Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what is needed to convert mp3 to wav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what is needed to convert mp3 to wav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somebody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: what is needed to convert mp3 to wav Reply with quote

I have just bought a nuvi 1390T, PocketGPS worked fine but no voice alert
I converted voices from mp3 using audacity 16bit 44khz the files didnt work on the satnav
then tried with another converter with same results
As I had donated to Ash10s camera manager I downloaded his sample files
they work fine , so I know I am loading everything correctly
can anyone suggest a program to convert mp3 to wav that will produce files that will work or tell me what I may be doing wrong in the conversion .
perhaps better still somthing that would allow me to modify Ash10s files so I could add a couple of words in such as warning
Thanks Peter
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are waiting for some specific advice, you might like to plough through the thread on ASH's Voice Utility - SOMEWHERE in there is the advice you need, IIRC (but I can't remember any details as it's a very long time since I used it). But Audacity works - as you say, I think it's the format you have chosen which is the problem, and one post does say what the correct one is.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity definaty works but you must getthe settings right. Do a search on Audacity and you should find the settings.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity is a great program for free, but does do things in a slightly odd way sometimes! It's a lot easier on something like ProTools or even Adobe Audition.
But assuming you are using Audacity, here we go...

I suspect you will need the files as 22,050 Hz (22.05 kHz) and 16 bit, but lets check out the files you have that DO work and see what they are.

First, using Windows Explorer, open the folder where you have the files that DO work, and right click on one of them. Select "Properties" from the drop down menu and then the "Summary" tab. That will tell you the "Audio sample size" (or more accurately, the "bit depth") which will probably be 8 or 16 bit).

It will also give you an idea of the sample frequency, although the figure is usually abreviated (44.1kHz is shown as 44kHz for example, not very useful).

So next, open that same file in Audacity.
In the panel to the left of the waveform display, it will show you the exact sample frequency. It will also show the a figure for the bit depth, but it will probably have opened the file as "32 bit float" - ignore that!

So you should now have the two figures you need.
Better (but more expensive!) audio editor programs would have shown you those figures straight away.

Now, you can open the files you want to convert in Audacity one by one.

You next need to set the output format for your final exported files...

To set the bit depth, go to the EDIT menu / Preferences and set the "Uncompressed output format" to your desired sewtting -probably either "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)" or "WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM)"

In order to change the sample rate you need to change the number in the "Project Rate" box at the bottom left of the main screen. DO NOT do it in the panel to the left of the waveform where you looked before as that will alter the pitch of your audio.

And finally, you need to use "Export as..WAV" in the File menu to re-save the file, (not "Save" or "Save project").
somebody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info
As you pointed out I was using the wrong button to change the frequency, not even realising that there was another button and even had I seen it, as it refered to the project I would have assumed that it was the wrong one
everything is now working as it should
Thanks again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so was it 22050Hz 16 bit you needed?
Was it a mono or stereo file? (I'd heard mono doesn't work on Garmins)

Be useful to know for others with the same problem.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought in the past it was always 44 hz Mono.
somebody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44Khz 16bit mono was the require settings

Just returned from a short holiday 450mile round trip
having used the Garmin for the first time I am not too impressed, the road names are sometimes incorrect, ie turn right onto louth road, should have been turn right onto skegness road, louth road being straight on, on a number of occasions the keyboard froze, trying to set a via route is not easy compared with the old TomTom I have been using and it doesnt know about speed limits on some minor roads
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Audio Converter converts different audio file formats, including mp3, wav, m4a, aac, wma, ogg, flac, ape.

Each format is provided with a corresponding profile kit and a preset editor in order to make a personalized preset. So you can create new presets, delete and edit the old ones (change the current parameters).

Free Audio Converter goes with both a single and a batch mode support.

Free Audio Converter contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.

Click Here
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: