Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 70 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 70 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
YES - at least POI-Warner; is that what you had in mind?

POI Warner????
Not too sure what you mean on this

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said 3rd party software - I didn't know which programs you had in mind, and POI-Warner is the only one I have loaded. Navigon don't prohibit 3rd party software like TomTom does on its newest units at the moment, but I couldn't say what other programs are designed to run on Navigon.

Or did you mean 3rd party POIs (such as PGPSW cameras, Caravan Club, etc)? The answer there is a definite YES, but only up to 10,000 at present.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes David i did mean did you mean 3rd party POIs - such as PGPSW cameras, thanks for your help

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest whats the customer support like from Navigon?
Can you phone them like you can with TT or is it e-mail support?

Cheers

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith (is that YOU on packetnavigating.de forum?) - Mostly it's by email, but you CAN contact them by phone. They are of course mainly German staff - I've spoken to them once and that person was quite helpful and their english was very good, but someone has commented that they found THEIR contact very difficult to understand. You can find the number through the Customer Support tab on their website. The number is an 0871 one but there is a "SayNO to0870" alternative.

Email support (you will find link on the same webpage) is a strange mixture in my experience. You can either use the webpage link or go to Navigon's Facebook page and post direct to their Facebook team there. The difference seems to be that the first team is an external 1st level support organisation which should only be dealt with with bargepoles (as Manuel says, "they know NAATHIIING"). The Facebook link however gets your problem through to Navigon's own 2nd level support team - the only way to do it in my opinion, as they are usually quite knowledgeable and very good, though still response times can be a bit patchy.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David for your help. I'm just getting so peed off with TT that I thought I'd see what else was on the Market and what other companies have to offer

Thanks again

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there does seem to be a fundamental difference in philosophy at the moment between TT and the other main suppliers. TT seem set on deliberately 'dumbing down' their products from what I read here, whereas Navigon tend to be very innovative - mind you, sometimes frustratingly so when you buy the 'latest' device, only to find an announcement immediately afterwards of the introduction of yet another 'New Range'. But then they are very good on issuing upgrades to previous models to give them the latest facilities, rather than constantly making your purchases obsolescent. Garmin seem to me at least, to lie between in this respect.

This however is a bit of an Achilles Heel at the moment - there seem to be quite a lot of glitches with the current models, and the upgrades often seem to go pear-shaped, as if they are overstretching themselves at times. This is really why I didn't respond to your original request for recommendations - I've having a couple of problems with my 70 Live (currently being replaced with a new one), though nothing like vOn has been suffering, but over the last few years I have found Navigon products to be of a high standard generally, and they DO respond to suggestions for improvements and to product problems, though not always as quick as one would like.

So my jury is out just for the moment!
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk - Please could you give me details of why you sent your Navigon back?

I have also sent mine back due to problems with trying to update to 7.7.5. Oh how I wish I hadn't started that.... I was on 7.7.1 which by the post here seem to be the most stable of all the releases. I now wish I left it as it was.

As for the support guys. I have only dealt with them on the phone. They have been very polite and seem very good. I have sent my unit back to EZI and I must say my experiencies have not been so good. As my unit was returned with the same issue it went in with. On the report they obviously just tried reloading the software without testing it afterward. Therefore I have had to send this back for a second time.

Big Perk - can you let me know how I can get this looked at by the internal support teams instead because I have just sent it back to EZI again.

TIA

Lads
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lads2000. I sent the unit back for two reasons:

1) whenever I plan a route with 'Car - Fastest' profile, I only ever get 2 MyRoute suggestions. No one else I've asked has had this problem;

2) Voice Assistant is very temperamental during a route. When I activate it during a simulation (I haven't been able to try it out on the road yet) more often than not it just won't respond to voice input, the icon usually appears but usually goes off again without responding at all, sometimes before I've had a chance to give any command. vOn HAS been writing about this problem as I'm sure you've seen.

Well, at least Navigon sent me a new 70 second time around. But even that hasn't solved either of the faults. Not that I'm too fussed about (1) but why I get it on two units when no one else has the problem at all is defeating me at the moment. (2) is much more important, and seems to be a genuine software fault they are not owning up to yet - I don't see how I can use it while driving if it won't respond! I don't know if anyone apart from vOn has tried it - have you?

You are absolutely right about EZI - that's EXACTLY what they did to me first time around and no testing. I see someone else has said the same on Navigon's Facebook page (unless that was you too!).

The way I ended up with the internal service people was by complaining on Facebook about the first lot and sending an email to them with the details. They passed it on internally and I got a response pretty quickly. Even though my problems haven't been sorted yet, I really can't fault the support guy (Un-Hee Lee) who has really tried hard to organise things and help (including speaking to someone in the Service team to make sure they knew I was coming!). I guess you have to go through 'the normal channels' on their website first just to get a reference to quote second time around - though that's where their '1st level' (0th level I'd say) support hide out, another external company I believe. And they are just as effective on support as EZI is on service Joker Joker

What I won't be doing for the moment are system updates - loads of people have had disastrous results. As a matter of interest, did you connect the unit to the PC to do the update, or just the card in a card reader?

Hope that isn't too confusing!
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigPerk

You can rest assured you are not the only person experiencing the 2 my routes problem. I had it to on the unit is sent back. I just assumed it was because I mainly travel on Motorways therefore there were only two optimal routes the system could come up with. Did you change yours to fastes route? I know I did and I'm now wondering if this is the case as it is pre set as Optimal route if I remember rightly. It seems wierd you are experiencing this on two units plus mine.

I didn't try the voice assistant as most of my routes are to postcodes and i tend not to have to change much once it is set. Therefore I tend to set the route mannually and leave it at that.

Once I get a working system back I shall test it and let you know but I do suppect it will be the same.

Quote:
You are absolutely right about EZI - that's EXACTLY what they did to me first time around and no testing. I see someone else has said the same on Navigon's Facebook page (unless that was you too!).

I think this is my post I saw your earlier post here and decided to try my luck with them. To be fair I agree they have been great on the phone and on facebook so far...I wait to see

Quote:
What I won't be doing for the moment are system updates - loads of people have had disastrous results. As a matter of interest, did you connect the unit to the PC to do the update, or just the card in a card reader?

Yes via the PC in fresh and although the unit starts and is working as expected first off it then stops and becomes un responsive when you get the do not operate the unit whilst driving message. I cannot click through this message with either option. after about a minute the unit then resets and it all starts again.

This is why I have sent mine back.

Lads
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lads,

When you said
Quote:
Yes via the PC in fresh
did you mean the unit+card was connected or just the card+card reader? I was interested because I think (never sure with "Google German"!) that on the pocketnavigation forum someone was saying that the download screwed up if the whole unit wasn't connected, because it assumes the whole unit is there and splits files across the unit memory and the microSD card.

I only noticed yesterday that Fresh has added another Restore option - "Restore Device". I'm sure it wasn't there a month or so ago - maybe a response to the current issues?

Interested you have had the same "2 Routes" issue. Each time they sent a unit back I got excited ( Rolling Eyes ), until I checked and, as you say, found the it was on the default 'optimum', where you DO get 3 (and with 'shortest' as well)[/i]
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BigPerk

Sorry to clarify yes I updated with the card in the main unit (PND+card), but it still managed to screw my system up.

I have used the restore option in Fresh unfortunatly this didn'g help my unit get back to normal. and to add insult to injury I have just had a message from Navigon telling me to go through these steps from the email I have sent them about having to send the unit back a second time.

The my routes problem sound like a software fault then. sound like you have tested it. So to clarify that when the unit is in fastest route the unit only displays 2 routes but when set to either optimum or shortest it displays 3 routes? Maybe vOn or somebody could also test this?

lads
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I always had 3 options, but will test it and take screen shots on my way home tonight.

EDIT:

As promised, screenshots below, interestingly - orange route is the same in all four cases.
Scenic route:

Short route:

Optimum route:

Fast route:

So, yes, in fast mode, at least in current software revision I get only two choices. Btw, it doesn't take long to discover both options are crazy optimistic and downright delusional. Screenshot below indicates the two fastests ways through London is either 42 mile per hour (!) ambulance run across west end or crazy trip in opposite direction, onto north circular, down to A13, down to M25 and through Dartford Bridge

This explains however, why the arrival times are so imprecise - it looks like the unit calculates maximum speed allowed on given roads and not the real life average (which it should have, since we are all sending those little bits of data over GPRS all the time)
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks v0n that at least makes it clear that their is indeed a problem then the unit is set to fastest, that it will only ever show two routes. I feel another post on the facbook site. Navigon IMHO are not showing themselves in a good light at the moment. What with these issues with the software/hardware and a number of people having to send there units back multiple times..

Lads
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And I've mentioned that there are now 4 units with this problem to my trusty support guy (surprised he's still talking to me after he got my reply to "is everything ok now you have a new unit?" Rolling Eyes Laughing ). He says
Quote:
"I am sorry to hear this from you. I will definitely forward your email to our product management again"
He's back in the office the week after next, when I hope I've checked out the Voice Assistant in more detail - if any of you come up with any more 'evidence' on this aspect please post here, if you have a mo, so that I can twist his arm a bit more!

And I have posted a link to this thread on Navigon's Facebook page, specifically mentioning vOn's post, which they say they are also passing to their product management team.

Surely the product management team must be beginning to get the message! Crying

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: