Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Various Zumo & PGPSW questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Various Zumo & PGPSW questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willmow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Various Zumo & PGPSW questions Reply with quote

I have some queries that I've been stacking up. Some of them may be specifically Zumo 660 related. When on the bike I'm more focused on the audio than the visual, hence the emphasis on audio:[b/b]

Can I remove the red light camera POIs or will this also remove the combined red light + speed cameras?

How far ahead is the audible warning on a Zumo 660? Sometimes it seems way ahead, sometimes close.

Why does the higher-pitched 'above speed' warning sometimes ping relentlessly, sometimes ping just once (assuming one is above the speed limit when approaching a POI)?

Is there any way of removing these 'above speed' pings? It's enough to know there's a POI coming up - I don't need nanny telling me what I know already about my speed.

Is there any way of editing sounds so that you can distinguish audibly e.g. between a fixed camera and a mobile site?

Is there any way of making the on-screen indications of upcoming POIs larger (we're not all blessed with perfect reading eyesight)?

Unless I'm mistaken, I often find the positions of average speed cameras are incorrect within an average speed zone on motorways. Aren't such positions irrelevant, anyway? Surely we only need to know the starting point, then it's up to us to spot where they end - and to keep to the speed limit within the zone (not PTWs!!)?

Do mobile camera traps operate at night?

Why does the Zumo show speed limits when you are following a pre-programmed route, but not when you simply have it passively on while driving?

What's to stop someone fraudulently submitting a mobile camera sighting, then getting his mates to 'confirm' the sighting in order to gain lifetime membership?

Do you get the impression the fuzz monitor the website and deliberately move around to avoid PGPS marking it?

I was in Bristol city centre the other day, and was getting a whole series of audible warnings, yet when I look at the POI map, I can't see any indicated. What could this be due to? (I have the 'official' Garmin POIs disabled.)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Various Zumo & PGPSW questions Reply with quote

willmow wrote:
Can I remove the red light camera POIs or will this also remove the combined red light + speed cameras?
that's fine to do so. redlight & speed (or 'redspeed' as we call them) are in the 'gatso' database.

willmow wrote:
How far ahead is the audible warning on a Zumo 660? Sometimes it seems way ahead, sometimes close.
if you use ash10's camera manager or CBROM's utility you can manually set your own warning distance/time per camera type and speed. this may be what you are looking for?

willmow wrote:
Why does the higher-pitched 'above speed' warning sometimes ping relentlessly, sometimes ping just once (assuming one is above the speed limit when approaching a POI)?

Is there any way of removing these 'above speed' pings? It's enough to know there's a POI coming up - I don't need nanny telling me what I know already about my speed.
i think you can change it in settings / proximity points and then after selecting 'custom poi' you can remove the 'continuous' warning.

willmow wrote:
Is there any way of editing sounds so that you can distinguish audibly e.g. between a fixed camera and a mobile site?
some garmins can use mp3 audio files. we have a bunch here. or you can make your own but make sure they are named the same as the poi file - eg gatso_uk.csv and gatso_uk.mp3 etc.

willmow wrote:
Is there any way of making the on-screen indications of upcoming POIs larger (we're not all blessed with perfect reading eyesight)?
unfortunately not Sad

willmow wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, I often find the positions of average speed cameras are incorrect within an average speed zone on motorways. Aren't such positions irrelevant, anyway? Surely we only need to know the starting point, then it's up to us to spot where they end - and to keep to the speed limit within the zone (not PTWs!!)?
they often get moved around during roadworks and sometimes there is a delay in this getting this into the database for example if they are moved on a wednesday then they may just miss the database release and the change won't be seen until the following week.

willmow wrote:
Do mobile camera traps operate at night?
yes, they can.

willmow wrote:
Why does the Zumo show speed limits when you are following a pre-programmed route, but not when you simply have it passively on while driving?
speed limits on the road or speed camera warnings? not sure to be honest... i've never used a zumo so can't comment specifically on the software.

willmow wrote:
What's to stop someone fraudulently submitting a mobile camera sighting, then getting his mates to 'confirm' the sighting in order to gain lifetime membership?
no lifetime submissions are given for mobile sites until multiple further sightings have been reported and a verifier has matched the location with the submitted comment etc. it's not flawless and we are not aware of any offences but the only other option is to NOT offer the lifetime subs for mobiles but then what reason do people have to keep submitting all sightings?

willmow wrote:
Do you get the impression the fuzz monitor the website and deliberately move around to avoid PGPS marking it?
sometimes it can seem like it but then, to be honest, i don't think they would have the time to constantly monitor it. it is more likely that people get used to a site being used and their income stream decreases, so they move elsewhere.

willmow wrote:
I was in Bristol city centre the other day, and was getting a whole series of audible warnings, yet when I look at the POI map, I can't see any indicated. What could this be due to? (I have the 'official' Garmin POIs disabled.
garmins default alert distance, in my opinion, is far to large. that along with the fact that they don't allow 3rd parties to use directional data means you can sometimes get false alerts at quite a distance. also note that any POI with a number in the title will automatically be converted to a speed alert eg Q8 garages (8mph alerts), 4-star Petrol (4mph alerts) etc. There's not much else I can add to this without knowing exactly what POIs you have installed and exactly where in Bristol you were!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: