Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom map advertising email
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom map advertising email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom map advertising email Reply with quote

I just had a brilliant email from TomTom:

Quote:
Dear Matthew,

Did you know that the map you downloaded (Map of Western and Central Europe) on 13 / 11 / 2008 with your Latest Map Guarantee is no longer the latest version?

Well, I could probably guess that a map I downloaded two years ago was not up to date. Pity they didn't check that since then I've had a subscription already, and downloaded many updates.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received it too. As I haven't yet updated the map on my 940 I am grateful for the opportunity to save some money.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I received it too. As I haven't yet updated the map on my 940 I am grateful for the opportunity to save some money.

And I appreciated the last offer, which I took up. Why then did their marketing people not notice my two purchases and many downloads between 2008 and now? Sure, the offer is nice though.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My e-mail says I last downloaded an update in Nov 2009, did not say anything about the updates I have received since. The TomTom Bug strikes again. Twisted Evil

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My email says 03/03/2010, but the last map I downloaded was Europe V855.2885 on 01/09/2010 and I still have several months left on my map subscription.

Nice to see that TomTom's own data about us is so up-to-date. On this basis anybody going to sign up for TomTom Assist? Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mz500r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that the map you downloaded (Map of United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland) on 11/14/2010 with your Latest Map Guarantee is no longer the latest version?

next map version due out then
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
My e-mail says I last downloaded an update in Nov 2009, did not say anything about the updates I have received since. The TomTom Bug strikes again. Twisted Evil

Exactly the same here.... Mad
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least they finally seem to have got the message that being told that you will also have to pay for 18 months of historic updates that you will never use (because they have already been superseded) to bring your map up to date is a con and puts most users off upgrading. And the date they gave of 10th June 2009 for my Western and Central Europe Map download is also correct in my case.

However why where was there no message about the North America map I also updated on the same day using the Latest Map Guarantee on my then new 940 and why is there no package price for the two maps (Western and Central Europe and North America) as obviously only the map for the map area people live in is usually worth the most money to them to upgrade. The deciding factor in my case that it is not worth bothering is that as I understand it this Western and Central Europe update would still not add Greece to my Europe map even though after the launch of the 750 and 950 series all new TomToms included Greece in the Western Europe map set. As the Greece map on its own is £29.99 or something then if Greece was to be bundled in to the European map 4 updates set that might be worth considering. At the end of the day there are no new roads being built near me in the UK and the only reason to update would be for my trips to Spain where they regularly build major new bypasses that Teleatlas does actually seem to get updates for and correctly map most of the time.

Also when are they going to do something about the quite obscene price of the two separate maps for Australia and New Zealand which will set you back something like £150 in total if you are taking a trip down under to visit these two countries. This clearly isn't worth it and you would be better of buying a satnav locally.

Lastly I presume that if I upgrade both the Europe and the North America map they will exceed the 4GB of memory on my 940 and I would be forced to invest in an 8GB SD card to support the new maps?
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a map download on the 1st October, got the email on the 10th October telling me the same ie, your maps are out of date and if you subscribe....

Now I know that I don't update them as often as I should, but what are the chances of TT releasing a new map just 7 days after I downloaded the 'new' version?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My maths might be a bit dodgy, but if the new maps are released 4 times a year, i.e. aprox. every 90 days, I think the chances are 7/90 or about 1 in 13 that they will release a new map version within a week of someone downloading the current one.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
My maths might be a bit dodgy, but if the new maps are released 4 times a year, i.e. aprox. every 90 days, I think the chances are 7/90 or about 1 in 13 that they will release a new map version within a week of someone downloading the current one.

Except of course that a new TomTom owner will be covered by the Latest Map Guarantee for the first 30 days..................

Either way I certainly wouldn't have bothered subscribing to map updates on the old basis with having to pay a lot to bring my now 15 month old maps up to date first when so many road changes in the UK still fail to be updated by Teleatlas on the maps.

It is clear from the part of Spain I often go to where major new road schemes still happen regularly that major road changes do usually get pushed through within a year of happening but in the south east of england teleatlas seems to be no use at all at things like the replacement of a traffic light junction with a roundabout or the reversal of the direction of a one way street. Most annoying of all are the sections of road that are completely missing on my TomTom device (not due to new roads being built but simply because Teleatlas's mapping is inaccurate and they refuse to take any notice of numerous customer reports of those inaccuracies) as Map Share still doesn't allow the end user to correct those errors on their maps. Evil or Very Mad
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the same email saying I need the map update service and my last download date, but now Home has started telling me I should buy the map update service which I already have. I hope TomTom have not deleted my service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: