Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO finally died so looking for a replacement.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO finally died so looking for a replacement.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: GO finally died so looking for a replacement. Reply with quote

My TomTom Go has finally died today whilst on a trip to an unfamiliar city (sods law). I have had the GO for 8 years and replaced the battery once in that time. It just suddenly lost all satellite lock which it has done previously but only intermittently. However, today was different, it started to lose lock, no satellites at all then it would get them back for a few seconds then kept recalculating then finally gave up altogether.

Anyway I haven't done bad out of it I suppose. I no longer use my car for business so I only plan to get a mid range replacement as it will just used for leisure. I was thinking of getting an XL Europe with IQ routes. Not sure I need" Live" though would be interested to hear others views. What are the TomTom camera alerts like, i.e. any good as I've always used this site for my cameras. However, I believe the XL has only got an internal memory now so space is an issue and not sure how to use any non TomTom alerts with the internal memory issue?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL IQ is a great device although I wouldn't bother with the TT Safety Cameras unless you want to anticipate failure, you can still use the database from this site even on the XL IQ with its limited memory as the files are small in actual disk storage space, this combination offers the best solution.

A word of warning though DO NOT purchase the XL IQ_2 (it has a tiny number two in the part number) this device is nothing like the original XL IQ and is best avoided - Shop carefully - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
XL IQ is a great device although I wouldn't bother with the TT Safety Cameras unless you want to anticipate failure, you can still use the database from this site even on the XL IQ with its limited memory as the files are small in actual disk storage space, this combination offers the best solution.

A word of warning though DO NOT purchase the XL IQ_2 (it has a tiny number two in the part number) this device is nothing like the original XL IQ and is best avoided - Shop carefully - Mike

Thanks for the heads up on that one Mike. I take it the original is still available at most good outlets? Is the one with the 2 in the part number a later version then and if so what is the story with that one? P.S. Is the part number on the outside of the box somewhere?
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Just seen this advertised on a well know High Street outlet - is this what you mean I should avoid or is it specifically the 2 in the part number that I need to look for?

Quote:
TomTom XL IQ Routes 2 Edition GPS Navigation System, UK & Republic of Ireland Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got a 2 in the device name so avoid it - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a bit of sleuthing on version 2. Is the issue anything to do with the simplified menus and Navcore?

From what I have read the menu is the same or similar to the "Start". Am I right in thinking that if so then the PocketWorld speed camera alerts will not work with this unit?

Having shopped around online all the stores appear to be only selling version 2 now which severely limits my options.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, the application on all EasyMenu models (including the Start and all version 2 of models) will not allow for 3rd party warnings........
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here for some reasonably up-to-date prices and stockists.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Currently, the application on all EasyMenu models (including the Start and all version 2 of models) will not allow for 3rd party warnings........

Well that's a real bummer as most outlets I have trawled so far have no old stock. So the option then is to go for a more expensive model which I don't need, use the TomTom alerts which cost £20 a year and from all accounts don't work or move to a different manufacturer. Thanks TomTom.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! managed to secure the original version on Amazon, (thanks for the link) should be here next couple of days so will install PW camera alerts then. OK so I won't have TTS but who needs Jane banging on in my ear all through the journey. It has IQ routes and lane guidance so that should be enough. TomTom thwarted again in their attempts to take control away from the customer. Very Happy
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new TomTom XL IQ (not the new version 2) should arrive tomorrow. It would appear from the blurb that this unit besides having the 42 countries of Europe also has the TomTom safety camera alerts too. I shall be using the speed zoned PGPSW camera alerts with voices. I know where to copy the files to but was wondering if I need to do anything with the TomTom safety camera alerts i.e. will they cause a conflict with the ones I'm going to install? I shall make a backup before starting anything.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it will hurt having both on there just taking up space.
i recall the tom tom cameras are fixed to i think 300 metres and cant be changed unlike the gps world cameras which can be set to whatever distance you want.
you will just get both sets warning you.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can adjust the warning distance for the TT cameras - at least you can on my 530 - actually it is not distance it is time. I've experimented with this and find too much is almost as bad as too little. Now using 15 seconds.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
i dont think it will hurt having both on there just taking up space.
i recall the tom tom cameras are fixed to i think 300 metres and cant be changed unlike the gps world cameras which can be set to whatever distance you want.
you will just get both sets warning you.

What I would prefer to do is delete or disable them - can this be done and if so how?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of the FAQ Page, you need either #12 or #13 from memory, FAQ Page can be found by clicking Here - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: