Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8450 & 70
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8450 & 70

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDave1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Navigon 8450 & 70 Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a navigon but am really confused. What is the difference beween the 8450 live and the 70 premium live?
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8450 is the older model and has a few extras over and above the 70 model like real city 3d where you see some cities in true 3d reallity. The 70 has some functions that the 8450 doesn't like motion sensor so you do not have to touch the screen to see item pop up. It a;so has the ability to attach 2 phone via bluetooth at once which I believe the 8450 doesn't have.

They are very comparable models however the 8450 is made from glass where as the 70 is a standard plastic but again this is reflected in the price.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other advantages of the 70 are that

- (a big one for me!) it has the Live services SIM card actually in the device, ie no separate clunky plug-in module as in the 8450;

- the pricing of the Live services seems FAR better. 15 months included free for the 70 as against €60 sub on the 8450 (3 months free + €60 for 12 months). Not sure what the onward pricing of the services on the 70 is, but it'll be hard pushed to be worse than the 8450, and a lot can happen in 15 months.

I reckon there may well be other advantages in the new model (I don't know too much about the 8450), but these two would be well enough to swing me.

Also, there's no longer a 'buy' option for the 8450 on the site, so Navigon are no longer selling it direct - there are likely to be further developments in the next year or so, and the 70 is more likely to benefit most from any upgrades over the 8450.

However, if these points don't weigh much with a buyer and IF there's a big overall cost difference in favour of the 8450, and its features are what are wanted, then the 8450 makes sense (it is a good device after all).

It is a shame Real City 3D view isn't there - I'll ask them about that. It may be some system limitation, similar to the possible reason why the 8450 can't run the Truck navigation package. EDIT - Navigon confirm this is due to a hardware restriction).

Last edited by BigPerk on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Navigon say today on this very subject!
Quote:
The NAVIGON 8450 Live is our flagship with external Live Module. Here are some key features: capacitive real-glass 5 inch display, Real City 3D, Voice Interaction Pro, Multimedia Player and DVB-T ready. You can find a short movie ...about the NAVIGON 8410 (device without Live Module) with some more background information here: http://bit.ly/cUNcXj.
The NAVIGON 70 Premium Live is one of our new products with integrated Live Module. Here are the key features: Live Services Pro including Fuel Live and Events Live (availability depends on country), Professional Voice Command, Active Lane Assistant, City View 3D 2.0, Bluetooth hands-free kit 2.0. At our website you will find some more information: http://bit.ly/aKn7Dt.
We will also offer an upgrade for NAVIGON 8450 Live to NAVIGON 8450 Live Premium Edition including 6 new features, like Active Lane Assistant, City View 3D 2.0. It will also include the new Live Services Pro with Fuel Live and Events Live. Please find more information about this here: http://bit.ly/aiG4o2

The last bit about the upgrade may be of particular interest BigDave1234?

You might also like to have a very quick look through the user guide contents lists for the devices (off the Navigon site in the Customer Services section) just to compare the features, and see which set would suit you more.
BigDave1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys you have helped me to make my mind up I'm going to go with the new 70 as I don't need media and I somtimes drive trucks so the truck software is a bonus.

Cheers
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt the Truck navigation package is available on the 70 at the moment, BigDave1234. It just shows up against the 6310/8410 (NOT Live) models in the Navigon shop. Or have you seen something new (I know campervan-type people would be interested too)?

EDIT on 20/9 - Navigon will be producing a Truck&Caravan version of the 70 Premium - see their press release of 2/9/10. NOT, I would expect for the Live version, due to hardware/system limitations if it's still a similar situation as with the 8410 and 8450 (Live) units.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: