Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No stop camera alerts on 540 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No stop camera alerts on 540 Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: No stop camera alerts on 540 Live Reply with quote

My recently purchased 540 Live (via Total PDA, good price and service incidentally) no longer shows alerts for stop cameras. It seems to be working for the other types of cameras though. A question to TT has not resolved the problem - I was told that they are working on it and to be patient. Trouble is, this is a paid-for service that isn't working properly, and I reckon I've waited long enough for a fix.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Is there a widespread problem with stop camera alerts or is it just my unit?

PS Have searched the forum but found no other reports or comments so far, so perhaps it is just mine?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have searched the forum but found no other reports or comments so far, so perhaps it is just mine?

Probably as most people here use the PGPSW database and not TomToms poor effort...

Seems funny (ironic, not funny BTW Wink ) that the week they confirm they are removing 3rd party POI proximity alerts from new units, they nobble their own. Laughing

I'll have a look at my 740 later - my LIVE sub ran out last week but it has the cameras from 2 weeks ago on it.

BTW what is a STOP camera? Can you give an example of one that doesn't work. Location etc...
GMC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, sorry if I used the wrong teminology - it's the alerts for the cameras at the stop lines of traffic lights that are not working currently. Examples - all 3 along stretches of the A27 in the vicinity of Shoreham, Lancing etc. I first noticed two weeks ago that no alerts were coming up on these (and other similar cameras elsewhere) and this was still the case yesterday. The cameras are still there so presumably at least one of them is still snapping away.

I too have used Pocket GPS's excellent system on my previous 520 (and still do, although it's now a spare) but I don't think my 540 will run with speed cameras from any other provider. In any event, I do find the Live system very useful, and I think that TT's speed cameras come included in the Live subscription (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think my 540 will run with speed cameras from any other provider

Why not? The PGPSW ones certainly do...

Quote:
sorry if I used the wrong teminology - it's the alerts for the cameras at the stop lines of traffic lights

Ahh. Red light cameras

I'll have a look later today if i get 10 minutes...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMC wrote:
I don't think my 540 will run with speed cameras from any other provider.

As Paul says, they certainly do. Set-up is exactly the same as for your 520.
(You can use our voice warning packs or type in your own for the Text to speech voice to read out.

GMC wrote:
In any event, I do find the Live system very useful, and I think that TT's speed cameras come included in the Live subscription (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I find the other parts of the LIVE subscription very useful too and yes, the TT camera data comes as part of it, but a poor speed camera database is worse than none at all, IMHO.
I run both at the same time, but usually end up turning the TT camera alerts off after I've convinced myself they are STILL as bad as I remember them from the last time!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the one at the junction of Coombes Road and the A27.

PGPSW database picked it up but TT one didn't.

Sadly TT don't allow you browse their data in any way so you can't even see if the camera is in their database (probably not). Fortunately the PGPSW is more transparent...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run my usual test route with both the PGPSW and TomTom database. The route is 10 minutes long and has all manner of Mobile, Fixed and Red Light cameras.

PGPSW database got them all

TomTom missed 4 red light cameras and still had a Monitron isn'tthere any more.... Admittedly my TT database is a week out of date but that Monitron has been gone for a few weeks now.

Specifically the cameras are....

Gatso - Both correctly alerted
Redlight - PGPSW only
Monitron - TomTom only - Camera has gone
Mobile - PGPSW only
Redlight - PGPSW only
Redlight - PGPSW only

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: