Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gahooduk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM traffic Reply with quote

The A406 north circular has now been closed for almost five hours after a mjor accoident , yet Tomtom and tom tom route planner take you through the closed section henly corner/temple fortune to finchley...now as queing traffic is bad on the entry road, it diverts you around those and back onto the totaly closed secrtion...is tomtom traffic always that bad, i have just putrchased it Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not normally THAT bad.
More usually it is just a bit behind the time, so that you might hit a big jam sooner than you expect, or it is still displaying a jam that has now gone.

If you can give as much detail as poss, I'll pass the report on to them.
They will need dates and times of incident
Time you got there and finally escaped.
Lat/Long coordinates
Any annotated maps you can produce will help a lot.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Would this be better moved to the appropriate forum?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... TomTom PND section?

I'll leave a marker for it in the original place, though.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, this is the only flaw in the LIVE system. Because it works with "live" data, a road closure causes it a headache. It picks up the tailback and surrounding roads, but needs manual intervention to make the road closed. Since this is fairly unusual, LIVE is normally very good, telling you about slow traffic.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeatedly reported roadworks in the centre of Preston which weren't showing up or reporting delays, I simply sat in a queue watching my ETA gradually increasing. At first TomTom replied & told me they'd look into it but after reporting it 4 or 5 times they didn't bother to acknowledge my report & certainly didn't fix it. I regularly come across unreported delays & roadworks so maybe live traffic is more accurate in the South than it is ooop north!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my use is oop north too. 8-)

It may be that the Preston cell towers can't tell what is happening. I've been amazed at some of the "localness" of the roads that it can see delay on - in Manchester in particular I was sat in traffic and could almost see the lanes update live with the traffic movements.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind how much traffic chaos the roadworks around Strand Road are causing there should be delays reported around this area on the HD Live traffic, to be honest I have been avoiding the affected area and will do so for the next 18 months - Mike
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Bearing in mind how much traffic chaos the roadworks around Strand Road are causing there should be delays reported around this area on the HD Live traffic, to be honest I have been avoiding the affected area and will do so for the next 18 months - Mike

I haven't been through for about 3 weeks now but before that I got stuck at least 3 or 4 times a weeks while travelling between Blackpool & Southport & yet I have never had any warnings from HD Traffic.

I've also reported various roadworks in Southport which TomTom Traffic ignored but I gave up submitting missing data to them when they started ignoring my submissions. I've come to the conclusion that the 550 & HD Traffic are a good product & service spoilt only by TomToms involvement.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I wasn't directly affected by the traffic mentioned in the original post, I was drivign the other way along the A406 from Henley and saw that around the Ikea at Wembley it was showing as queuing traffic going the other way.

However, once I'd arrived at Kingston and planned my journey home, TT decided I should go back that way. It helpfully advised me that there would be a 51 minute delay in doing so!! I suspected that the delay would be significantly more than 51 minutes, so went home via the M3/M25, which takes about the same time but is just around 20 miles longer.

The thing is, I've noticed a few times now that TT doesn't always get you the best route, even with HD Traffic... it's as though it only attempts a partial re-routing once traffic is added, rather than a full start from scratch... why it didn't come up with the M3/M25 route itself I don't know... woe betide anyone who buys something like this and puts their trust in to it completely!
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redvers wrote:
woe betide anyone who buys something like this and puts their trust in to it completely!

I think that applies to satnavs in general for some people Rolling Eyes like the people who get stuck down a bridal way or in a forded river because the satnav told them to go that way!

Is the delay time anyway inteligent? It seems to me on the M25 just to be based on the length of queue? Once my TT informs me of a delay I normally phone trafficline to find out exactly what the problem is and then decide what action to take from the info there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: