Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras installed on kenwood dnx7260 bt but dont work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras installed on kenwood dnx7260 bt but dont work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johng4nho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras installed on kenwood dnx7260 bt but dont work Reply with quote

Has anyone else had this problem.

Installed the cameras on SD card using the POI installer, folder name is garmin, they are showing as custom pois but only the list of cameras is showing, They don't show on the map as icons nor do I get any warnings noises.

Just can't work this out. Kenwood can't neither as yet.

Has anyone any ideas
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the Factory-Fit and In-Dash forum.

Did you install the icons as well? The garmin folder name bit is for Kenwood models that use a CD for install only.

As yours is DS based that is not required. Our Install Guide is here.
johng4nho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I've followed the install instructions you attached, the folder name was something kenwood told me (wrongly it seems).

I have the icons on my hard drive, but when i run the poi installer, i get just one file under garmin/poi/poi.gpi i assume thats what the installer does. so as to your question, how would I know!

Its not just the icons though, there's no cameras on the maps, so even though I seem to have a list in the custom poi area, they are not actualy on the maps at all!! I'm very off, only bought the unit yesterday and not impressed with the sat nav, I've just downloaded one on my iphone with cameras and it cost me nothing...

Shall i just copy over all the unzipped files (csvs, icons etc) on to an sd card with no folder, bung it in and see what happens!! Kenwood don't even know what the problem is, I can only assume as it a new model has some bugs.

Anyway thank you for coming back to me so quickly really appreciate it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually tried driving around or trying a demo route past a known camera?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shall i just copy over all the unzipped files (csvs, icons etc) on to an sd card with no folder, bung it in and see what happens!! Kenwood don't even know what the problem is, I can only assume as it a new model has some bugs.

Won't help I'm afraid. You've already done everything right as you stated here

Quote:
I have the icons on my hard drive, but when i run the poi installer, i get just one file under garmin/poi/poi.gpi i assume thats what the installer does. so as to your question, how would I know!

As they are listed in the Custom POI List then it sounds ok. Be aware that some Garmin based units don't show POIs on the maps until you zoom right in. As Darren suggests a demo or real drive should proove it working ok.
bulubulu2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new on this forum too! I have the smaller version of the Kenwood (DNX 5260BT) with a micro SD card slot and have followed instructions to the letter with exactly the same problems as johng4nho. In fact if I insert the SD card into the unit, nothing happens. I ended up simply extracting the zip file and copied all files directly to the card. The unit says that the POIs are updated but after a drive around, no cameras are detected. Any help is much appreciated[/quote]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulubulu2005 wrote:
Hello! I'm new on this forum too! I have the smaller version of the Kenwood (DNX 5260BT) with a micro SD card slot and have followed instructions to the letter with exactly the same problems as johng4nho. In fact if I insert the SD card into the unit, nothing happens. I ended up simply extracting the zip file and copied all files directly to the card. The unit says that the POIs are updated but after a drive around, no cameras are detected. Any help is much appreciated

The files do need to be extracted. Copying them to the card directly will not work, you must use POI Loader.

Can you please retry and then tell us what files are listed on the memory card after you have used POI Loader?
bulubulu2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
bulubulu2005 wrote:
Hello! I'm new on this forum too! I have the smaller version of the Kenwood (DNX 5260BT) with a micro SD card slot and have followed instructions to the letter with exactly the same problems as johng4nho. In fact if I insert the SD card into the unit, nothing happens. I ended up simply extracting the zip file and copied all files directly to the card. The unit says that the POIs are updated but after a drive around, no cameras are detected. Any help is much appreciated

The files do need to be extracted. Copying them to the card directly will not work, you must use POI Loader.

Can you please retry and then tell us what files are listed on the memory card after you have used POI Loader?

Hi Darren,

Many thanks for replying so promptly. I have used both Mac and Windows to do this. Using the POI loader, a new folder called "garmin" is automatically created. Opening the folder a subfolder called "POI" is created. There is only 1 file called "poi.gpi" in this folder. I have enabled windows to show all hidden files as well - no other relevant files other than poi.gpi show up. I have inserted the card into the unit when the Nav menu is on - no response at all from the unit. The only time something remotely promising has happened is when I've copied the files onto the card without using the loader, but although the unit seems to have acknowledged the transfer of POIs, in actual fact nothing has happened. I have driven around various routes with well established cameras en route but it has not picked up a single one! I'm pulling my hair out!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the absence of a unit to test I really can't offer much more in the way of advice.

POILoader is doing what it should. Kenwood may have changed something but only they would know. When we have discussed POIs with them in the past they have proved to be rather clueless to be blunt!

All I can suggest is that you call Kenwood and ask why this isn't working. I don't suppose there is anything in the user manual about installing POIs that would throw some light on this?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note from the instructions those using CDs can have problems if the garmin folder doesn't have a capital G - Garmin

Can you try upper and lower case combinations for the folder and filenames?

I realise you are using an SD card but who knows?
bulubulu2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I note from the instructions those using CDs can have problems if the garmin folder doesn't have a capital G - Garmin

Can you try upper and lower case combinations for the folder and filenames?

I realise you are using an SD card but who knows?

Thanks for advice Paul. I'll have a go at that tomorrow as it is cold and dark out there now! I don't hold much hope though...

I wonder if changing the name of the SD card might help? It's simply called "Untitled" at the moment. I'll try renaming it to "Garmin" and see what happens. If all else fails I'm going to contact Kenwood and also the guy who installed my unit to see if they can cast any light on this problem.

Surely there must be other forum members out there with the same problem?!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The problem is there are many different models and for some reason what works on one model doesn't necessarily work for another!! As mentioned above asking Kenwood or Garmin might help but rarely proves fruitful.

If you do a search of the forum with the word "5260BT" this very thread is the only one that comes up which means you appear to be the only person on this forum with that model who has posted anything about it.... Crying or Very sad
bulubulu2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

The problem is there are many different models and for some reason what works on one model doesn't necessarily work for another!! As mentioned above asking Kenwood or Garmin might help but rarely proves fruitful.

If you do a search of the forum with the word "5260BT" this very thread is the only one that comes up which means you appear to be the only person on this forum with that model who has posted anything about it.... Crying or Very sad

...out of curiosity/frustration I decided to brave the wind/rain/cold and tried once more with the name changes but to no avail! Sad

I've emailed Kenwood but I doubt they will be able to help...should have stuck with Tomtom, never had a problem with them! Thanks for your help anyway and if I do find a solution to help others I will post it on here...just have to remind myself to cancel my subscription otherwise... Sad
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Pocketgps camera database on KENWOOD DNX7260bt Reply with quote

Hi johng4nho

First of all download Garmin POILoader from Garmin. Also download Garmin GPX Converter.

Next download the latest consolidated speed cam database for Kenwood DNX 7260bt (which is the one for Garmin POI loader)

Once you have downloaded the zip file, place it in a folder on your pc. e.g.: c:/speed cams.
Then unzip the file with WinZip into the folder you have created. You will now see all the camera *CSV files and associated bitmaps.

Run Garmin GPX Converter.exe, it will say select and convert files.
Point to your folder where you unzipped the *CSV file to.

Highlight *CSV files and click open. Now go back to where you unzipped the original files and you will now see *GPX files have been added.
e.g.: pocket_UK_gatso.gpx. (The GPX files hold more information)
Your original file will have been renamed e.g., pocket_UK_gatso.csv.old

Run POILoader, when it opens click next. Have your SD Card connected to your pc and only have a directory named (name of drive:/GARMIN.

Highlight radio button Garmin Device and click next.
You will see a screen that shows where your SD Card is e.g., Removable Disk (H:|\) click next.
Highlight radio button: Install new custom poi’s onto your device. Click next.

You will see please select directory where the data files can be found, e.g., c:/speed cams. Select Feet and MPH in box and under that select Manual. Click next

All your poi files if you have others will be shown at the top as you click on next as you go through them. Make sure the two square radio boxes are not ticked.

When you get to please choose the settings for the file e.g., speed Cams/ pocketgps_UK_gatso tick the box this file contains proximity alert points.

Tick radio button Alert when speed is greater than the Alert Speed. (I leave it at 0 mph for all of them) I only put a distance on red-light cameras.

If you then go to your drive where your SD Card is e.g., H: Removable Disk, you will see original folder H:/GARMIN double click that and you now have a sub folder named POI. e.g., H:/GARMIN/POI

Take your card to your Kenwood DNX7260bt; place it in the slot behind the screen label side up. The unit will see the card and ask if your want to overwrite your custom poi’s, tap yes. When done remove your card.

Hey presto now when your driving you will get a bleep and a camera bitmap come up on your map also giving you details of the oncoming camera.

Hope this will help you, it does work on the Kenwood DNX7260bt head unit.
Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: