Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Date and time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Date and time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Date and time Reply with quote

Is it normal for the date and time to reset every time the SatMap is switched off?

It adjusts back to the correct time when it has a GPS fix but I can't believe the device doesn't remember the time while it is switched off.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "reset".

It does not hold the time like a clock. Previous versions of the software used to do this and the battery would go flat between uses.

The system now is that you set the UTC/DST offset and the device uses this to derive the local time from the satellites.

Hope that helps.
klogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I am not entirely sure what you mean by "reset".

By reset, I mean it goes back to some default date and time in the past (I don'thave my SatMap here to say exactly what date and time, but it is something like 1st Jan 2000 12:00)

4ndynorfolk wrote:
It does not hold the time like a clock. Previous versions of the software used to do this and the battery would go flat between uses.

I suppose that make some sense, I thought this might have started happening after an upgrade but wasn't sure.

4ndynorfolk wrote:
The system now is that you set the UTC/DST offset and the device uses this to derive the local time from the satellites.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does help if I am right in my understanding that whenever I turn on my SatMap it will not display the right time until it gets a GPS fix and that this behaviour is by design to preserve the battery charge.

Thanks.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="klogg"]
4ndynorfolk wrote:
........ if I am right in my understanding that whenever I turn on my SatMap it will not display the right time until it gets a GPS fix and that this behaviour is by design to preserve the battery charge. Thanks.
That's how mine works; not a problem really because you have to wait for it to lock on to satellites before it's much use!

What does puzzle me a bit is that when I reset the Trip Log to start a journey, it will put the correct start time in the time field (assuming I have sat. lock OK) but after I've stopped the Trip Log at the end of my journey, when I switch the unit on the next day, it just shows the DATE I started the last journey and not the original time recorded. All the other data relevant to the last trip is retained until the next reset, except the start time - I wonder why?
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klogg wrote:
Yes it does help if I am right in my understanding that whenever I turn on my SatMap it will not display the right time until it gets a GPS fix

Actually this is not quite correct, at least on my unit. It does not have to wait for a full GPS fix. It displays the right time immediately after getting a signal from one satellite.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: