Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Speed - strange happenings!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Speed - strange happenings!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW,

Many thanks for the info. I have downloaded GPAsist 2 and will try it with TT3. Should I take CheckPoint off first?

I swapped SD cards this morning with my 3950 and loaded TT3 stuff into it. A tight squeeze as it is only a 128mb card. Set Safety speed to 60 and gave it a whirl.

As long as you do not come close to a point where instructions are given all is well - goes into and out of safety screen fine. As soon as you get near an instruction the following happens:

Safety screen freezes at 1300yds every time, no voice command, and then basically clears except for speed. After some time the speed part seems to work - but nothing else.

Press button to return 'home' and we get action in that it calculates route - and calculates- and calculates on and on and on - it then goes into map view and calculates, calculates and so on. I don't think it actually freezes but becomes VERY SLOOOOOOOOW!

I will try GPAssist as you kindly recommended. Seems very versatile but i will probly have to get a 256mb card since I now only have the 128 on TT3 (swapped this morning) and only 3mb to play with!.

Many thanks

Graham
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave CheckPOInt installed - just don't try to run CheckPOInt and GPSAssist together, as it'll probably end in tears!

As I said, features are being added to GPSAssist all the time - the POI recorder is in closed beta now. If you decide to register, feel free to request to join the beta forum (read the instructions on the web page).

I find it best to have hardware buttons set to move speed limit down and speed limit up. I have my speed limit options set to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70, with GPSAssist set to use miles instead of kilometres.

David
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, TT3 refused to calculate a route to a destination stored in Favourites. This route had been used on 2 previous occassions without problems. The only thing that had changed was updating the POI OV2'2 on the storage card via the net.
Doing a soft reset, still the same problem. So removed all the POI bitmaps and OV2 files, another soft reset still no joy.
Reformated the SD Card and re installed the UK maps but TT just sits there calculating the route and not getting a result, 7 sat fixes shown.

Did a hard reset and re installed everything, Reformated the SD Card and re installed the UK maps and POI OV2's. and TT is working again and calculating the route. Wether this was caused by corruption of the SD card or other bug in TT3 I don't know but decided to reset the safety screen to 70. Were as the previous installation caused lockups with the safety screen set at anything less than 124, with it now set at 70 it works perfectly, safety switches in at 70 and navigator back again at below 70, Voice commands are working with plenty of warning when approaching junctions and no lockups during the last 2 days of use.

Why TT3 should now behave properly after a complete re installation is beyond me, the only difference with this install is that it was a complete installation from the Upgrade disk rather than an upgrade of TT2.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you have the problem and need to re-install, first find the files "MAP_NAME.CFG" & "NAVIGATOR GLOBAL SETTINGS.CFG" in the "My documents \TomTom Navigator Settings" folder and delete these. You will lose your settings and favourites and will need to rebuild them later.

It seems that these files can be corrupted in an upgrade (inc Traffic upgrade) and when corrupted they can cause all kinds of problems. If this is the cause of your problem, then it is a lot easier than a re-install.
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T,

I did a clean install of TT3 on a new 2210 - not an upgrade.

However, I wonder if it is worth deleting the 2 files you suggest and re-configuring?

Any problems with this approach?

Graham
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By upgrade I was refering to upgrading the version to 3.02 from 3.00 or 3.01. I had a problem after installing TomTom traffic which upgraded mine from 3.01 to 3.02.

Deleting these files fixed the problem so I assume there was some incompatibility between data stored in them and version 3.02. I could have been unlucky and corrupted the files some other way.

At the end of the day all that is stored in these files are the options you select from within TomTom and your favorites.
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T,

Deleted the files you indicated and we got some improvement.

This time when set to 70 the screen stopped at 1300yds just prior to the turn, no voice but on coming down below 70 the standard screen returned and I was told to turn at the right distance (400 yds). It then carried on as normal. Tried it twice (had to find suitable dual carrigeway). at least I'm getting no full time lock-ups.

It would interesting to see what happens when told to keep 'straight ahead' over the safety speed limit, eg, where one motorway peels off from another.

Anyhow, we've got some improvement.

Many thanks

Graham
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what happens if when in Navigator you go to the menu and touch "hide map". That puts it in a similar mode to above the safety speed. Do you get directions then?

One thing I have noticed is that during a traffic update it will not switch modes.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported this safety speed problem to TomTom on 1st June and this is all I have received back from them so far I am afraid...

"We apologize for not yet having responded to your email dated 01/06/2004 08.27 AM.
We will get back to you as soon as possible and apologize for the delay in answering your query.

Thank you for your patience and best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Crying or Very sad

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T,

Started by putting the screen into 'hide screen' mode as you suggested - it locked on m,oving the car and required a soft reset - no voice commands.

Set it back to standard screen and over 70 (my set speed) it came into Safety screen. Over 70 it stayed and below that speed it disappeared. All fine until coming at over 70 passed a notifiable junction when screen in safety mode stopped at 1300yds stayed for several seconds then displayed "current location" - no voice command.

Passed junction and came to below 70 - standard screen reappeared.

On comming to next junction where I should turn off, screen locked in Safety mode - no voice- and stayed locked.

I could get access to all icons when touching screen but could not get out of safety screen mode if you see what I mean. In most cases the base of the safety screen remained displayed, the rest of the screen displaying icons, etc.

I could only get the 'hide screen' mode back - eventually the safty screen with an active speed registration and compass saying only "current location" was visible - there was no way I could get back into the map as shown in Navigator mode.

Strange!!!

It appears to be directly related to the safety screen in some way (or hide screen mode)

Graham
raboyme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas for me? I'm using TomTom 3 on a Ipaq 3630. The CF card is 256Mb(Kingston) and the GPS TomTom wired(silver).

I don't get any voice instructions when the safety screen is on.

Roy
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just received an email from TomTom telling me to update to gps driver 3.02. I have already tried that - no improvement (I use wired a receiver).

They also suggest turning POI's off to see if this cures the problem. I will try this but in some ways it will defeat the object of the POI's especially the use of the Speed Cameras.

Will try this

Graham
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received this from TomTom....

Quote...

This is strange indeed. . .

When understood correct...as soon as you try to change/adjust the safty speeds the screen locks up? This can be caused by different reasons.

Could you be so kind to try the following:
Please make sure to install the application on to the main memory of the pda.
Please make sure to install the maps on to a SD/CFcard.

-Please make sure to format the CF/SD/MMcard before installing and that it's not locked. (tool flashformat.http://www.cnetx.com/format/)

We need to know the following to replicate the problem:

What map did you install?
Where are the maps installed?
Where is the application installed?
Where is the GPS software installed?
Kind of receiver used
Wired GPS:
Wireless GPS:
What kind of storage card do you use? (size,brand)
Build number Navigator? In mapview/Start/File/About...
Build number GPS software? In mapview/Start/GPS-status…/GPS under world map (right bottom corner)
ROM update:
For Navigator X please note the product code on the CD:
Version number of TTNX?
Did you experience this problem with earlier versions of TTNX?

*Thank you for taking the time to supply the details we requested.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Unquote...

I will supply the feedback answers they have asked for today and see what comes next!

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Just upgraded to 3.03 on my 2210.

No more problems with Safety screen - all works well; voice commands, 'hide map', etc, the lot!!!!!!

Will inform TomTom.

Graham
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham what GPS are you running??

cheers trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: