Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera Procedure Nissan Connect
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera Procedure Nissan Connect
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Speed camera Procedure Nissan Connect Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Hi

I am a novice and possibly a trite slow on the intake!!! So could some kind person send me a detailed procedure step by step in the Downloading and installation of speed cameras for the Nissan Connect.
I have made efforts tofollow the GPS procedure and got as far as a list on Microsoft XL but dont really know where to go next.
I have a Sandisk 16gb memory stick and operate Windows Vista.

Your kind detailed procedure will be greatly appreciated .

Thankyou
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation guide paragraphs are numbered. It would be useful if you told us the paragraph number where you are having the problem so that we can see how far you have got. There is no mention of Excel in the guide so can only assume that you have double clicked the *.csv file and it has opened in Excel. This is not neccessary as part of the installation.
I'm sure that a Connect expert will be along in a bit to help you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved this to the Nissan forum.

Our install guide is available here.

Direct Link:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-nissan-connect.php
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I've moved this to the Nissan forum.

Our install guide is available here.

Direct Link:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-nissan-connect.php
Hi

Sorry to be a pain but i have the procedure before me and it is obvious that i am not operating the procedure correctly as my first attempt to install the cameras my computer crashed and i lost everything and had to re install windows! Therefore i am a little apprehensive to follow the existing procedures again that is why i am seeking a more detailed procedure.

I sincerely hope you appreciate my concern.

Many thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procedure linked to above is the full procedure. It doesnt get or need to be any more detailed than it already is.

Quite how you got into a situation where you needed to reinstall Windows I have no idea! The procedure is used by many others who have successfully installed the database. If you are not familiar with some of the things you are asked to do then it might be worth seeing if a friend or family member can help. However to be honest the procedure is fairly straight forward anyway.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Paul has clarified, the procedure is a simple file copy and could not possibly result in a need to re-install the operating system?

However, you will appreciate that the procedure is that dictated by Nissan (and also provided in the Connect Operating Manual).

It requires only basic computer skills but if you are at all hesitant then you would be best advised to enlist the help of someone who is more comfortable with PC's.
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As Paul has clarified, the procedure is a simple file copy and could not possibly result in a need to re-install the operating system?

However, you will appreciate that the procedure is that dictated by Nissan (and also provided in the Connect Operating Manual).

It requires only basic computer skills but if you are at all hesitant then you would be best advised to enlist the help of someone who is more comfortable with PC's.
Question

Hi

I am fully aware of the procedures and have applied them as laid out in your installation guide using Winzip for the Zip file download. I extract the files from the zip files to my Downloads.

Insert my sandisk memory stick of 16GB open 2 folders Mypois/Mypoiwarnings and Copy the extracted files (which have been located in Microsoft Exel ) Checked the disc content to ensure the folders have been copied.

Followed the installation as laid down but no download occurs???

S o once again have I missed something as I have never had any previous problems and I do follow the instructions

Maybe my computer crashed because I tried to open the zip file without using Winzip which I have now installed.

Please help me resolve this problem.

Thankyou
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you have not had previous problems. Have you managed to download and transfer the cameras across in the past?

Something I note from your reply is that the capitilisation of the folder names is different to the instructions (x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings). I don't know how important this but may be an issue.

Also, you are asked to just copy ONE file onto the USB stick but you have said "files". Again, I don't know how the Nissan system would deal with extra files but I suspect you are asked to delete the others in step 3 for a reason.
Brodit ProClip mount
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
You say you have not had previous problems. Have you managed to download and transfer the cameras across in the past?

Something I note from your reply is that the capitilisation of the folder names is different to the instructions (x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings). I don't know how important this but may be an issue.

Also, you are asked to just copy ONE file onto the USB stick but you have said "files". Again, I don't know how the Nissan system would deal with extra files but I suspect you are asked to delete the others in step 3 for a reason.

Hi Gerry

No I have not downloaded speed cameras before but I have downloaded other systems. All I am saying is that this download seems to be defeating me. In my last was I carrying out the correct actions?

I am not quiet clear on what "paragraph 5" of the installtion guide is meaning: There is no prompt( x= ) being shown when inserting the memory stick. Is it right that the camera download should be in Microsoft Excel?

This is certainly not straight forward the nissan connect presents no problem. The problem is transfering the download to the stick.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "x" is whatever drive letter your PC has allocated your USB stick. It could be anything depending on what you have connected to your PC and how you have set it up.

When you have done the copy, the address bar should say x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings where x is the letter allocated to the USB stick. There should be one file in that folder called pocketgps_uk_sc.csv .

Saying it's an Excel file is a red herring. It's a file in csv format which can be used by a variety of programs. On your PC, it has been associated with Excel but all that really means is that it will load in Excel if you double-click it. We don't want you to do that. You just need to copy it to your USB stick and the Nissan should read it.
Brodit ProClip mount
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
The "x" is whatever drive letter your PC has allocated your USB stick. It could be anything depending on what you have connected to your PC and how you have set it up.

When you have done the copy, the address bar should say x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings where x is the letter allocated to the USB stick. There should be one file in that folder called pocketgps_uk_sc.csv .

Saying it's an Excel file is a red herring. It's a file in csv format which can be used by a variety of programs. On your PC, it has been associated with Excel but all that really means is that it will load in Excel if you double-click it. We don't want you to do that. You just need to copy it to your USB stick and the Nissan should read it.

Hi

It appears that i am getting no where fast. I am not double clicking i extract from winzip to my downloads and it shows the unzip file is in Microsoft Excel. I dont know what to do next?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airborn wrote:
It appears that i am getting no where fast. I am not double clicking i extract from winzip to my downloads and it shows the unzip file is in Microsoft Excel. I dont know what to do next?

OK, let's take this step by step.

Firstly, as Gerry said, the file isn't Excel, it's simply in a format that is also used by Excel, ignore that fact.

Locate the files you unzipped, and then, as per the guide, delete all of the files unzipped except for except the file named pocketgps_xx_sc.csv (where xx is I'm guessing 'UK').

Once you have done that post back and we'll move to the next stage,
airborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
airborn wrote:

OK, let's take this step by step.

Firstly, as Gerry said, the file isn't Excel, it's simply in a format that is also used by Excel, ignore that fact.

Locate the files you unzipped, and then, as per the guide, delete all of the files unzipped except for except the file named pocketgps_xx_sc.csv (where xx is I'm guessing 'UK').

Once you have done that post back and we'll move to the next stage,

Sorry Darren

I The unziped file reads: (pocketgps_xx_sc ) no mention of csv in my download file but it does say Microsoft Excel under the title ?? Where do we go from here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine. You must have the file extensions (the .xxx bit after the filename hidden), that's normal with a Windows machine.

But once unzipped you should have a number of files? Have you removed all except the pocketgps_uk_sc one?

Next step is to plug-in your USB memory stick. Once you can see it in Explorer you need to ensure the folder structure matches exactly the one provided in the guide, i.e.

x:\myPOIs\myPOIWarnings

In other words, you need a folder at the top level of the memory stick (the level you first see when you browse the memory stick) called myPOIs and within that there needs to be one called myPOIWarnings.

The case of the file name is important.

Once you are happy that it is correct, right-click the pocketgps_uk_sc file, select 'copy' then browse to the folder called myPOIWarnings on the memory stick, right-clik again and select paste.

If you've done things correctly you will see the pocketgps_uk_sc file within the myPOIWarnings folder.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airborn wrote:
The unziped file reads: (pocketgps_xx_sc ) no mention of csv in my download file but it does say Microsoft Excel under the title ??

Darren wrote:
That's fine. You must have the file extensions (the .xxx bit after the filename hidden), that's normal with a Windows machine.

I don't want to butt in on Darren's walk-through, but if you want to set your PC so it shows you the FULL filenames including the three letter extension (such as .csv in this case) do this:

Andy_P wrote:
To get Windows to show you the three letter extensions to the file names, do this:
Start either 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' and:
Go to the 'Tools' Menu,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list of entries and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

The above is for Windows XP, I the process is pretty similar for Vista...
Click Computer to get a display of your drive letters then at the top left of this screen is a button labeled "Organize" click this then select the "View" tab and continue as above.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: