Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Start - a very very confusing problem...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Start - a very very confusing problem...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: TT Start - a very very confusing problem... Reply with quote

Chaps

This one has got me. Friend gave me his Start which would boot to the initial screen saying TT Start and do no more. Easy enough I thought, and having run the clear flash tool a few times, I tried to see what could be done. There was updated application so I tried this but the device would reboot and do the same thing.

So I took off the maps (and made a full copy of what was on the disk anyway), formatted the drive and reconnected to TT. Had a few applications to download, put the map back on and it would allow me to choose language, and a few more options until time. On choosing the style of time, it would then offer me the clock. Choosing any time would then stall the device totally and reset it, to go back to square one.

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to work. Interestingly, TT Home will update the application to what I think is the latest but then when restarting and running Home, Home tells me there is an application update required. If I click on this, it searches and finds nothing to update. It is currently running 9.053 as the application and an Australia map of 835.2419.

Is it the map that is out of date or something else? Whatever it is, a complete rebuild from scratch, letting Home provide the application data and only installing a map at the end will let me go part way through but only until the clock when it hangs again.

Any suggestions? This one is really bugging me and I've spent about 3 hours this evening trying different things to no avail. What should I be doing?

Incidentally I've run the clear flash tool numerous times as well...

Thanks
Andy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making the Explorer, not Home, backup try reformatting the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then restore your backup and see if it is any better.
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David.

That's what I did. Sorry for not explaining. It was a full format of the disk, FAT 32, not using quickformat.

Just tried restoring backup and the same. It boots, the yellow bar goes across the screen, the word Start comes up big and bad and it stays like that and does nothing else.

It hangs enough that the power button will do nothing. Only a press of the reset will turn it off.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried actually resetting the unit by holding the power button for 20 seconds or so?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You reset the Start by using its dedicated reset switch not the on/ off button, to get at the reset button you need to remove the black outer screen cover and you will find the reset hole next to the mini USB Socket, This page will show you the outer cover you need to remove - Mike
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - this is using the full reset button and not the power button which, when the unit hangs, does nothing at all. A reset is the only way to get the thing functioning again...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This[/color][/b][/url] page will show you the outer cover you need to remove - Mike

Some good dismantling pictures for the START on "How do I reset?" page on the TT website.

Go to http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/kw/reset and select your model.

They do seem to have made it particularly difficult to do on the START, wouldn't fancy trying to do that while driving. I think I would drill a hole in the outer case like they should have done.

But then they *do* say:

Quote:
In rare cases, your TomTom device may not start correctly or may stop responding...
Joker
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - but done all that.

In effect, I think the next stage has ot be rebuilding it from scratch but without a map at the moment as I wonder if that is creating some conflict?

Can anyone advise what the latest, stable application release is for the Start, so I know to check?

Thanks
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the device but on other devices a corrupt mapsettings.cfg file can do this. Try and delete this file from the map folder, it stores settings and favourites and will recreate itself.
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I am not familiar with the device but on other devices a corrupt mapsettings.cfg file can do this. Try and delete this file from the map folder, it stores settings and favourites and will recreate itself.

Thanks - will give it a go. Trying so many different variations and keep getting issues.

I can get the entire thing to work via Control my unit in TT Home, and it all works fine. As soon as I do it on the actual unit, it gets to the clock setting part and then crashes. Very very annoying but my stubborn streak is coming out at the moment.

Thanks for all help so far...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutching at straws but if any of the files you have restored from backup have read-only or hidden attributes set, this can also cause lockups.
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair call - only I'm trying to erase everything, format then reinstall from Home with fresh new files. Even then it's still creating some restarting issues...

I've also renamed my download folder in Home to ensure it is forced to download new files. Still the same....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: