Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems Reply with quote

Has any here successfully used Traffic with an O2 GPRS connection? My problem is that the traffic plugin if set to check every 5min will give up after a couple of attempts and display

"Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic, check your Internet connection"

However at this point the GPRS connection is still active and Pocket Internet Explorer can still browse the internet.

However, if left on the cradle connected via Activesync the Traffic plugin will work quite happily.

Has anyone seen similar problems?

Ipaq 3870 + Nokia 6310i

Iain
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iain,

I’m using a Nokia 6310i with a contract O2 tariff (O2 400) and I’ve sort of successfully got GPRS to work. Please see this thread for more information.

I can get it to connect if I first open the BT manager and tap on the icon of the Nokia 6310i and tap “Set as Bluetooth Dialup Modem”. I will get the first traffic data and then I’ll often loose the GPRS connection.

Does anybody know how to make the 6310i automatically become always set as the Bluetooth dialup modem?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
filesaveas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Works over o2 for me Reply with quote

Works fine on o2 over GPRS for me. Using Windows 2003 PPC, and a Nokia 6600 over Bluetooth.

If you're able to establish a connection, but can pass data, it would be that you're using either the WAP or MMS o2 access point. Trick is to get mobileweb enabled, and use mobile.o2.co.uk and not wap.o2.co.uk as the GPRS APN.

Some details at http://www.filesaveas.com/pocketpcconnect.html#gprs
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....

The ipaqs internet connection isn't a problem. Pocket IE works fine, even after Traffic has given up.
Taz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys - I am in need of help!

I have an iPAQ 5550 with TomTom Traffic installed and a Nokia 6610.

I want to set up the connection for Traffic using Infra-red as I dont have Bluetooth but I dont know how to.

I understand you have to set up a new modem connection (at least I think you do!) on the iPAQ, but when it asks for a phone number I am stumped Question

Is this easy to do, or do you suggest I obtain a phone with Bluetooth (which I could if I needed to - a Sony T610)?

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Taz.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions in my post here should work - the only thing I can't remember is what you enter to use the infra-red port instead of Bluetooth (but, from memory, it's fairly obvious).

The use of infra-red in car will probably prove impractical. The same settings suggested in my old post should work on a T610, but you may want to use a different Context ID.

David
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Traffic and O2 GPRS - Problems Reply with quote

mcwill wrote:
Has any here successfully used Traffic with an O2 GPRS connection? My problem is that the traffic plugin if set to check every 5min will give up after a couple of attempts and display

However at this point the GPRS connection is still active and Pocket Internet Explorer can still browse the internet.

However, if left on the cradle connected via Activesync the Traffic plugin will work quite happily.

Has anyone seen similar problems?

Ipaq 3870 + Nokia 6310i

Iain

Hi Iain

I am having the same problems as you.
Traffic is set to update every 5 min this works fine for the first two updates Then I get the same message as you.

Again I have checked Internet Explorer and this is still working.

I am using mobile.o2.co.uk GPRS connection that is setup on my Nokia 6600 and can IE for hours on my 3870 with out any problems.

If I close down TomTom leaving the GPRS commection still open amd restart TomTom it connects to the traffic service again and will update twice before I get the "Cannot connect to TomTom Traffic, check your Internet connection" error again.

I think that this ia a tomtom problem as the internet connection is still working.

BTW did you download ttntraf.exe or ttntraf.zip I don't know if they are the same. I downloaded both as I mentioned in another thread the EXE file failed to install so I installed from the zip file.

I have also run TomTom without Checkpoint running to see if that maid any differance. I still got the same problens.

Anybody got any more ideas about this?

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I used the exe to install so that can't be it.

I think it could be a PPC2002 issue, as other people on O2 can use the system with no problems.
NickR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paul, I get the same problem :-

GPRS is still available and working, I have to restart TOMTOM to get TRAFFIC working again.

I guess is a bug in the software?

By the way I use a XDAII 02 PDA, and connect to GPRS using mobile.o2.co.uk .

IPhone 4
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just phoned TomTom support about this.

They hadn't heard of this issue before so we must be in the minority Sad

They are going to check with the developers and get back to me.

Iain
ama518
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with Traffic running a HP4150 with Nokia 6310i on T Mobile, so looks like this is a bug.

I can happily update 4 times regardless of the update intervals ie 1 min or 10 mins etc, and then I get "Cannot connect to TomTom" errors everytime but works perfectly in the Hot sync cradle and via Wireless LAN connection!

The only way I can clear this is to close TomTom and start over. My IE also works even when traffic says "Check connection". I have emailed TomTom support about this problem this morning.

Andrew.
Trev_H
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got the same problem here. TTT (TomTom Traffic) connects twice and then I get the check internet connection.
Whilst stuck in traffic yesterday I played around with BT, Ipaq 2210 & TTT, Nokia 6820, I found that after the error message appears, turn off BT on the phone which also closes the GPRS connection the IPAQ will also realise the internet connection has dropped. Enable BT on the phone, manually get TTT to connect as it does on startup then it does work again.

However - It only worked once but at least no reboots.

By the way, Did a trip from Colchester to Fleet return and no BT receiver drop outs. The beta BT fix is still working ok for me.

Trev
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw my 2p in.
I'm using TT3 with Traffic, Nokia 6600, 02 mobile web and everything seems fine. Just done a test updating every minute, has just updated for the 11th time without a problem.

Dr V Thumbs Up
DrVenkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAARRRGGGHHHH !

Failed on the 12th attempt. "Cannot connect to TomTom traffic, check your internet connection"

Dr V Thumbs Up
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom got back to me requesting further info which is good.

I've also pointed them at this thread as evidence that it's slightly more widespread than a single case. So if there are any lurkers experiencing this problem please post a "me too" so we can get a feel for how many users are affected.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: