Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sizes of 920 vs 940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sizes of 920 vs 940

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Sizes of 920 vs 940 Reply with quote

How does the size of a 920 compare to a 940? - the reason I ask is I bought a case for my 940 off ebay (but from a retailer who frequently gets mentioned on here) that was sold as "Fits All Tomtom Go x20 x30 x40 x50 1000 & One XL" - it was a genuine TomTom case that came but it was for the 5/7/920 - and trying the 940 it is an extremely tight fit (in fact you can't get the zip to completely close) - surely this can't be right?! Is it just the newness that needs to wear off or are they different sizes before I start and kick off?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XL, 520 and 550 and they are all very similar but not exactly the same sizes. It depends on how flexible the case is - hard or soft case, and how much spare space there is around the devices. My XL is slightly wider than the 520 and the 550 is wider still. I can't speak for the x30/x40 devices but my three are all different bodies, even though similar. I think it would be worth getting in touch with the seller to say it's not as universal as they say, so what can they do about it. I would expect a genuine TT case to fit the device it's intended for and if it says 5/7/920, it would probably be too narrow for my two wider devices.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just measured mine for you and the 940 is significantly longer than the 920. It's also very slightly taller, but its a bit thinner.

By my reckoning:

Go 940 = 125x85x22 mm

Go 920 = 118x84x25 mm

The leather ones from TomTom were always a real tight fit, so it's not surprising the 940 won't fit in a case designed for the 920.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys - I think I will contact them and see what they say.
I did try a search on TomToms site to see if there was a spec sheet or similar but culdn't find anything.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom sell a hard carry case for the Go x40 and x50 series that I just recently snapped up on Amazon for only £6.97 delivered but that sadly now costs £17.14 again (either Amazon or TomTom must have been holding too much stock that they have now cleared).

This is quoted by Amazon as being a GO carry case for a Live device and it is made of very hard plastic with an optical glasses case like snap shut lid and a very tight fit for the unit inside. I see that on the TomTom website at www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/product/carry-case-for-go/index.jsp they also only list this as being suitable for the x40 and x50 series models. However the softer leather carry case listed by TomTom at www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/product/carry-case/index.jsp is shown as being suitable for the x20, x30, x40, x50 and 1000 series Go models as well as for numerous different flavours of XL units.

This suggests to me that for very snug fitting cases that the slightly different sizes of the x40 and x50 series units (which I believe all have the same identical size body) will make a difference compared to the x20 and x30 Live units which are of a different size (I think the x20 and x30 units all have the same body size but this is a different size from the x40 and x50 units). The x10 series of course had a much larger body still than any of the later Go models and so would require a huge case by comparison.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have the hard case at the moment but it's on its last legs (exactely the same fault as a couple of the reviewers on Amazon - lining started to break up and now hinge has gone) - so I need a replacement one.

The one off eBay was not a leather one, plus it was described as 'hard' but I would say its more like semi-rigid - it's very similar to this one so I would say its description is wrong on two counts!
The seller said they would accept it back no problem - we'll see when I get a refund.

Never thought of looking on Amazon so thanks for that - I'm off to order one now! Smile
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that my 730 fits fine into a case for a Nintendo DS. It's not as "fitted" so anything with a similar size should fit.

Currently at GAME for £6 but some of the themed ones are much cheaper. Other retailers are also available.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's exactly what I've been using for ages too. I've got four of them now.
I've recommended them so often I even had a picture still saved...

If you're lucky you can find a plain black one, otherwise you might need to unpick some embroidery of Mario or Sonic the hedgehog etc!

Only trouble is I can't fit a 5" screen model in them!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: