Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera alert volume on Go 520 can it be increased
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera alert volume on Go 520 can it be increased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steamatone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Camera alert volume on Go 520 can it be increased Reply with quote

My trusty Go520 suits me fine but I do find the Camera Alert volume to be too low. Is it possible to increase the volume and perhaps even the warning sound?
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the extra time to make the alerts as text to speech by typing in the words yourself, the warnings will then be as loud as the navigation instructions and use the same voice.

When you first start it seems to be a long winded job, I have done it twice now for each type of camera and it takes about 35 minutes. If only someone could tell us how to copy and paste into a file it would become very easy to do.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
If only someone could tell us how to copy and paste into a file it would become very easy to do.

Sadly that isn't possible, the text you enter is stored in the "MapSettings.cfg" file which you will find in the Western_Europe or UK&ROI map folder, the file is encrypted binary though - Mike
steamatone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Increased camera alert volume on Go 520 Reply with quote

Thanks Eric & Mike for your responses but being a non-techy I really need word by word guidance on making the changes you suggested although I am not sure now if Mike is saying it can or can't be done!!
Come on guys, can I increase the alert volume or not and change the tone to another sound or even voice? If so can you provide a step by step guide to doing it. I really don't want to do anything that stops the unit performing as it does.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for the TomTom database or PGPSW one?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pgpsw database and I use the Liz Whittaker voice (with loud siren) from HERE

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go.php

This is the link that takes you to how you install the cameras on you device and create your own warnings using text to speech. It does still work but does take some time. Within limits you can use whatever text you want.

The relevant part is almost at the end where you can select "Type in your own warning"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Increased camera alert volume on Go 520 Reply with quote

steamatone wrote:
My trusty Go520 suits me fine but I do find the Camera Alert volume to be too low. Is it possible to increase the volume and perhaps even the warning sound?

steamatone wrote:

Come on guys, can I increase the alert volume or not and change the tone to another sound or even voice?

You haven't given us much to go on in terms of what you have ALREADY done, whether you are using the TomTom data or a third-party one such as from this site, or whether you are using a built-in sound or sounds or voice warnings downloaded from here or elsewhere.
It all makes a big difference to the answers we can give!

The previous questions and suggestions cover most of the bases, but to baldly answer your question - there is no individual volume control for the warning sounds.

This means that you have to choose a sound (or voice) alert that is as loud as possible and that "cuts though" as much as possible.

One thing you will find is that the "computer" navigation voices on the TomTom are quite a bit louder than the "real" voices.
This means that if you use a "real" voice for the navigation, you will end up with the volume setting slightly higher than you would do for a computer voice and therefore the warning sounds/voices will be slightly higher.

All of the warning voices downloadable from here have been made as loud as is technically possible without excessive distortion, they match the real voices quite well, but will always be a little bit quiet when using a computer voice. I've asked TomTom on MANY occasions to address this issue with no luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: