Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it Here At Last ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it Here At Last ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
31satara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using one of the sample cases with bike mount for almost a year. As mentioned, it did require a cut out for the moulding on the back. When clipped onto the mount this sealed well. I've never had any water ingress anywhere with the case - and I ride a lot in all conditions, MTB and road. (I have had water ingress without the case, and don't trust the unit unprotected in heavy/steady rain).
The case also adds significant protection to the unit.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31satara wrote:
I've been using one of the sample cases with bike mount for almost a year. As mentioned, it did require a cut out for the moulding on the back. When clipped onto the mount this sealed well. I've never had any water ingress anywhere with the case - and I ride a lot in all conditions, MTB and road. (I have had water ingress without the case, and don't trust the unit unprotected in heavy/steady rain).
The case also adds significant protection to the unit.

Did you use the case "off the bike" after you had slit it ,without the bike back ?

If so did it let water in via the slit or did it more or less seal itself ?

Did the slit stay the same size as you cut it or did it have a tendency to tear or get bigger ?

Thanks,

Ian
31satara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the case off the bike. It's a section cut out rather than a slit. It wouldn't seal with the flat back without something like gaffer tape put on the inside.
The cut hasn't changed or torn any more whilst I've been using it.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 31satara.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to say the Cycle Show was a month ago and the Satmap chap thought the cases were on the Satmap site already I wonder what has happened to them ?

If they are supplying "external" retailers first they must be delivering them by foot the amount of time it is taking.

Ian
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Protective case Reply with quote

It has arrived at least in USA priced at $34.99. My normal link to satmap site took me to me to the American satmap site. Do this mean we can expect it soon in the UK.

http://www.satmap.com/Accessories/ProSHIELD-Silicon-Protective-Case-Sand.html

Details from the site:

ProSHIELD: Silicon Protective Case (Sand)
The ProSHIELD is a silicon rubber protective case that has been designed to provide increased impact protection for the Active 10 GPS, allowing it to survive drops of up to 10 feet onto concrete. It also provides additional environmental protection against water and dust (IP67), making it ideal for users operating in extreme conditions or simply wanting another layer of protection for their Active 10 GPS. Available in black orange, sand or green.
Please note: The ProSHIELD fits snugly around the Active 10 (which ensures the case is water and dust proof). To ensure the fitting is air tight, only an Active 10 with a Standard Battery Back should be used with the ProSHIELD. A Slimline Battery Back or Mount Battery Back will not fit correctly, so this will not be water, dust or impact resistant if used with the Bike Mount Kit, for example.
Full instructions showing how the ProSHIELD should be used can be found in the User Guide.

Product Code: ACT10-ACC-01852-S[/img]
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my usual Satmap link is deferring to the US site for some reason.

I think it is a bit stiff that the case is available in the USA first rather than here.

Satmap is a UK company after all.

Ian
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just realised that the USA price is roughly equivalent to about 22GBP.

The last price I saw for the UK was a penny short of 40GBP.

Hope the price is revised for us though I won't hold my breath.

Ian
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

Do hold your breath.

When I google I can see a short comment stating:

Rubber case £39.99 - Available in black, orange, sand or green this silicon rubber protective casing fits onto the Active 10 offering increased impact

But the link does not follow through. Looks like we are being ripped off. Second class citizens, USA first and at a lower price. Anyone know of how to buy it in USA and get it shipped here. Would there be any tax/import implications?

Jean
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the USA Satmap site to see if you could buy it and get it shipped to the UK,but no you have to buy through Satmap UK.

I wonder why ?

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to having to pay way over the odds for virtually everything in this country. In particular, I think we pay more than just about everywhere else in the world for imported tech. My friend just visited the USA and got an iPad for 280 quid!

Extremely disappointed that a UK company seems to have jumped on the bandwagon and decided to shaft their UK customers in the same way that the foreign manufacturers do.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Extremely disappointed that a UK company seems to have jumped on the bandwagon and decided to shaft their UK customers in the same way that the foreign manufacturers do.

Quite agree Andy,and it's not just a couple of quid cheaper either,only £2 short of half the price in the UK.

I have been told more than once that Satmap read this forum,if so come on Satmap we have all bought your product,maps etc.,do us all a favour and match the US price when the elusive case goes on sale in the UK.

Ian
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
4ndynorfolk wrote:

Quite agree Andy,and it's not just a couple of quid cheaper either,only £2 short of half the price in the UK.
On behalf of the manufacturer: Very Happy One could say 'Why Not?' If you were in business, would you charge 'what the market will stand' for an item, or would you be 'British' about it and make a lot less profit? I guess I know the answer to that one. Twisted Evil Unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an email from reply from satmap today. It should be available next week from their UK site. The price will be relative to the USA price but not at the exchange rate calculation as there are other factors. such as USA pay pastage, UK has free postage and there are tax implications.

I await the final UK price
smashing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme wrote:
Had an email from reply from satmap today. It should be available next week from their UK site. The price will be relative to the USA price but not at the exchange rate calculation as there are other factors. such as USA pay pastage, UK has free postage and there are tax implications.

I await the final UK price

Hmm.. I await with interest too. Based on the US price, even with 17.5% VAT and postage that wouldn't be much over £30. Can't quite believe import duty would bring it up to £40..we shall see...

The more I look at the US site and prices, the more I wonder about the obvious price differentials. $14.99 (£9.38) for Screen Covers versus £17.01 (exc VAT) on the UK site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: