Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poll - GO 1000 / VIA - Will you buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll - GO 1000 / VIA - Will you buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you be buying a GO 1000 / VIA in the next 3mths?
Yes I will be placing an order - the missing features are not important
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Yes I will be placing an order but want third party POI file support restored
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
I will wait for the features to be re-added before ordering
38%
 38%  [ 44 ]
I will consider an alternative model/brand
28%
 28%  [ 33 ]
I am not looking to upgrade
26%
 26%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 115

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bottom line is that unless TomTom add the poi features back again then I will never purchase another of their products. Okay, I have only purchased 5 over the last 6 years, but that is all I have had the need for.

So not only will they have lost the sale and profit from a new unit, but also the profit from the map updates Rolling Eyes
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am surprised that there are any votes for the option 1 though. You Brits do know the expression "You'll be sorry", don't you!

I am one of those mad 5% - can’t wait – Interested in POI’s, no – Interested in Speed Cameras, no – Want to navigate from A –B, yes – want the best traffic information, yes.
Here are some statistics:-
30 million UK cars – lets be kind and quarter it to 7.5 million as potential buyers. 5% of that is 375,000 sales at £280 per unit – THAT’S OVER 10 MILLION REVENUE – That would do me nicely !!!!

Wink Statistics read what you want to hear Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the profit on each unit is? There's no subscription income for the first 12mths.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There's no subscription income for the first 12mths.

No subscription charges, but they will be earning some cash from the accessories such as a lead to connect it to the PC for updates at £12:99, or the best part of £40 if you want a Brodit style mount for the 1000.

Why the big deal about the leads, well there is only one in the box, you can put money on it that when you need the lead in the house it will be in the car etc - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
I am one of those mad 5% - can’t wait – Interested in POI’s, no – Interested in Speed Cameras, no – Want to navigate from A –B, yes – want the best traffic information, yes.

While I value the speed cameras and other POIs from this site and elsewhere, lack of POI support doesn't bother me as much as the lack of access to the file system.

I've always used Explorer to back up my 720, as HOME overwrites previous backups with the current one, meaning you only ever have one version to revert to, and I've read about too many failed attempts to reinstall a backup via HOME to trust it.

I also want to access the file system for many other reasons. Those that come to mind immediately include checking version numbers of, for example, the postcode file and downloading an up-to-date one (which isn't included in map or software updates), customising screens like start up/shut down etc, using an image of my car as a cursor instead of the supplied ones, acquiring screen dumps to aid in troubleshooting on this site and elsewhere. There are many more.

Through these forums many, many users have solved problems with their devices by direct access to the file system that TT were unable to help with. But I suppose that's why they've removed that access - it's lost them sales when devices that were thought to be dead have been miraculously brought back to life!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I also want to access the file system for many other reasons. Those that come to mind immediately include checking version numbers of, for example, the postcode file and downloading an up-to-date one (which isn't included in map or software updates), customising screens like start up/shut down etc, using an image of my car as a cursor instead of the supplied ones, acquiring screen dumps to aid in troubleshooting on this site and elsewhere. There are many more.

And consider them all gone.

You won't have the ability to install any file unless TomTom provide it, so if your PostCode file is out of date you'll have to hope TT push an update. Similarly, no custom cursors, startup/shutdown screens etc (although even I would agree these are frills).

The charitable view is that the new platform will reduce issues and enable fixes to be pushed to your device, and that there will no longer be a need for us to take our own backups. Others may argue that is optimistic.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Similarly, no custom cursors, startup/shutdown screens etc (although even I would agree these are frills).

I agree they're frills, but they're frills I've got used to and don't want to lose.

Quote:
The charitable view is that the new platform will reduce issues and enable fixes to be pushed to your device, and that there will no longer be a need for us to take our own backups. Others may argue that is optimistic.

I think many would argue that, judging from past performance, any "fixes" that TT push to the device are likely to create more "issues" rather than reduce them.

I also wonder how CS will cope when forums like PGPSW are unable to reduce their workload by sorting out users' problems without them having to contact TT.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Seamaster wrote:
I don't use third party POIs, nor do I see any circumstances in which I would.

Wow! Do you mean you are actually happy with the POIs you get on the unit from new, or just that you don't use POIs at all?

I barely use them at all. The hotels, sometimes.

All I want is reliable A-to-B navigation with accurate traffic info. Everything else is just gravy.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why the big deal about the leads, well there is only one in the box, you can put money on it that when you need the lead in the house it will be in the car etc - Mike

Is this a USB2 - mini USB Cable ? or something special ?

If it is the norm I have loads of the things ! nearly everything come with one of these, cameras, mobiles etc.

A real problem ?
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder what the profit on each unit is? There's no subscription income for the first 12mths.

Profit margin will depend on the number of units produced and the country of manufacture (may be China?) shipping costs will be good news, and with a retail of £279 I would take an educated guess at SUBSTANTIAL.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were a standard type cable then there would be no issue but it's a proprietary connector with USB on the other end.

TT supply the cable and a cigar plug with a USB socket. You will need the cable to connect to your computer.

A problem? No. A nuisance? Yes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
Profit margin will depend on the number of units produced and the country of manufacture (may be China?) shipping costs will be good news, and with a retail of £279 I would take an educated guess at SUBSTANTIAL.

I very much doubt it is at all substantial. We had reports that previous models were making only a very small profit for TT and a similarly small profit for retailers.

TomTom are bundling 1yrs LIVE because the take up has been a fraction of the forecast. So there is an inherent cost in giving that away as well.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I should apologise to the Forum for taking the side of Tom Tom on this 1000 issue.
It would appear that I stand alone in its defence (well with four others). But we should have a balanced view
But I have to laugh at the “opinion poll” especially the first option
“Yes I will be placing an order - the missing features are not important”
Perhaps
“Yes I will be placing an order” would be less Trade Union like.
Can you expel members from this forum ?
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I very much doubt it is at all substantial. We had reports that previous models were making only a very small profit for TT and a similarly small profit for retailers.

I must be sad doing this on Saturday night and ordering a 1000 but here we go.

Tom Tom 2nd qtr results 2010:-

"•Gross margin of 51%"

Not bad where ever it comes from !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have placed an order for the unit complete with its single cable and plug in car charger unit I hope you don't drive a Volvo Cool as the charger has the ability to eject itself from the Ciggy socket at the slightest bump on the road. No doubt its a fault of the Volvo rather than something wrong with TomTom though..............

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: