Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - change voltage from car charger to satnav from 12v to 6v.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

change voltage from car charger to satnav from 12v to 6v.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: change voltage from car charger to satnav from 12v to 6v. Reply with quote

Hi. ive been using igo8 on my phone for ages in my campervan using an car charger plugged into the cig lighter and have just bought a little moped with the intentsion of using the igo8 and the ped in london during the day to avoid the daily conjestion charge payment.

My camper has a 12 volt electic system but the little moped only has a 6volt eletric system. I want to make up and run an ad hoc cigar lighter and wire it direct to the bikes battery but i will need to get some info about changing the voltage output. the bike batt is six volts and the phone only users 3.7 volts, so maybe i could reduce the power to the phone in someway.

anyone here know how. have you done this yourself? please let me know.

thanks,

Stella.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to struggle there. You'd need to have a supply that can take the bike's 6v and output the voltage that your phone requires (what phone is it?). It's not technically difficult but you need to ensure that the voltage is controlled and doesn't spike or you risk killing your phone.

A simpler solution would be a USB battery pack, which would be able to power your phone (assuming it can be charged from USB?) and which you could take in and re-charge overnight or whilst at work? There are many types available but this one which we reviewed recently has a 5000 mAh battery (more than twice the capacity of an iPhone) and should last a whole day powering your device.
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi darren. its an old windows based phone about 3 yrs old now. an o2 xda zest. i like it cos it seems i can run many apps on it but it eats up the battery when running gps without being plugged into a car charger. spose someone at maplins may have an answer for me, maybe!

the power pack is a good idea but abit pricey for me being £50 but thanks for showing it to me anyway Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked and can't find any universal power adapters with a 6v input. Let us know if you find a solution?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try connecting the 12V addaptor straight to the bikes 6V supply it should still work as the addapter will still be regulating the output to a voltage lower than input - Mike
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mile. that idea did pass my mind but thought it to be just to easy to work ok. yes. i think it will work just half the voltage but it should equal out to be about right to charge the phone. thanks for that idea. im going to try it with a voltmeter before i conect the phone first :-) - Stella
Stella76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would try connecting the 12V addaptor straight to the bikes 6V supply it should still work as the addapter will still be regulating the output to a voltage lower than input - Mike

Hi. just tryed connecting the addaptor strait to the batt with the engine running. the gen gives out 6.20 volts but the phone doesn't charge. I was wondering if i could use a series of capacitors to make the voltage up the 12v so the adaptor push the power the phone on the charge mode?

Stella.
philipe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Voltage regulator Reply with quote

Do a search for a 3.7volt regulator. There are a few circuits you could use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: