Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to clear the log.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to clear the log.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Unable to clear the log. Reply with quote

I seem to be unable to consistently clear the old routes from my Satmap Active 10. I use software 1.45.
At the start of a walk I select Menu from the Trip Log screen. Then I select Trip Log Menu and Reset All. I select yes to Reset Trip Log Data. I find that the distance , height etc are all reset. Then I select Start.

At the end of the walk I select Stop from the Trip Log screen. This shows me how far I have travelled and the speed and height. I then switch off the device.

When I get home and load the data into the computer I find that I have several walks stored. The only way to separate them out for loading into Google earth is process the file in a word processor to separate out the walks. Too often the segments also include the trip back home in the car.

How can I delete old walks before I start a new one and make sure I only record the walk.

Apart from this I am impressed with the performance of the SatMap, especially the customised map service that gives me 1:25 000 OS of the area of Northumberland that I regularly walk. Yesterday's walk was outside that area and I noticed the difference with the 1 :50 000 map

Thanks
David
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of your walk, you select 'Reset All & Convert', (well, that's the option that I use.) and then go to your routes menu and look for todays date...if you did walk today. In other words , I don't thnik STOP is sufficient as, then what ?
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

I'm sorry but I don't understand some of what you have said.

Can you explain a bit more on this bit, how are you loading the data into the computer? What do you in a word processor to seperate them out?

Quote:
When I get home and load the data into the computer I find that I have several walks stored. The only way to separate them out for loading into Google earth is process the file in a word processor to separate out the walks.

Everything that you are doing sounds correct.

However you do not state in your post if you take the step of "Reset All & Convert" or "Reset Trail & Convert" after pressing stop and before exporting.

If you are not taking this step then I don't understand what you mean when you say

Quote:
When I get home and load the data into the computer I find that I have several walks stored.

If you do one of the "convert" options after pressing stop - you will avoid the issue of the trip home segment.

You should then see in satsync a list of the routes that you have "converted" stored on the right hand side of satsync which is the SD Card.

you will see two files for each trail converted with the date time and distance as the file name one ends ".MAP" the " raw.gpx" the raw file is larger and contains more detail, the ".Map" is smaller and contains less data. I generally export the ".map" file as a gpx file and then it can be loaded straight into google earth.

By doing this conversion at the end of the walk you will be able to identify the route to export by the date and time.

These routes will stay in your A10 until you either delete them through Satysnc or using the delete option in the A10.

You say you press stop then drive home, some times your route home is recorded. There are two possible causes for this. 1) you didn't actually press stop or your key press didn't register. Sometimes the A10 is confusing. If the trip log says "Stop" in means it has actually started!!! and if if it says "Start" it means it is currently stopped!!

If the stop button wasn't pressed as soon as you turn it on at home and it gets fix on a satellite it will continue to record the trip data and draws a straight line from where you switch if off.

Or if you did press stop but then press start again before converting the trail or resetting then it will draw the same straight line.

So in summary.

1) Do what you are doing now at the start of the walk.
2) Convert the trail to track before driving home
3) Export your route which you can identify from the date
4) Delete your routes in the A10 if necessary to avoid confusion.

Hope this helps?
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Unable to delete walks Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You raised some points.
Can you explain a bit more on this bit, how are you loading the data into the computer? What do you in a word processor to seperate them out?

Quote:
When I get home and load the data into the computer I find that I have several walks stored. The only way to separate them out for loading into Google earth is process the file in a word processor to separate out the walks.

When I get home from a walk I use SatSyncLite 0.5.2(2) to transfer the .gpx file from the Satmap onto my iMac. I the open the file in my Nisus word processor. I can then see that various walks for the past month in separate sections. I highlight the old walks and delete them leaving only the recent one that I want. I re-save the file and drop it into Google Earth.

However you do not state in your post if you take the step of "Reset All & Convert" or "Reset Trail & Convert" after pressing stop and before exporting.

At the start of each walk I select the Trip Log Menu on the Satmap and choose the first menu option, Reset All.

I see I should do more at the end of the walk to stop the trip home being included.

Quote:
When I get home and load the data into the computer I find that I have several walks stored.

If you do one of the "convert" options after pressing stop - you will avoid the issue of the trip home segment.

Therefore at the end of the walk I should Reset All and Convert.

This still leaves me with the problem of deleting the old walk before starting the new one.

SatSyncLite only shows one file that can be transferred All_Raw_Tracks.gpx . This is the one I have to transfer and manipulate.

You said
So in summary.

1) Do what you are doing now at the start of the walk.
2) Convert the trail to track before driving home
3) Export your route which you can identify from the date
4) Delete your routes in the A10 if necessary to avoid confusion.

I was not doing step 2. If I do that then I may be able to to complete 3.
Step 4 is the stage I can’t do, I can find no way of deleting old routes.

I will test it again tomorrow.

David
[/i]
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on when you retest.

When you do the convert I'm sure your problems will be solved. Although I am surprised to here that the raw file contains the last months trails as that should be reset when you to the reset all. However I am a PC user and unfamiliar with satsync lite for the mac but I would have thought it would behave basically the same.

Good luck.
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: SatSyncLite Reply with quote

SatSyncLite has one function, it allows you to drag the All-Raw-Tracks.gpx file from the window showing the files on the Active10 onto the Mac desktop. It may allow you to import routes but I haven't tried this yet. The PC version has many more features.

David
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Still can't master it. Reply with quote

I can still not master the storage and retrieval of routes.

At the start of a walk everything is OK.
At the end of the walk I can access the data about the walk, distance, height etc.

The problem occurs at the Trip Log Menu stage.

I want to be able to send the .gpx file of a walk to others who were on the walk. Section 4.04 on page 14 of the manual is useless. Which option do I select to store that days walk as a .gpx file and have everything back to zero for the next day?

Does the manual actually include a description of the items on the Trip Log Menu page or what to do at the end of a walk?

David
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

I agree that page 14 of the manual is useless for this as I don't think it is relevant.

Instead try page 13 section 4.03.

Having completed your walk press the lower right hand key until the Trip Log page is shown. Then press the lower left side button which should change the "stop" to "start" and the little green triangle at the top right of the screen to a two red bars. This stops the recording of your route.

Then press the right hand lower side button (menu) which takes you to the list of options given on page 13. You now have a couple of options but I will tell you what I do. First select "convert trail to track". You will be asked if you wish to reset all the trail data - you decide - but at this stage I normally say "no". This will have recorded a .map file on the A10 with a name made up of the day's date and the length of the walk. If you then use Satsync to export this to your PC you should get the .gpx file you wanted.

Before the next walk I go back to this page and select "reset all" before selecting "start" on the Trip Log page to begin the procedure all over again.

Probably not too intuitive but it works for me.

Hope that helps.
Satsync 1.525
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Still failing Reply with quote

I can still not start a new walk with an empty .gpx file stored on the Active 10.
At the end of a walk:-
I select Stop from the Trip Log page.
I record the statistics for distribution to the other walkers.
Using SatSync on my iMac I download the .gpx file.
Then I drop the .gpx file onto Google Earth to get a picture of the route.

Now the problem occurs no matter which option I select from the Trip Menu Log page I can't delete the .gpx file from the Active 10 in readiness for the next walk. I have to resort to editing the old old from the .gpx file on the computer using a word processor, saving the edited section of the file and dropping that into Google Earth.

David
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, not being a mac user I'm not best placed to answer this.

I'm assuming that when you say
Quote:
no matter which option I select from the Trip Menu Log page I can't delete the .gpx file from the Active 10

You have tried selecting the "Reset All" option in the Active 10?

I am also assuming that you are referring to the the All_Raw__tracks.gpx file.

In an earlier post you said
Quote:
SatSyncLite has one function, it allows you to drag the All-Raw-Tracks.gpx file from the window showing the files on the Active10 onto the Mac desktop.

Assuming you are doing the reset all and that isn't working and based on the fact that you say that you can only ever see the All_Raw_tracks.gpx. I am wondering if therefore Satsynlite for the mac has to treat the All_raw-tracks.gpx file in a different way.

I say this because when you record and convert a route it is saved to your SD Card. The All_raw-tracks.gpx file is saved to your Internal Memory.

PC users are able to access both the All_raw-tracks.gpx file and two other files relating to the walk one is an individual Raw file for the route the other is a .map version.

If you only have access to the All_raw-tracks.gpx file then you will not be able to get at the individual files on the SD card through satsynclite, therefore in theory you Active10 has loads of routes on the SD cards. So I'm wondering if Satsynclite pulls all these together into a version of the All_raw-tracks.gpx file so that you can get at them but they are always on the SD card, so you keep getting the same problem.

Have you tried taking the SD card out of the Active10 and viewing it on the MAC. If I'm right you should be able to see all the route files on the SD card, save them somewhere on the mac and delete them from the SD card.

DO NOT DELETE THE MAPPING FILE !!!!!

Then put the SD Card back in the Active 10 and see what happens.

Sorry, this is all theory not fact but it's the only thing that i can think off.

Paul
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Still having problems Reply with quote

It is the All_Raw_tracks.gpx file stored in the internal memory on the Active 10 that I need to delete at the end of a walk prior to starting the next one. Reset All from the Trip Log Menu page seems to have no effect on the All_Raw_tracks.gpx file.

Viewing the SD card directly on the iMac does not allow me to anything that would delete the internally stored All_Raw_tracks.gpx file.

Unless the PC version of SatSync allows access to the internal memory I don't think it is an Imac associated problem.

David
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC users have access to the internal memory and sd card via sat sync.

Regardless of mac or pc the reset function on the active 10 deletes the All-Raw_tracks.gpx.

What version of the software are you on. Because you say that there is nothing on the SD card but in the latest versions of the active10 firmware routes are saved to the SD card and not to the SD card.

if you are not on the lastest suggest you update to it, if you are on the latest or regardless of that check you SD there is a little slide protection tab on the right hand side if this is slid downwards it will be protecting the SD card and therefore perhaps your routes are being saved to the internal memory, slide the protection up and see if your routes are saved to the sd card.

Paul
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed what you said

Quote:
Viewing the SD card directly on the iMac does not allow me to anything that would delete the internally stored All_Raw_tracks.gpx file.

I'd don't want you to delete the internal raw file, I want to see if the individual route files are being saved on the sd card.

My theory was that if they are removed from the SD card they won't get picked up in the All_Raw_tracks.gpx file

Paul
DavidSteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked
What version of the software are you on. Because you say that there is nothing on the SD card but in the latest versions of the active10 firmware routes are saved to the SD card and not to the SD card.

I am using Version 1.45

if you are not on the lastest suggest you update to it, if you are on the latest or regardless of that check you SD there is a little slide protection tab on the right hand side if this is slid downwards it will be protecting the SD card and therefore perhaps your routes are being saved to the internal memory, slide the protection up and see if your routes are saved to the sd card.

The Sd card was locked, as it was supplied with the custom mapping service. I will unlock it and try again.

Thanks for taking to time to try and solve my problem.

David
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth making a copy of the custom mapping file in case of accidental deletion.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: