Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
aerotec wrote:
Also I was hunting for the "Network" button to view the LIVE phone signal. I found it in MENU - STATUS&INFORMATION-VERSION INFORMATION then tap Network.

Another major downgrade in critical functionality in this version along with no access to live battery charging status any longer being available.

I wouldn't say either were 'critical'. Useful, perhaps desirable but not critical.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm still undecided about taking the plunge with v9.058 on my 940 or waiting for a further fixed v9.063 or whatever to come along in four months time.

Can anyone confirm whether either fuel prices or weather forecasts work successfully with v9.058 on their x40 series units (there seem to be some reports that they aren't working) and has anyone from the UK tried roaming with the unit in terms of HD Traffic and other Live services in Europe or elsewhere since they upgraded to v9.058?
kitlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue with this shoddy piece of work. After the "upgrade" (??) to 8.058 and factory reset, I re-entered all my PGPSW POI warnings (takes quite a while). I then had a problem with the TT cycling on and off at start-up. I assume this auto re-boot is equivalent to a soft re-boot and it seems to erase the quick-fix data as it takes an age to re-acquire the sats. Anyway, I saw somewhere that the cycling issue can be fixed by erasing the mapsettings.cfg file. This solved the cycling problem but that's where the POI warnings data is stored, so the whole lot have gone. So I tried re-entering just one warning and guess what, the TT is back to cycling on and off. It seems that no-one at TomTom bothers to test software releases in the real world. How long is it going to take me to re-install the old program etc? Too long!
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again I was wrong and you were right! I was missing the critical difference between "Find Alternative" and "Recalculate Route". I'm happy now; apart from the live battery charging status being removed.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "cycling issue" have you tried a standard TT sound for the one warning? This could be related to the sound files, wrong bmp files or just a file table corruption

I have all the PGPSW zoned files installed with brief spoken warnings and they all work fine.

I have also noticed that the format of the phone contacts file has changed and is now full of exclamation marks which makes it trickier to manually edit so it shows the correct icons for Home, Work and Cell Phones.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel Prices and Weather work the same for me on 9.058 as they have done on other versions. The downloaded information is as suspect as ever.

I have wondered about the roaming as I did get an error message in the UK saying along the lines of "Live Services do not work when abroad".
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression in 9.058 that the recalculate button does a new route calculation from where you are now rather than a alternative route calculation that the earlier versions used to do. When I use it I keep getting the same route every time.
kitlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the "cycling issue" have you tried a standard TT sound for the one warning?

Yes, I am using a standard sound, although the list of available sounds includes duplicates, e.g. Bell 1 and bell 1 (upper and lower case). I don't know if that's normal? Can anyone confirm for me?

I did wonder whether I should delete everything from the TT and try a complete "clean" install. Is it possible to do that?
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now taken the plunge and installed v 9.058. Favorites and pocketgps speed camera warnings seem to be preserved. My non standard Plug In map colour scheme for the day time was lost and I had to reselect the plug in day time scheme.

It is logging on to the server and getting HD traffic but the fuel Live service is broken and I am also getting a message that I need to connect to TomTom Home to update the fuel POI information on my map for them to work as my fuel POIs are allegedly out of date. I have also had red/brownish screens when trying to change fuel type saying the device cannot connect to the server, even though it has just connected and retrieved HD traffic information. The unit has now just jammed at Download Fuel Prices with the broken green rolling circle and has soft rebooted itself. In other words more of the same old, same old rubbish improperly tested firmware plus why is there no information on the mobile phone signal strength anywhere at all in Status & Information Evil or Very Mad

I will report back once I have done another update with TomTom Home to see if any update to the fuel POIs is offered. I have a suspicion the developers of the 9.058 Navcore haven't allowed for the possibility you may be running my v830 map or indeed an earlier edition on a 940 unit.

EDIT:- I have just connected to TomTom Home and asked to update my device and no further updates of any kind were offered that post date the installation of Navcore v9.058 So in short this version is less chronic than v9.054 but Live services are broken for fuel stations including the i button that should provide the address and phone number of any fuel station chosen also not being selectable. Previously the address and phone number were shown with the fuel station in Navcore 8.371 Why do TomTom fiddle unnecessarily with things that previously worked if they are so incompetent that they are going to break them. The whole company seems to be led by its marketing tail who persistently demand numerous wizz bangy new feature enhancements that the software development team are quite clearly incapable of delivering. Evil or Very Mad
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the Fuel 'i' button by doing a Local Search for petrol then selecting a filling station from the list.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
...plus why is there no information on the mobile phone signal strength anywhere at all in Status & Information Evil or Very Mad

That is there, in the top-left button in the Information display (I forget what the label is - perhaps version?). You get a display with three buttons at the bottom, and one of them is "Network".
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the petrol stations are working as expected. When a petrol station is selected it brings up a summary screen saying FuelStationsEU x/y and it shows the price of that station and the distance.

Below that are two buttons, one marked Call and one marked Show Info. These two buttons can both either be greyed out or active, this depends on whether there is information relating to the phone number and information stored in the device. Not all stations have data available.

I have also noticed if you accidently press the call button there is no quick way of stopping the call.

Needless to say the prices are not accurate.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T - none of the 9 nearest filling stations nearest to me (in Chesterfield) have the Show Info button working when I press 'Nearest Nearby' in Fuel Prices and select each in turn from the list. All have it working and it shows the address, phone number and rating when I do a Local Search for 'Petrol' so all the data is there.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed somthing else odd about the petrol and show info button, all the ones that show info are labelled Petrol station and have a petrol pump icon. The ones which do not show info are FuelStationEU and have a petrol pump icon with a dollar sign against it.

For many stations there are both types at virtually the same point with the same name, so there is some sort of database error here.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
For many stations there are both types at virtually the same point with the same name, so there is some sort of database error here.

One of all too many that TomTom users have to suffer these days unfortunately. Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21

Jump to: