Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Speed - strange happenings!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Speed - strange happenings!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DavidW"]It was behaving that way on my setup before I had Traffic installed. Maybe I never waited long enough to see it disappear by itself. That said, I just don't see the point of the summary in Navigator mode, bearing in mind that the ETA and so on are at the bottom of the screen (unless you're in the Traffic mode where the 'line' is shown at the left of the screen, which I have the toggle for on a hardware button).

At least it's configurable!

David,
It seems to show for about 10 seconds. Was very usefull last Friday when I needed to go across country to Dorset, travelling west on the M27 the summary showed TT routing me off the M27 west onto the M3 towards Winchester when it should have left me on the M27 to join the A31 towards Ringwood. Doing a soft reset and navigate to again and it got the correct route. Sad
As to the safety screen I have that set at 124 MPH
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with the Safety screen with TT3. It locks up or behaves erratically - lose voice or instructions are much later than required. Very disappointing since I use the safety screen as a guide to speed limit. I hope TT produce some patches for the problems.

Got the deal at PC World for the 2210(Bios 1.10). Currently use a 3950 with TT2 - no problems at all.

Graham
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham - it might be interesting if you can try the Navigator 3 software on your 3950 (which, by the way, if you have the 1.11 ROM installed on, should also have the SD driver fix installed).

After you've waited seven days you can activate your copy of Navigator 3 on the 3950 - though you will then have to wait six months to activate it on another device. The licence agreement only allows you to have one copy of Navigator 3 installed on one navigation system at once, which is going to mean a bit of installing and uninstalling, but I'd be very interested to see if the problem affects both your machines or just the 2210. So far, most but not all people reporting this are using a 2210, and there are some 2210 users who have confirmed they don't have this problem.

It'd probably be better for the purposes of the test if you can swap the memory cards between the two iPAQs rather than install the Navigator 3 maps on the memory card you use with Navigator 2 in your 3950. That, however, probably assumes that you're using SD memory in both iPAQs (or you have a CompactFlash capable expansion pack on your 3950).

For what it's worth, I've never seen a lockup in the safety screen on my 3970 (which has been upgraded to Pocket PC 2003). I don't use Bluetooth GPS either - I don't know whether that is relevant here.

For speed limit warnings, you could check out GPSAssist 2.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, as a matter of interest at what speed did you have Safety Speed set at when you noticed the problems I highlighted in my original post? I have not tried any more speeds (yet) between 29mph and 60mph to find out at what speed this error actually seems to manifest itself.
Cheers
Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I bought the 2210 bundle (a mad moment!) since I have read about the problems with TT3 on this forum. I requrlarly use the 3950 (ROM 1.11, PW2002) and TT2 and being a real beginner with PDA's etc, I had concern about the simple upgrade (I must admit that I also have the upgrade to TT3 but didn't install it on the 3950 in case I finsihed with a US system). BTW both PDA's use wired gps.

I have a 256mb SD card (integral) on the 2210 and a 128 sd (Pretec) on the 3950. With the latter I use an Arkon powered mount - I may get the new Seido- it appears a neater solution.

I'm going to give the 2210 TT3 some more trials - I've set the Safety speed to 125 - but it definitely has problem with the safety speed screen. I occassionally get other odd lock-ups or non-responses with icons on the 2210 but I really must give it a better chance.

BTW I downloaded Nialls(?) postcode programme and loaded on my 3950 - works well. Note that I loaded the 2 files without .NET! It didn't need it.

I've tried to email TT but can't get through to their support.

I'll probably have a go at doing as you suggest.

Many thanks for your interest,

Regards

Graham
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .NET Compact Framework is built into ROM on Pocket PC 2003 - but not on Pocket PC 2002. That explains why you didn't need to install it on your iPAQ 2210, as it's a Pocket PC 2003 machine.

David
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I loaded the postcode programme into my 3950 running Pocket PC 2002 without the .NET stuff. Checkpoint was already loaded; I just loaded the 2 main files - not the .NET Compact Framework (which I did download but left on my desktop computer) and it worked fine!

I noted that someone else on this forum also did the same with PC 2002 without .NET stuff and it worked - that where I got the idea.

Regards

Graham

PS Just done a 50 mile run around villages and dula carriageway with the Safety screen set to 125mph - all worked a treat. But it would be nice to get a solution to this issue.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine set at 40mph ,when mine went crazy,why dont TomTom get there act together and sort these bugs out before they sell the product to the customer.they want the money we want the goods to work in a correct manner. :x they just do not seemed bothered to me.
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely a bug in the safety screen. Had mine set at 50. Came off the motorway, it thought about re-routing, then froze. Had to soft reset. Increased it to 75 mph, and it's been fine since.

Also had problems with Niels' UK Postcode program. On 3 separate occasions I used it to "show" location. It did this briefly, but then reverted back to the current location. Went back to UK Postcode, but it lost the postcode entry. Had to re-enter. I remember having to re-enter twice with one particular postcode before it would stick.

My kit comprise
iPaq 3870 on PPC 2002
Wired GPS NMEA 4800
TT 3.01 GPS 2.07
CheckPOInt 2.02
UK postcode (Niels)
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine set at 70 originally. It seemed to work Ok when first on but when coming down from that speed the screen cleared of information, and froze. At a slower set speed it was much worse.

Are you indicating that at 75 all is well with the screen and at 60 it wasn't; is it simply speed related?

Graham
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well- it certainly does seem to be speed related. It also appears to be a general problem, not just affecting 2210's. It doesn't appear to be a bluetooth vs. wired issue nor a card problem as I for one wasn't using a dreaded Sandisk at the time. If it is a case of having to have the speed set high, in order to prevent these lock-ups and late voice instructions, then there is little point in having this user configurable option. Shame because it's an option I would quite appreciate. It would be interesting to learn from others if they are or have experienced this problem and what speed they had set at the time and what speed they had to increase it to in order for the problem to hide itself.

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried various speeds from 40 - 80, the lower the speed set in the safety screen the less warning given and more lockups.
An interesting aspect is that with the safety screen set at 70 or what ever speed you have, as you drop the speed TT is re-drawing the screen in Navigator mode but at the same time is re-drawing the screen to show more detail due to your reduction in speed, so in effect is trying to re-draw the screen twice at the same time, therefore could be running out of menory. For now I have mine set at 124, get plenty of warning and no lockups.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Grahamcol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I think your right. My screen did peculiar things which, now come to think of it, probably was trying to redraw twice at the same time.

Safety speed now set for 125 so that it doesn't kick in and all seems fine.

I can't really see that much difference beteen TT2 and 3 - other than there appears to be more problems with 3. TT3 does work out the route MUCH faster but this could be ude to the SD card.

I'll probably go back to 2 on my 3950 and get a neater powered mount the the Arkon - probably a Seido with speaker. Screen is also bigger and brighter on the 3950.

Graham
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the trick is not to leave it in the safety screen for too long.

On my set up set at 75 mph, if I tap the safety screen, it does not bring up the navigation options. It "blips" as I touch the screen but it doesn't do anything. It will do one of three things - carry on; sometimes it freezes; other times I get a fatal error.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have noticed that if set at 30 or 40 mph, strange things happen in safety screen mode - it locks up etc. The problem seems to occur if the screen is changing from safety screen mode back to normal screen whilst a junction or new direction is imminent - it appears to suffer from overload. Like others, I have set safety speed high in order that it does not come in to operation.
TT3 is turning out to be a great upgrade - cannot use safety speed, cannot use POI's - I wonder what is next that cannot be used. One thing is sure, in that when TT4 is released in the future, I will not be in such a rush to upgrade again.

My kit is :- iPAQ2210 Rom 1.10 upgrade. TT3 upgrade 3.01(409/2) - Upgrade 3.02 GPS. GPS GR 230 BT reg tweak 1.4 by 747. Transcend SD 256 MB card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: