Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Done it. Got the new 2.2G Full Europe Map and not the Zones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Done it. Got the new 2.2G Full Europe Map and not the Zones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coventrywolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Done it. Got the new 2.2G Full Europe Map and not the Zones Reply with quote

I have been reading comments on the new Zone maps for Europe as I too was annoyed at not being able to download the single file. My solution is as folows:

Get a 4GB or larger SD Card. Copy the entire contents of a backup of the TomTom device with the old version of the 2GB Western and Central Europe on.
Remove the SD Card from the PC, then re-insert it to initialise it (use a card reader). TomTom Home should now start.
At the update screen, update the Map.
After this point, I copied the new map folder and also the folder called "MAPS" onto a fresh SD Card. I put my POI files, Camera files and my mapsettings.cfg file into the map folder.
After removing it from the PC, insert it into your TomTom. You should now be able to change maps for the Full Europe map.
I have updated the mapshare on the full map.
When the time comes to update to a new map, this process will probably need to be followed again.
O2 HTC HD2 with TTN7
BobBob Go 730
dcgh2007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need to remove the card from the tom tom to do it i got an emaill from tomtom and it works perfect.

OK here is the instructions I got and they work. Before you can update the map you need to remove it from the internal drive and put it on the SD card. Note that no map should be on the Tom Tom -

If you are installing one of the large European maps then a zoned map will be offered in HOME. If you have enough space on your internal memory the full map will also be shown as an option.

In order to install this full map HOME will calculate the space that you have and suggest to remove additional items*.

*Please note that if HOME suggests removing a map we strongly recommend that you make a backup.

To install the full map on a new SD card, your current map must be on that SD card. In order to transfer your current map to the SD card:

- Click Manage my device in TomTom HOME and select the Items on device tab.
- Expand Maps and then select the map you want to transfer.
- Click Remove item from device.
- Click OK to delete the map.
- Click Continue to save a copy of the map on your computer. HOME saves a copy of the map on your computer and then deletes the map from your device.
- From the Device drop-down menu, click Change device.
- A screen with the available memory locations opens.
- Select the memory card.
- To copy the map to the memory card click Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. - Items on my computer.
- Select the Map and click Add.
- Once the map has copied to the SD card, click Update my Go.
- Tick the box next to the map and then click Update and install. Click Done.

Your new map is now installed on your new SD card.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already downloaded the full map using the same method as Coventrywolf. Now I have the European POIs on it for when I'm in Europe and the Western Zone is on the device with the UK POIs for when I'm in the UK.

I also have two Mapsettings.cfg files so all my settings for both maps work.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the above methods & this is what I got. Evil or Very Mad

ERROR: Internal/AssertFail: Code bug: We're sorry but an error has occurred during the use of HOME on your computer. Please contact Customer Support.
item using Durham encryption scheme expected
Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. function assert chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:473
throw new Bug(errorStr, "Internal/AssertFail" + (id ? "/" + id : ""));
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:754
assert(this._drm && this._drmScheme == "durham", "item using Durham encryption scheme expected")
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/installSelectSome/installSelectSome.js:675
let copiedItem = localItem.createCopyWithDurhamCertificate(certificateFile);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:424
this.finalizeDownload());
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:396
this._finishedSuccessfully();

Time: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:34:48 GMT

Anyone understand what this ( Censored DennisN - Am I going to have to start checking all your posts? There's no need for that on this family forum) means? Other than it's broken! Rolling Eyes
Coventrywolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems very hit and miss at the moment.

I had tried the method used by dcgh2007 before. HOME recognised the old Europe map on the SD Card, but would still only offer Zones. I downloaded the North Zone and it installed it on my device AND on the SD Card.
O2 HTC HD2 with TTN7
BobBob Go 730
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the solution that I got in an Email from TT this morning.

Dear Mr *****

The size of our maps continually increases as we add more details such as new roads and other features.

In the recent past, due to size restraints, we have been forced to be selective about the amount of rich data such as lakes, forests and other landmarks we could include in order to provide a map which would fit on your device. To solve this, TomTom HOME has divided the map into 3 or 4 more manageable sections, called map zones. A map zone contains the same level of detail as a complete map, however is smaller in size and so will easily fit on your TomTom device.

Compared to our previous maps, these map zones contain richer, enhanced map data. We have made these changes in order to improve your navigation experience and the installation process. We hope this will make your navigation experience a more straightforward and pleasant one. Should your device have extendable memory you should also be able to install the full map. Please note you can change the installed Zone on your TomTom device at any point.

To install the complete map you will need to purchase a 4GB SD card. Please follow the steps below to install the complete Western and Central map on your 4GB SD card:

- Locate a backup of your map (e.g. My Computer - TomTom - Home - Backup - Go - Internal - Western and Central Europe)
- Right click and copy this map folder
- Open My Computer and double click on SD card drive (removable storage device)
- Paste the backup map in here
- Open TomTom Home and login to your account
- Click on 'Update my Go'
- Select the map of Western and Central Europe and click on Update and Install.

Because the map is on the SD card and not on the internal memory of the device Home will know to update the map on your SD card and as you now have enough memory to update the entire map it will not be offered in zones.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions or require assistance installing your Map Zones.

This is more or less what I did last night, I found two zip files one a map & a zip file named activation, so I unzipped the map file into a Europe_2GB folder & then copied the zip activation file into the Europe_2GB folder as well, unzipped it there (not into a separate folder) & copied it to the MiSD card and it seems to work. Shocked

However, I'm still going to sell it. I've had enough of TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: