Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Pocket GPS team members have mentioned problems with GPRS when moving at speed.

When people are saying "GPRS is still available", are you going by the GPRS indicator on the phone (if relevant) and Pocket PC asserting that it's still got a network connection (the two arrows pointing left and right if you're using Pocket PC 2003), or are you actually checking you can still access the Internet with another application such as Pocket Internet Explorer?

It could be that the GPRS connection (or for those using Bluetooth phones, Bluetooth connection) has fallen apart, but neither your phone nor Pocket PC have realised. That wouldn't be a TomTom bug, but a GPRS issue.

My setup seems robust enough (in that I haven't had the problem being talked about), though it hasn't had much testing yet. One potential difference over some of your systems is that my Nokia 6310i is in a Nokia CARK-91 connected to a Vauxhall factory radio / GSM antenna. Maybe the external body-mount phone antenna makes a difference.

It may also be that mobile network makes a difference - I'm using Vodafone's "internet" APN on a Vodafone contract.

David
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

I still have a GPRS connection.
When TOMTOM Traffic stops I have checked the connection using Internet Explorer.
This problem happens eaven if I am not moving so its not GPRS connection or the BlueTooth connection failing.

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough - I was simply trying to get the most accurate information.

Can I suggest that if people are suffering this issue, they include information on their Pocket PC, ROM version of the Pocket PC, mobile network used, details of any external phone antennas in use and whether it was confirmed (for example with Pocket Internet Explorer) that the GPRS connection was still working.

For those using an external mobile phone with Bluetooth, include also any Bluetooth stack upgrades installed on the Pocket PC, phone make, model and firmware version (if known).

It's sounding more like a program or TomTom server issue than anything else in the light of your GPRS connection still being live, but it would do no harm to give full information on your setup.

David
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also confirm that the GPRS connection is still live because Pocket IE can still browse the internet, also exiting Navigator and restarting (without restarting gprs) will let it connect up for it's two reads before it fails again.

Does anyone else notice that you don't seem to get a full list of incidents even on the first attempt where it claims to be successful.

For example, with the pda in the cradle go to the traffic page and sync up. At the moment I'm seeing the count go up to ~140. (It is almost the rush hour after all Wink )

Then exit TomTom, remove from cradle and connect via GPRS, and go to the same page and sync via GPRS. This time I see the count rise to ~35 before it says that it has completed successfully. Yet no "delays" are displayed, only roadworks or Incidents.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Iain
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the same proiblem im afraid on my xda2 just exit tomtom exit gprs then restart tomtom not as seamless as it should be but if there looking into it
im using the same set up as nick r probbably a bug in software

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain

Yes I have noticed the same thing.
Youn only seem to get halt a list using the GPRS.
Using the Ipaq in the cradle connected to a PC and the Internet it works much better. You seem to get a full list every time. I noticed this just before before I left work the M25 was showing slow traffic got into the car started tomtom connected to the traffic service it showed no problems on the M25. Rolling Eyes
THe M25 was slow as usual. Exclamation

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me Too.
I connect to a Sonyericsson P900 and can perform 2-3 traffic updates before I get the cannot connect message. I am still able to browse the internet, so GPRS is still connected.

Also, whilst viewing the traffic map screen, I have been swapping between updating the traffic info using activesync (whilst docked) and via gprs (undocked), and notice more than half the traffic incidents disappear when using GPRS and re-appear when docked. The GPRS downloaded traffic incident count randomly varies between 30 and 50 during succesive updates, compared to 90-100 whilst docked.

PS I am on Orange GPRS.
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last posting, I have failed to get past 3-4 updates when travelling. I must have just been very very lucky to get 12 updates on my first attempt.

It's a shame as I have been looking forward to this addition to TomTom having used the talking dashmount Traffic Master which unfortunatley, is louder than TomTom's voice navigation !

Seems that Traffic is well and truely , though to me it looks more like a server issue than a software problem which hopefully should be easier to fix. Do we know if anyone outside of the UK is having this problem ? If it works everywhere but the UK and the software is the same in all countries, it would suggest a server problem don't you think ?

Dr V Thumbs Up
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv e had it on all day today and yesterday to playing with on my xda2 it looks like a tomtom problem and ive lost all my voice the speaker doesnt work so ive just done a hard reset this has brought the speaker back to life so hopefully itll work ok now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
dksbbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem and I have submitted a question to TOMTOM, attached at the end of this message.

I have stopped checkpoint in case it was this, no success, I have loaded a smaller map no success, Today I have installed the Blue Tooth manager upgrade from compaq and will trial this tonight on the way home.

A couple of times I have also noticed is that the traffic is not accurate.

The last two morning my journey over the Thelwall viaduct TTtraffic informed me of delays of 18 minutes, no delays what so ever. Last night no delays were shown on the M61/M60/M62 section, fortunately someone phoned me who had been crawling and covering 1 mile in about 45 minutes, there was total gridlock but TT traffic showed no problems, fortunately I was able to divert before getting caught. At present I don't have much trust in this system, however I will test it further.

Dave

Dear Tom Tom,

I have registered and installed Tom Tom traffic on my Ipaq, (Full details of hardware follow)

The initial connection to the traffic system works fine, however after the second or third attempt the traffic system displays a connection error and asks me to check the internet connection, My bluetooth connection to my phone is still active, gprs is open and I can browse the internet with out problems.

In order to remedy this problem I need to exit TT3 and restart the application, I can then connect on another couple of occassions.

Are you aware of this problem and is there a fix available.

Equipment Details:-

PDA: Ipaq 3870
ROM Date 06/10/02
ROM Version: 2.20.21 ENG
Processor Type: SA1110
Processor Revision B5
Pocket PPC 2002 (OS Version Windows CE 3.0)

Bluetooth Module Type BC-01
Radio Revision: 1.0
Radio Present:Y

GSP Mouse: Rikaline 6010

Phone: Nokia 6310i
Manufactured 12/2003
Software V5.22 15/11/02

Service Provider: Orange
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your GPRS link was still working in Pocket IE, but I can tell you first hand that there are some odd GPRS over Bluetooth problems in all Nokia 6310i firmware versions lower than 5.50 (the only difference between 5.50 and 5.51 is that the latter adds support for later versions of the 6310i circuit board). Apparently there's now a 5.52 firmware that incorporates some anti-Bluejacking code (though I keep my 6310i's Bluetooth visibility set to Hidden and have never had any problems with Bluejacking).

Version 5.22 is not disastrous (I started out with 4.80, then had 5.10, 5.22 and finally 5.50 on my 6310i), but you may find that things work better if you can get the phone upgraded to 5.50 or 5.51 firmware; there's a lot of fixes in the Bluetooth code, and quite a few enhancements in the GPRS code. Be aware that people other than official Nokia Service Centres who try to upgrade firmware might leave you with a phone where Bluetooth no longer works.

If your phone is in warranty, simply take it to a service centre and say you have problems with using GPRS over Bluetooth. There's sufficient bugs in both Bluetooth and GPRS in pre-5.50 firmware that most service centres will be happy to upgrade your firmware for you.

An added advantage is that 5.50 and later firmware adds support for using the PC Suite over Bluetooth (without having to buy the expensive Nokia or Socket Bluetooth hardware for your PC). Various software on the Pocket PC can make use of this PC Suite over Bluetooth capability, too (I'm using smartGSM with my 6310i).

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Nokia 6310i support multiple accounts for bluetooth dial-up networking?

On my Ericson T610 I can dial *99***CID# where the CID is the number of the account. On the the Nokia it does not seem to understand the CID number and only dials Active Access Point 1.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my last message I have found on the Nokia that I need the additional modem string (+CDGCONT...) to dial any APN other than Active Access Point 1.
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same problem - updates 2 times then says cannot connect, yet I can also still start explorer and surf the net etc...

Here is my equipment

SUPPLIER O2

PHONE Sony Ericcson T610

PPC iPAQ 5550

OS version CE4.2, ROM 1.10.10 ENG, Bluetooth Firmware 1.7.0 - 1.8.0 Hardware Revision LMX9814V5, Driver Version 1.4.1.60, Software Version 1.4.1.60

The number I dail is *99***2# and this relates (on the phone) to o2 Mobileweb - should'nt it go to o2 WAP GPRS ??? (which is CID 1)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nokia 6310i only has one context ID.

oisky - your T610 settings are right if you're getting a couple of updates. There might just be a problem with O2 - MrT has also had problems with O2 GPRS.

I've not (yet) had any problems with Vodafone GPRS using a Nokia 6310i (5.50 firmware).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: