Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 referb niggles so far
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 referb niggles so far

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: 930 referb niggles so far Reply with quote

not a bad little unit but found a few niggles so far that i thought id ask about.

the battery indicator never goes above 3/4 even if its left on the usb dock for hours. it also drains down quite quick once its taken off the dock.
for most long journeys i will be using the ciggy lighter so wont be a problem but would it be worth getting a mains charger instead of using the trickle charge via the computer.

so far 2 POI try to load but then come back as no route found.
ive tried address, postcode and POI and all give me the same outcome.
the strangest one is thorpe park. it has a dedicated POI in theme parks and opens with the info screen with phone number but after about 20-30 seconds a blank no route found screen appears. (pics below)
im about to load the dedicated theme park POI from here so will see how that goes. ive also updated to the latest postcodes but with no joy there.

im using home so i can screen grab the pictures but it also does exactly the same thing when i have a satalite signal.
any ideas Smile
thanks

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 930 referb niggles so far Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:

the strangest one is thorpe park. it has a dedicated POI in theme parks and opens with the info screen with phone number but after about 20-30 seconds a blank no route found screen appears. (pics below)

No wonder really... Their POI is positioned on one of the footpaths inside! (after you're gone through the ticket gates and under the dome thing Rolling Eyes )

MrDJ wrote:
im about to load the dedicated theme park POI from here so will see how that goes.

As you may have found already, the PGPSW version puts it's marker just as you turn off the Stains road into the car park.
Much more sensible!

MrDJ wrote:
im using home so i can screen grab the pictures

Do you know about the screen grab feature on the Go itself?
All you need to do is make a folder called "screen" on the TomTom.
Inside that, create an empty text file and call it "capture" (make sure it is REALLY called just "capture" and not "capture.txt" - you'll need to have "show file extensions for known file types" ticked in Explorer's tools/Folder options/View tab)

Then if you tap the very top left corner of the screen you should hear a camera shutter noise and a bitmap image of the screen will be saved in the "screen" folder.
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guru of knowledge does it again.
cheers Andy
spot on with thorpe park. strange how my 910 takes you there even though as you say the poi is almost in the lake,Laughing Out Loud.

thanks also for the screen grab. i had no idea it could do that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the question about the battery charge indicator, you could plug it in to the National Grid for a month and it still wouldn't indicate 100% - this is a "feature" of the software (some might consider it a bug), a battery not showing 100% is quite normal.

If you find it only survives on battery for 30 minutes than its time to consider a battery change, not an easy DIY proposition but its certainly not impossible - Mike
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that info Mike.
the 930 is a referb only a week old so i thought it could be one of the problems it was sold as a cheapy.

ill test it to see how long it lasts.
cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery will degrade with age but it should be OK on a refurb device for at least 18 months to 2 years even when used daily - A good battery will keep the device powered for around 2 to 2,5 hours from a full charge - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDJ wrote:
thanks for that info Mike.
the 930 is a referb only a week old so i thought it could be one of the problems it was sold as a cheapy.

ill test it to see how long it lasts.
cheers

Just for info - one of TT's "Issues/Challenges" was the voice being crackly as the battery lost power. So to correct it they changed the OS to show a battery running down much faster and then shut the unit down before the voice could become crackly. Rolling Eyes No, you couldn't make it up - because TT did!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries in these devices are rubbish, my 730's bat went within a year & when I tried to replace it I messed up with my big hands so it's in the bin. I have never had a satnav that had such bad batteries fitted I still have my original 168 mio PDA from years ago (My first sat nav) & that still holds up for 4 hours until it needs a charge so TT are using second rate batteries.

Would have thought they would have got it right by now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: