Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New map installed on my tom tom 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New map installed on my tom tom 910
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I always find money from Coutts feels nicer, as it hasn't been touched by the lower classes. Cool

Don't you believe it! My first job when I left school at the age of 16 in 1959 was at Coutts, and I had an account there.

Mind, women weren't allowed to work in the "Front Office" where they would be seen by customers, and I was once told on answering the phone to a "gentleman" that he didn't want to speak to a woman, please pass him over to a man. Imagine that today!
Samsung Galaxy S21
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Hi Thanks to Mikealder for the info.

In your reply to me you said "If you have all the fuel POI categories from this site consider the "Combine Sub-Cats" option where you can roll quite a few Fuel POI Categories in to a single file reducing the number of categories but not the number of locations"

So please will you tell me what I need to do to "combine Sub-Cats" as I don't know where to find this. Is it an option within my Tom Tom????

The strange thing about all this is before I installed the new updated Map from Tom Tom, everything was working fine, even with the large number of POI files I had in there!!!!

Can you explain why the UK speed camera data base cannot be seen when I operate my Tom Tom manually but yet, when I look at the Western Map folder via my PC, it shows all of the UK speed warning ov2 files in there. ??????

I am probably mistaken here but I'm almost certain I asked the question about how many POI's I could store in my Tom Tom via this meassage board sometime ago and the person who replied said I could store almost as many as I wanted..............guess I got that one wrong !!!!!

I'm trying like mad to sort everything out as I'm travelling to Italy next Friday and want to make sure my Tom Tom is up for the trip !!!!!!

Thanks

Jimmy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're in a hurry, may I offer some answers?

Combining the "sub-cats" for fuel etc. is something you do before you download them from this site, not on the TomTom.
When you go to the POI download page step 4 says this:
Quote:
How should the files be created?
Separate files per subcategory
Combine subcategories into (one) category file

In other words if you select Shell, BP, Total, and Esso in the list and tick the first option, you get four separate files, called Shell, BP etc.
But if you tick the second option, you get one file called "Fuel" (or something similar).

Alternatively, you can use a program like POIEdit, to merge all the seperate files together into one (you do that by "opening" the first one and then "appending" the rest (both choices are in the "File" menu of POIEdit).

----------------------------------

The total number of POI categories you can have on the unit before it starts losing some of them, differs by machine. For a long time it has been 169, but on more recent models and software it is 250. If you think that may be your problem try removing all of them except about 30 and then see what happens.

--------------------------------------

One other possible thought... You haven't still got BOTH maps on the device, maybe one on internal memory and one on an SD card? (without exiting the reply window I can't scroll back far enough to find out what model you're using!)

I've heard it happen before, and people were happily putting their new POI files into the wrong map folder and wondering why they weren't showing up.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
One other possible thought... You haven't still got BOTH maps on the device, maybe one on internal memory and one on an SD card? (without exiting the reply window I can't scroll back far enough to find out what model you're using!).
It's a 910, but he may have several Maps installed. Smile

The latest software is 7.903 and the POI limit is 169.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: POI's Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Can you explain why the UK speed camera data base cannot be seen when I operate my Tom Tom manually but yet, when I look at the Western Map folder via my PC, it shows all of the UK speed warning ov2 files in there. ??????

Assuming you aren't applying the POIs to the wrong map (as per Andy_P's suggestion), this is one of the classic symptoms of having too many POI categories on the device.

Unfortunately the categories it chooses to show are relatively random - there's no easy way to work out which ones are going to be available for use and which ones aren't, so the only solution is to delete or combine categories as already described.

If you had all so many categories on the device previously, I would suggest that you were lucky, and the ones which weren't in use just happened to be the less-important ones.

I could question whether you really need so many POI categories, and whether you have just downloaded some from this site on the off-chance that they may be useful. I'm sure that on examining them you will find some that you can do without, but you should also consider whether the POI files themselves are actually of any use.

There are a number of categories on the PGPSW database that only contain a very small number of POIs, and are therefore of very little practical use if installed on your TomTom. They may be suitable categories, but if there is insufficient data there, then they just aren't worth downloading. for example, the Travel Agent category contains just two POIs - that is unlikely to be of any use to anyone who needs to find his nearest travel agent in a hurry! If you have any similar categories on your TomTom, then I would suggest that these should be candidates for deletion!
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: maps installed Reply with quote

My Model is a Tom Tom 910 and doesn't have an SD card and I believe that the only maps I have installed are Western Europe and Noth America, don't know if that helps at all. Is it possible that my "old" version is still on there ?????? If so how can I check and then how can I get rid of it.

Thanks for the explanation on POI groups........... I am thinking at th moment that maybe the best thing to do is to delete all of them and then start again !!!!!

Because the most important one I want on there is your camera database and thats the one I don't have at the moment.

Its 9.16 Saturday morning and I have a few things to sort out today so I won't get chance to delete my POI's until probably after about 18.00 this evening, so if you think its a good idea or maybe not a good idea to delete them all, maybe you could send me a message by 18.00hrs if you have chance.
As always....Many thanks

Jimmy Merlin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sneaky feeling that this thread is a wind up
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Robin2 Reply with quote

Can I assure you that this is a genuine enquiry and I can think of no reason that Robin feels that this is and I quote " I have a sneaky feeling that this thread is a wind up Robin"

I am asking for help on a genuine problem I have, Robin 2 Swansea
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Jimmy, I was wrong, please accept my apologies. What made me suspicious was that you seemed to have about 330 POI categories, and didn't seem sure whether you needed them or not.
Anyway, I hope you sort your problem and the trip to Italy goes well
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: POI's Message for Robin Reply with quote

Hi Robin

Aplogies accepted.......thany you very much as a fellow Swansea person myself !!!!

With regards the number of POI's I have stored, although I couldn't 100% swear to it, I'm almost sure that someone on this site replied to me sometime ago and said I could store almost as many POI's as I wanted, hence the reason for downloading so many.

I have downloaded POI's for Italy, France, Austria etc and just left them on my Tom Tom , but what i will do now is delete them after I have visted those countries.

As I said above, before I downloaded the new Tom Tom map evrything seemed to work OK !!!

Cheers Robin , I will enjoy the Hols !

Jimmy Merlin
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Message to Andy P regarding your advice on the 22nd July Reply with quote

Hi
I have done as you suggested and removed ALL of the PWGPS OV2 and BMP files from my Tom Tom ( I stored them in a new file on my PC in case I wanted to use them again or I made a mistake !!! )

I then downloaded the latest speed camera update and it allowed me to download it to my tom tom 910 and set up all the speed warnings, so at last I think I have had sucess !

I tried to down load the POI's from your site for Hotels and used the " Combine subcategories into (one) category file" option that you pointed out to me, I made sure that there were less than 20 items to download,but each time I did it an error message came up saying there was a problem. Can you suggest anyway around this ?????

I now know that I can only put a maximum of seperate POI's onto my tom tom, so is there a way to combine all of the speed camera seperate files into just one folder, to save space in my Tom Tom????
Within the UK speed camera database that I have just downloaded and installed ,lets say there are approx 30'ish ( or whatever) seperate files to down load, but if I could place them into just one file it would save space in my tom tom and allow me to download other subcategories of POI files.
Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

I will be going out shortly and will take my tom tom with me to see if it warns me of the camera near my house to see if I have done things correctly.

Thanks

Jimmy Merlin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the "Consolidated By Type" Speed Camera Database which will warn you of the camera type but not the associated speed, if you are happy to disregard the speed related information then this might be an option to consider but I would personally think that the applicable speed limit when approaching a camera is far more important than the camera type.
If you were to concatenate (Sorry DennisN) all the speed camera files in to one single category all you would get is the location warning with no additional information about the type of speed.

What web browser are you using for the "Hotels" POI file, and give it another try with the "Show Link" checkbox checked which is next to the download button - Mike
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Voice warnings Reply with quote

Hi
I have nearly sorted out all my problems now after updating my tom Tom map, but there is still one problem that I hope you can help with.

I have followed the advice given about downloading the "voice alert" and done what you suggested :-

"If you explore your TomTom device with a file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer, Finder etc) you should find an empty folder called "sounds"

I have copied the voice files into the folder on my tom tom called Sounds, but I still do not get the voice warnings when approching various speed cameras.

It would be nice if I could get it working as I'm driving to Italy tomorrow evening for a bit of cycling and summer skiing !!!!!

Many thanks

Jimmy
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Sorry............some extra information for last posting Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I tried to use Method 2 to install the voice warnings.

As this didn't work, should I try method 1 and put the ogg files in with my camera warnings which are in the Map of western europe folder ???

Thanks again

Jimmy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just confirm what you've done?

You put the individual .ogg files into the folder called "sounds"
Then you went to the "Warn when near" setup pages in "Manage POIs"
You chose the first camera type.
You went through the distance setting
You got to the "choose a sound" page and the PGPSW .ogg files were not there to choose from?

Or you could choose them but they didn't make a noise at the right time?

If it was number 1 then you can't have put the right files in the right place.

If it was number 2 then I don't know what else to suggest.

By all means try the "Method 1" route of putting the .ogg files into the map folder. Justremember that you won't be able to listen to them during the setup process, just answer "yes" when it asks "is this is the sound you want to use" even though it hasn't told you or shown you which it is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: