you're not interested in the camera id or the brand of the camera you can change this in another text like "camera 30" or "camera+red light 30".
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the information in row 3 of the csv-file is ONLY displayed on your unit and NOT used to alert you.

Except when it is!

The @30 in the 3rd column is used by POILoader to calculate some POI alert distances.

From the manual

Quote:
◦You can also enter speeds for each POI individually by adding the @ symbol and a number after the name of the POI. For example, a Custom POI named "Ridgeview@25" would create a POI named "Ridgeview" with a 25 mph speed alert.

In the case of the Consolidated (By Type) Database this is handy. Othewise the unit will alert at any speed above 0 mph.

Quote:
◦If a file contains "GATSO," "mobile," "SPECS," "safety," "speed," or "camera," but does not have a speed, POI Loader uses a default alert speed of 0, which means you will always be alerted.
JSparrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case. For me it works fine but then I have seperate csv-files for every type of camera.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: