Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for Ipod touch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for Ipod touch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: GPS for Ipod touch Reply with quote

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place but not sure were to ask this question. I have down loaded the MM app for the Ipod touch I also have a bluetooth GPS reciever and the Ipod has bluetooth but it will not find it can anyone help to connect the two together via blue tooth as the only other alterative will be for me to but the new case which is comong out and I would rather not spend that amount of money if this can be done. Thanking you for you help in this matter.

Nick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its Jail Broken there is an app you can add to the device that will let a BT GPS connect to it, as standard the iPod simply won't work as the required serial port profile isn't available (Blame Apple) - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if it is not JailBroken then you need an approved GPS cradle/jacket. Magellan/TomTom and Dual all offer them at a cost.
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hi thanks for all your help pity the ipod touch bluetooth does not work will have to a cradle as I dont want to jailbreak it would re=arther be legal. I like the look of the Magellan hard case does anyone know when it will be avalible in the uk.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

nick789uk wrote:
Hi thanks for all your help pity the ipod touch bluetooth does not work will have to a cradle as I dont want to jailbreak it would re=arther be legal. I like the look of the Magellan hard case does anyone know when it will be avalible in the uk.

Just to clarify, Jailbreaking an iPhone is not illegal, indeed the US have just clarified what was until now a grey area and specifically allowed it.

However, the Magellan case is a neat solution, I'll see if we can establish if/when that will be available in the UK.
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Cameralert for iPod Touch Reply with quote

I purchased and downloaded Cameralert for my iPod Touch as there was a note stating :
Quote:
"Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad."

Whilst the software does appear to be "compatible" with my iPod touch,
it would have been nice to know in advance that it will NOT work on the road as :
Quote:
."..a self-contained Speed and Red Light Camera warning system using data from the renowned PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database."

It is not "self contained" for the iPod Touch, as the software needs an active data connection to determine current position and download maps.

Current location cannot be obtained when driving using the "Location services" as this needs a wi-fi connection, so additional equipment is needed such as a TomTom or Magellan etc GPS jacket.

Perhaps a note should be included with the advertisement that this is not a self contained application for the iPod Touch as additional equipment is needed ?

Anyway - love the App - just need to sort out my mobile phone contract, get rid of the Blackberry, and get an iPhone !

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cameralert for iPod Touch Reply with quote

coconut wrote:
It is not "self contained" for the iPod Touch, as the software needs an active data connection to determine current position and download maps.

So long as you download the database before you set-off, you can configure it in List View so it does not require a data connection.
Quote:
Current location cannot be obtained when driving using the "Location services" as this needs a wi-fi connection, so additional equipment is needed such as a TomTom or Magellan etc GPS jacket.

Location requires a GPS receiver yes, that would not give you a data connection for maps though, just GPS position.
Quote:
Perhaps a note should be included with the advertisement that this is not a self contained application for the iPod Touch as additional equipment is needed ?

I will add that as a note.
nick789uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have down loaded the Navfree UK & ROI from Itunes its a free app and works well using open space maps I use a blue tooth GPS with the Ipod touch which seems to work well hope this helps.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick789uk wrote:
Hi I have down loaded the Navfree UK & ROI from Itunes its a free app and works well using open space maps I use a blue tooth GPS with the Ipod touch which seems to work well hope this helps.

Presumably you have a JailBroken iPod?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son has an iPod Touch which he doesn't use much these days so I may just "borrow" it if I can use it for PgpsW duties. I am a self-confessed Apple numb-nutt so I am a little bit confused here, please humour me.

I don't understand what the iPod Touch has to be jailbroken from. As far as I am aware, it has no connections to a mobile phone service, so who do you have to jailbreak it from? is it difficult? and is it possible to return it to it's original state just in case my son discovers that his dad has got an identical iTouch to the one he can no longer find?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I don't understand what the iPod Touch has to be jailbroken from. As far as I am aware, it has no connections to a mobile phone service, so who do you have to jailbreak it from? is it difficult? and is it possible to return it to it's original state just in case my son discovers that his dad has got an identical iTouch to the one he can no longer find?

The act of JailBreaking allows you to install unapproved apps.

The iPod Touch does not support BT GPS units, so it needs to be JailBroken so an app that permits their use can be installed.

Otherwise, you need an approved solution such as TomTom's GPS Cradle.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Darren, As it not illegal, I may just start dabbling in the Dark Side.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
kevjey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you jailbreak your device and then install RoqyBT (only costs a small amount) you will then be able to connect your device to a BT GPS unit, both CamerAlert and TomTom worked fine, the RoqyBT website details which software is the best to use.

I used mine with a TomTom BT Gps unit and it worked great, I then got a Ipod Touch TomTom Gps mount off ebay and thats great.

If you need any help Jailbreaking let me know and can point you in the right direction.

Kev....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
I don't understand what the iPod Touch has to be jailbroken from. As far as I am aware, it has no connections to a mobile phone service, so who do you have to jailbreak it from?

jailbreaking != unlocking

unlocking is the act of making the phone accept other network's sim cards. apple allow this and most carriers will have a method in place to carry it out once your contract is fulfilled. there are also more dubious methods to allow you to unlock before your contract is over though.

jailbreaking allows you access to the full file structure and, as such, make more serious edits to your phone such as installing unapproved apps, changing other settings that apple don't allow you to get to etc.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
jailbreaking allows you access to the full file structure and, as such, make more serious edits to your phone such as installing unapproved apps, changing other settings that apple don't allow you to get to etc.

One other big plus point is doing this lets you add custom POI files to the iPhone including custom spoken alerts depending upon which software you have installed (Sygic in this case) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: