Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Speed - strange happenings!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Speed - strange happenings!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Safety Speed - strange happenings! Reply with quote

Just been doing some "testing" with TTN3 on the road with different "Safety speeds". With a setting of 5mph the Safety Screen locked up (no voice guidance and no road name changes etc) within a minute or two and required a soft reset to clear, tried it again with same result. Increased the speed to 29mph - didn't lock up but voice instructions were either very late or given after the event! i.e. gave instruction to "take the 2nd exit" whilst I was actually on the roundabout and on another one it gave the exit information after I had actually left the roundabout and was a good 100yards onto the exit road! Then onto motorway and Safety screen working fine, gave instruction to "take next exit" and showed correct picture of slip road. Took slip road and approached large roundabout, no voice guidance now, went onto roundabout and noted Safety screen did not show roundabout diagram, still slip road diagram. When I was actually on the roundabout voice instruction to take "first exit" given, by which time I was almost on the "exit" road.
Pulled into lay-by, increased Safety Speed to 60mph and navigated to "home" - journey back (exactly same route) was without any of the above problems.
Interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems with Safety Speed settings?

Cheers

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really strange. I had my safety speed in Navigator 2 at 40mph, and in Navigator 3 at 30mph (because of the new feature where Navigator shows junction maps on the safety screen when you get near to the junction), and I've never had any problems like those you describe.

David
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

do you have traffic installed?

I'm 99% certain I've now lost the safety screen improvement. I have the safety screen set at 75 as I was experiencing lockups when the safety screen reverted to the map view.

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do indeed have Traffic installed - version 3.02T (422).

Unless I'm mistaken, you went from 3.01, to 3.02T (421) to 3.02T (422). Maybe something happened to your settings files along the way. I went directly from 3.01 to 3.02T (422) - I was one who activated during the abortive launch with 3.02T (421), but I downgraded to 3.01 and restored my 3.01 settings files from an old backup.

I believe the option that controls the new Navigator 3 'schematic map' behaviour (the improvement that you're referring to) is "Show schematic arrows" in the top section of the Advanced properties. Check that's selected - if it is, consider deleting your settings files and building new ones.

The option immediately above this one it is the other new Navigator 3 setting for the Navigator screen, which I've turned off because I think it's daft ("Show summary after planning" - why on earth would I want a route summary that sits over my Navigator screen and only goes away when I tap the screen when I've planned a new route in the Navigator screen?).

I definitely had schematic arrows showing this evening with Traffic active.

David
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I do indeed have Traffic installed - version 3.02T (422).

The option immediately above this one it is the other new Navigator 3 setting for the Navigator screen, which I've turned off because I think it's daft ("Show summary after planning" - why on earth would I want a route summary that sits over my Navigator screen and only goes away when I tap the screen when I've planned a new route in the Navigator screen?).

David,

Whilst I don't have Traffic installed as that is already built into the Radio, but I do have the "Show summary after planning enabled. This only shows on screen for a few seconds before disappearing and leaving me in the Navigator screen, I have never had to tap the screen to remove it. Maybe this is another quirk introduced by the Traffic installation?
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was behaving that way on my setup before I had Traffic installed. Maybe I never waited long enough to see it disappear by itself. That said, I just don't see the point of the summary in Navigator mode, bearing in mind that the ETA and so on are at the bottom of the screen (unless you're in the Traffic mode where the 'line' is shown at the left of the screen, which I have the toggle for on a hardware button).

At least it's configurable!

David
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the safety screen setup today,set it to 40mph and it worked ok for a while and it seemed to give me directions (voice) too late that is when ivedone the manouvre,then it froze ,i didnt use this on TT2 so i will not bother on TT3 ,got it set at 100mph there must be a reasonfor it not to work correctly must be another bug in TT3 Sad

trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
Glad to note that it's happened to someone else as well - was beginning to wonder if it was just me!! 8O

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks more like it could be another 2210 issue to me - I'm not using a 2210 (I'm using a Pocket PC 2003 iPAQ 3970), and you both are.

Navigator 3 certainly seems to be finding one or more issues with the 2210.

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem using the Safety Screen on my 2210 Confused
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget whether this is the case - but are your maps on CompactFlash, Darren? It seems that maps on SD is more likely to give the Bluetooth GPS problem, so maybe maps on SD card is required to give this problem on a 2210.

David
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen exactly the same problems (late warnings, erratic screen behaviour, etc) on my 3970.

Traffic not installed and 60mph safety speed (untouched since installation).

I'm still using a Sandisk SD card which might be a factor, but I've been jumping backwards and forwards between TT2 and TT3 (using ipaq Backup) and TT2 functions flawlessly using the same card.

I guess it's just another TT3 'feature'.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I forget whether this is the case - but are your maps on CompactFlash, Darren? It seems that maps on SD is more likely to give the Bluetooth GPS problem, so maybe maps on SD card is required to give this problem on a 2210.
David

I do have my TT Maps on CF, those users experiencing BT Issues amongst others almost always have maps on SD.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Your problem is almost certainly your Sandisk SD card. All Sandisk SD cards appear to be faulty, though as Navigator 3 seems to work the memory card harder than Navigator 2, it's not surprising that there's problems with Navigator 3.

An added issue on the 3900 series is that the SD drivers in the x.1x ROMs are broken - HP have released a fix for this. The one for the 3970 2.10 ROM is here and is highly recommended.

My 3970 doesn't display the behaviour you mention - though I'm not using a Sandisk SD card.

Darren and Scott,

It seems that Navigator 3 seems to work the memory card harder than Navigator 2 does. Quite why is something that I guess only TomTom will know - but I believe they've changed map compression algorithms for Navigator 3.

All the faults reported here - safety screen lockups, 2210 / Bluetooth GPS problems, and late information on any hardware seem to be related to processor and/or memory card load. The Bluetooth connection dropping issue on the 2210 is quite possibly due to insufficient processor resources being available to sustain the Bluetooth connection.

CompactFlash memory tends to be faster and impose less processor load than SD memory does, which can make the difference between a broken and working system. Meanwhile, Sandisk SD cards don't work properly under high load conditions, which could explain Scott's problem, especially if he's using the broken SD card drivers in the 2.10 ROM on his 3970.

David
AndyWilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I did when I got TT3 BT a week ago was set the safety screen to 30mph - cos I was used to the safety screen on my old Compaq iNS.

First few trips out I had constant lockups - usually preceeded by the whole thing slowing down - so I was blaming my comparatively elderly iPaq 3870 with a 256Mb Toshiba SD card. I noticed a a couple of lockups occured just as TT was coming out of the safety screen - so I put the speed up to 150mph and it's been fine since.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: