Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - W&CE v 850 map released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

W&CE v 850 map released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
My XL Live IQ Routes Europe tells me I need to delete 384Mb to create enough free space on the unit to download the map. There isn't 384Mb of items offered for removal! I don't get any option to change the zone when doing this (part of LMG) so how am I meant to download the zones before installing them??

Hmm You'll have to speak to TT. I'll bet they overlooked this senerio...

Well I told them about this and received the stock response that maps may not fit on your device so pick which zone you want...

What they fail to realise is that the existing map is not zoned. As such, there is no option in LMG when you do the update to change the zone to a smaller / partial one. They made the damn things, don't they test them at all? Why am I having to tell them this? Coupled with their inability to work out when 12 months is re my LIVE services, I'm regretting buying the thing and am considering returing it to Amazon to swap it for the UKROI version instead (or maybe just not bother as my one experience of HD Traffic was rubbish too).
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the memory issue, could some peoples problem be not using the latest version of Home? I thought that the choosing a map zone feature was only added in the latest version?
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Apart from the memory issue, could some peoples problem be not using the latest version of Home? I thought that the choosing a map zone feature was only added in the latest version?

I have the latest version of HOME... I suspect that a lack of a zoned map installed initially prevents the option from being displayed... or it may be that this issue only becomes apparent as part of the Latest Map Guarantee!
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robin2"]
PaulB2005 wrote:

Didn't work for me. I have a 4GB SD card in my 720 and removed all maps from it so that I had more than 3.8GB free. I tried Change the Map Zone and was only offered the three sub-regions, not the complete map.
Incidentally, I can't use the card reader with Home. When I try it brings up a page showing how to register a card with Home (which includes making a Home backup), but then says that it can't be done with a 720. Is this wrong?

Robin

You need the application to be installed on the SD card in order for it to work with Home. Copy all files from the internal memory to the SD Card and try again.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine offers me Western and Central Europe as default, then the option of Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Zones.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, having downloaded and "installed" the latest map to a USB stick I am still unable to get it from my PC or the USB stick to my device.

I am using HOME v2.7.5.2014 and this reports itself as the latest version when I check for an update.

When I go in to manage my device, expand the Maps tab, I am shown "Western & Central Europe 2GB" which is showing as 1682.5MB. There is a "More info" link, but no option to change zones. When you click "More info" the map describes itself as "Detailed map seamlessly covering Western and Central Europe - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory."

When I look at the new map under "Items on computer" the map is 2264.2MB and again has "More info" but no option to change zones. Selectign more info suggests that "users of devices with limited memory ... will be able to choose between and swith map zones using TomTom HOME" but I cannot for the life of me work out HOW!

When I run LMG while my device is connected, I'm told a new map is available so I click "Get it now" - this identifies that there is a new map available online (wonder why it doesn't see the one on my harddrive?) and under "more info" it says "This item needs to be downloaded" - there is no option to change zones. When I click "Install now" I am told that the new item won't fit and to free up 384MB of space although there is only 34.8MB of available files for removal.... and again there is no option for downloading and installing just one zone from the new map.

As the map is already downloaded, I can click "Add maps" and it shows as being on my computer. When I click "Add" to put it on my device, I'm told that the full version will not fit, but that I can choose zones, and to click continue to add the map to the shopping cart (???). I click continue and am once again presented with the "it wont fit, free up some space" dialogue as opposed to any zonal choice.

Any suggestions, anyone??
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just put a 8GB SD card in a reader and TT Home recognised it and recommended I download the W&CE map. In the available downloads there is the option to change zones and download the zoned maps. I am trying the Western Zone to see if it will let me have more than one zone at a time or if it deletes a zone if you install another. At the moment it is downloading to a different directory "Europe_-_Western_Zone".

On installing to the device it renames the map folder to "Europe_West" and overwrite the map files but leaves all my personal files (POIs etc) intact.

if you go back into add maps you can add the W&CE map which copies all the POI files from the Western Zone Folder into a new W&CE folder but deletes the Western Zone Map Files then installs the W&CE map files.

If you manually add a map folder it will support both maps and you can switch between them on the Go in options, manage maps, switch maps.

Last edited by MrT on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's how to get it all onto an SD card if you're usign a 7XX Tomtom..

Firstly you can't use a card reader since Home won't recognise your SD card when put in alone... (this is actually mentioned in their help pages from TomTom Home but not on the website - reading between the lines this is because it's easy to spoof them into letting you use a map you haven't paid for - ie we're being treated just like users of TomTom Navigator..

Any how what you need to do is as follows:

OOPS almost forgot DO A FULL WINDOWS BACKUP FIRST!

1. Make a complete copy of your internal memory to your SD card (make sure you've enabled hidden files etc in your windows settings

2. Open TomTom Home - select your memory card as the active device

3. Select update my device

4. You will be told that there's not enough room on your device and be offered some files to delete - make a note of these file locations (note you want the locations of the files on the device itself not the memory card)

5 Abort the upgrade and reopen windows explorer and delete the files you made a note of in stage 4 from the device

6. Reopen TomTom home and select upgrade - this time it should run without an hitch (making room on the device itself will allow the download to occur and it will actually update your memory card not your device - basically their idiot software won't allow an upgrade if the device is full even if you're not using it)

7. Do the normal restart routine (copy a recent back up of mapsettings.cfg back into the new map and use operate my GO in TomTom home) and everything should be fine - you can now delete all of the files on your internal memory BTW

Hope this helps

DinAlt

Edited for clarity

Last edited by DinAlt on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redvers wrote:
Any suggestions, anyone??

Looks like you have downloaded the full map, which won't fit on a XL.

Using Windows Explorer, browse to where TT has downloaded your map to and MOVE the TomTom/HOME/downloads/complete/maps subfolders to somewhere else on your PC. Make sure HOME is not running when you do this.

Now start up HOME, go to Manage My device, Computer tab and you should have no maps at all listed.

Now connect the XL and update - you will get offered 1 map. When you choose this it will then take you to another page asking you whicj of the four zones you want as it won't fit on your device. Choose whichever one you want.

Hopefully should work - the issue appears to be that you have downloaded the full map by fooling HOME with the SD Card, therefore you will not get offered the 4 'zoned' maps as HOME sees that you have already downloaded your map.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to download the maps before I fooled it, it would not give me an option of downloading zones... It just told me to make more room available than is actually on the device. I tried fooling it in the hope that it would allow me to zone it once I had it downloaded :-/
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much room have you got on the XL and what voices do you have installed?

On my XL LIVE with 845 W&CE 2GB installed I had over 200Mb free. To achieve this kind of free space delete all voices apart from Jane, delete the raster folder and delete all files that begin with cspeech out of your map folder.
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Following the advice here I've managed to download the full map to my 4gb sd card in my 720. I used the card reader trick, it downloaded ok but would not copy to reader. So I put the card back into the 720 and it copied OK
Thanks for the info
John Very Happy
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My map-update service expired in May, but I have still been offered by TTHome and have downloaded WCE 850 for free, the 2.2GB version on my 930. Maybe TT are giving me 6 months free even though I never renewed.

WCE850 is no better than the last map, which is why I wasn't going to bother subscribing any more until I see a change in the maps.
redvers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
How much room have you got on the XL and what voices do you have installed?

On my XL LIVE with 845 W&CE 2GB installed I had over 200Mb free. To achieve this kind of free space delete all voices apart from Jane, delete the raster folder and delete all files that begin with cspeech out of your map folder.

the maximum capacity of the xl is 1958mb. The 850 map takes up 2264mb before deleting any files. I've not tried deleting the cspeech files, I'll check tomorrow but I really don't think they take up 300mb Smile
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stampy72 wrote:
Anybody know why my TT has now developed an interesting "bug"...

Whenever I switch it on - it shows a road near me as both "Hanover Court" and "Oxclose"

As soon as it locks onto a GPS signal - it correctly shows only ONE road "Oxclose"

I corrected the map yesterday with this (as well as 19 other ones) that I have been correcting with both MapShare & TeleAtlas for at least 5 years!

Right - here's the screengrabs (done via TT Home)

Mine show's Oxclose at the bottom and Hanover Court on the road

until the Satellite's lock on then I get this screen

Which is the correction I made yesterday after downloading the map.

Anybody got any ideas why it does this?
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: