Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So which Garmin?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So which Garmin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: So which Garmin? Reply with quote

So can someone recommend a Garmin unit that has a very similar specification to the bug ridden 3790T, that WILL accept the camera warnings without any hassle? Or am I going to be doomed to have a TomTom which won't do 3rd party POIs? Sad
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wazza_G

Personally, for user friendly flexiblity and adjustability, I think the old StreetPilot 2720 was one of the best units Garmin produced; but it started getting slower as the maps got bigger.
I now have the 1690, which accepts camera warnings without any problems - and can also import routes and waypoints from Mapsource (though only 10 routes can be loaded). So far, I have had not noticed any 'buggy' behaviour.
Only a bit irritating as still waiting for Garmin to release its EcoRoute HD dongle which will lookup information directly from the vehicle's system, which was promised by 2nd Qtr of this year. Its other gimmics like Google Local Search, Airport Information, etc, is interesting, but not essential.
Regards
CDK
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza

I have had the 760, 765, 1690 and 3790 and the latter is by far the best unit of the lot. The 765 used to reboot many time when it was first released and the 1690 was beset by problems on initial release too (view the 1690 changelog to confirm this).

In fairness to Garmin they pretty much fixed the 1690 after the third software update and I am sure they will correct the 3790 issues which are many times less numerous than the 1690.

The 1690 is now IMHO a great unit, but what puts me off is the annual subscription for the Connected services. The 3790T receives traffic quicker than any of the previous Garmin units I have owned.

If you want the connected services of a "Smartphone" than the 1690 would be the best overall unit but if you want a GPS than the 3790T is the better unit. I know that Garmin tech have a beta release in the wings awaiting release in the next few weeks.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bav,

is that a beta release of the 3790 firmware? If so, any idea whats in it? [and how do you know this?]

cheers

Alan
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 3790 has been returned as not fit for purpose.

I'm looking forward to getting my refund in the next 48hrs.

I'm torn between the 1690 & dare I say it TT750. Shocked
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta release won't be made public but at least there is an update in the works being tested. I asked the Garmin tech what firmware they were running when they tried to replicate my issues and couldn't.

No idea what is in the update but I am sure it will address some of the issues brought out in this and other forums.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I might wait a while and see what happens IF & WHEN the software is updated.

TBH, I think this is disgusting that Garmin didn't take the time & care to check everything worked properly in both firmware & software before its release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: