Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic hogging BT connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic hogging BT connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regrak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Traffic hogging BT connection Reply with quote

Having just installed TT Traffic, I've gotta admit I'm impressed. The limitation of my phone (an SE Z600) only being able to handle one BT connection is very annoying though.

I am sure I am not the only one to have a BT headset and want to use it with TT Traffic? Has anyone found a way of auto-disconnecting the internet connection (and therefore the BT connection between the PDA and phone) once Traffic has downloaded updates? To my mind this should not be rocket science. All we need is for Traffic (or a seperate programme) to disconnect the connection when it is idle. The connection would automatically be re-established when needed by the PPC anyway.

Does anyone know of a programme that will disconnect an idle connection?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha funny. Some of the iPAQs are doing exactly that. And guess what - it is considered to be a bug, not a feature. So there will be new ROMs to correct that...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just disable the "update every X minutes" function and manually update.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Traffic hogging BT connection Reply with quote

regrak wrote:
Having just installed TT Traffic, I've gotta admit I'm impressed. The limitation of my phone (an SE Z600) only being able to handle one BT connection is very annoying though.

I am sure I am not the only one to have a BT headset and want to use it with TT Traffic? Has anyone found a way of auto-disconnecting the internet connection (and therefore the BT connection between the PDA and phone) once Traffic has downloaded updates?

So far as I can see, even if you alter the Pocket PC's behaviour in the way you describe, it won't help.

If you change the Pocket PC software to make a GPRS connection, download the traffic data and drop the GPRS link, how does that help you? You'll still need to connect your Bluetooth headset manually to the phone after the Pocket PC has stopped using your phone, unless you have a headset that keeps retrying for ever when it can't connect to the phone (my Nokia HDW-2 would give up after a while, and require button pushes to reconnect).

Unless your phone will disconnect a Bluetooth audio device when a device tries to make a dial-up profile connection (my Nokia 6310i doesn't), there's no way for the Pocket PC to reconnect to the phone until you disconnect your headset manually.

The only answers are:
  • find a phone that supports two simultaneous Bluetooth connections (you want one dial-up profile and one headset or handsfree profile). Are there any phones that do this?
  • use a separate GPRS hardware for TomTom Traffic
  • use a hands free setup that doesn't use Bluetooth

My solution is the last of these - my Nokia 6310i is in a wired car kit. This means that my phone is charged in car, also it's connected to an external antenna. The Bluetooth is available for my iPAQ or a laptop to use in car.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: