Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radville wrote:
When the download was put on my pc, I forget the exact wording but it does to a layman imply that it should be updated to your sat nav asap. I think it poor that no fix time has been advised

FWIW, I think we too all think it poor that no fix time has been advised, and even more poor that the update is still being recommended. Indeed, while updating the PGPSW camera database, I was offered the update still, and TomTom "recommends" that all update to it. STILL! How many people are going to break their LIVE services before they fix it? I can only hope that TomTom are going to extend EVERY user in the UK for another month as compensation for the disruption. Very poor. In my business, I'd pull the update until it was fixed, rather than have anyone else break it and suffer. I can't imagine that the undoing of the problem is quick, and this is a vital tool for some.
Wheelz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted the warning from Pocket GPS World so avoided this problem this time.

I (and a lot of other users) had similar problems back in August 2009.

Then I owned a 520. It took TomTom 6 weeks to explore with me possible solutions, before they referred my problems to their technical department.

After a further week the technical department correctly identified that my phone connection (via OrangeWorld) to their server was corrupted by the update, and advised me among other things to ask Orange to allow access to over age 18 websites!

Orange got back to me within 16 hours and together we fixed the problem in 20 minutes while I waited on the phone.

Now I use a 550 I dread to think what would happen without Orange to fix a possible corrupt link.
madgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the x50 range was launched, most of the UK units wouldn't connect to Live Services at all.

I bought two units from two different shops, but had to return them both as faulty. Long discussions with Tomtom support achieved nothing.

Decided to keep my good ol' 940 in the end!

If it wasn't for HD traffic, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a brand with better support.
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the problem with the 949 and 740 been sorted yet as I am holding fire upgrading until it has?

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted in as much as brushed under the carpet and hope the people with problems will just go back to V8 and forget all about upgrading over time,

In other words Standard TomTom Fix - Nothing!
vlbaindoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madgee wrote:
When the x50 range was launched, most of the UK units wouldn't connect to Live Services at all.

I bought two units from two different shops, but had to return them both as faulty. Long discussions with Tomtom support achieved nothing.

Decided to keep my good ol' 940 in the end!

If it wasn't for HD traffic, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a brand with better support.

In my view - at least hardware wise, the 950 device is actually a downgrade from 940 device.
The 950 does not have MP3 player, no FM transmitter - but the 940 has both.

Newer software is probably the only thing that exists as a plus point for 950.

And this probably explains why Tom Tom does not want to release Navcore 9 for the x40 device - because it is likely that their market share of x50 devices would suffer.

But then the x40 devices seem to be all but gone from market. So any software upgrade they provide for x40 devices would be just to maintain their existing customer base.

So this explains why Tom Tom seem to be so directionless! Imagine a Sat Nav company that does not know where it is going! Pun intended.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
Has the problem with the 949 and 740 been sorted yet as I am holding fire upgrading until it has?

Nope.

I foolishly took a punt on updating my 740 this evening. LIVE services are kaput with the SIM card error message.

All other functions seem to be OK, though.
vlbaindoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
furryfred wrote:

Nope.

I foolishly took a punt on updating my 740 this evening. LIVE services are kaput with the SIM card error message.

All other functions seem to be OK, though.

Hi there,

When I was as eager as you seem to be here to get Navcore 9 onto x40 device, I also found that the new Navcore had a key bouncing problem - the touch screen buttons were difficult to use as one press of them was getting interpreted as multiple presses in the same area of the screen.

This meant that if the first press resulted in another menu screen appearing and that had a button in the same physical area of the touch screen , the device treated as if even that button had been pressed even though you would not even had a chance to look at the second button itself.

I had trouble selecting the "Navigate To" button as the next menu to be shown on screen had "Home" button and I ended up selecting "Navigate to home" over and over again while I was trying to go to a new place in a new town.

This was one of the major reasons why I reverted back to the older Navcore.

What has been your experience please?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.054 for the 940 makes the touch buttons more sensitive than I would like, it is not as bad a some of the earlier (9.023 I think) 950 versions that made it almost impossible to use.

The earlier 950 versions on the 940 also caused two other significant problems in that it never fully went into "soft off" so the battery flattened if not used for a few days and also if Live Services lost connection to the server, they required a rebooot or in and out of flight mode to get them working again. I have never got as far as testing if these issues were resolved in the 9.054 as there were no Live Services at all.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madgee wrote:
I wonder which one that would be then Confused
vlbaindoor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
madgee wrote:
I wonder which one that would be then Confused

A Windows 7 based iPad with GPS capabilities?
Twisted Evil
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post bragging about using cracked NavCores* has been removed. Please remember the Forum Rules. We have a zero tolerance policy to the discussion of pirate material.

* See notes later in this thread.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I did not interpret that post as bragging about pirated maps but talking about using x40 software on the x50. You do not need dodgy forums to do this, but the point made was that these issues existed nearly a year ago and could have been resolved by now.

The installation data (intended platform) within the official application has shown that the 9.02x OS was designed for the x40 & x50 hardware, even though TomTom only targeted it at the x50 through Home.
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I must admit I did not interpret that post as bragging about pirated maps but talking about using x40 software on the x50. You do not need dodgy forums to do this, but the point made was that these issues existed nearly a year ago and could have been resolved by now.

The installation data (intended platform) within the official application has shown that the 9.02x OS was designed for the x40 & x50 hardware, even though TomTom only targeted it at the x50 through Home.

Mr T, thanks for the support.

Facts:

I have a CURRENT map update subscription with tomtom
I have a CURRENT pgpsw camera sub
I do not share copyrighted material
I did not mention any site by name
I did not link to any site
I have nothing to brag about.

I made an on topic post pointing out that this bug had been known since navcore9 was released nearly a year ago.

Earlier in this very thread someone comments about putting two navcores together and testing them. This is NO different to the post I made which has been deleted. If those posts don't break your "zero-tolerance" policy, neither did mine. Or does that only apply if your not best-buds with a moderator?

As stated, PaulB2005 you are completely out of order and I will be making a complaint, not that it'll make a blind bit of difference I'm sure. Your attitude stinks, and I think you owe me an apology.

edit: Sorry to everyone else, I realise you don't really care, and i realise I'm blowing this out of proportion, but its not nice to have false accusations made against you with seemingly zero intelligence. Thanks again to Mr T for apparently having the capacity to understand the point and reasoning behind the original post I made.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a moderator at a large TomTom forum in North America. An announcement at the top of every forum is this:

TomTom Forums has been experiencing an increase in posts by members that make reference to illegal (warez) sites.

Such sites will not be promoted, advertised or tolerated at TomTom Forums and members making such posts run the risk of being banned from here permanently.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

and it's had over 20,000 views in the year or so it's been posted.

In my opinion, Paul was doing what a good moderator should be doing...

(and I have banned users for less......)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: