Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 4310 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 4310 questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4310 questions Reply with quote

Hi all.

I am interested in buying the Navigon 4310 Max Plus sat nav and I have some questions.

I was initally going to buy the Garmin 1340T which as far as I can tell has very similar features.
The things that I liked about the Garmin was the "Where am I?" feature which basically gave you your exact location and easily gave you the option to route to the nearest hospital, police station or fuel station.
Does the Navigon have a similar feature to that? Is it able to locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, fuel stations, etc?

What is the traffic warning like on this sat nav? I've seen a few reviewers say that it's not very good and they've got stuck in traffic.
Does it depend more on the traffic updates the unit gets, or is it the unit itself that isn't very effective?

How much are map updates after the 2 years of free maps and are they accurate?

Can I use the speed camera database from this website on the unit?

I think that's all the questions for now, thanks in advance.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

Most sat navs can locate the nearest this that and the other - I guess the feature they talk about is a simple one press system from the main menu, rather than having to go into your POIs. Either system will achieve similar results

Its the detail of the TMC traffic and it's coverage at fault. Your Garmin isn't going to be any better than the Navigon. And we all get stuck in traffic sometime. For best results use either the newest models with Live data services either the 1690 from Garmin for 6350 Live from Navigon. Although the best routing is probably the TomTom with IQ Routes which (tries) to predict congestion through historical data and with its HD Traffic Live services current situations. All require subscription

With Garmin you pay £99 for lifetime (of unit), with the Navigon you get free 2 years of updates (both are 4 times per year... up to) and the Navigon is £80 - although when this actually comes around, it is likely to be much less! Mapping data is the same - Navteq

Garmins can take the PGPS camera data very well, the Navigon can if you purchase a utility add-on called POIWarner

Overall if Live Traffic isn't important, the Garmin is the quickest to use with best cradle, the Navigon has (in my opinion) better routing, clearer mapping and more options (including MyRoutes). They also update their software with optional add-on features which is a great service

If you want live traffic, perhaps the new TomTom 1000 will tempt you with 1 years inclusive travel, and a complete (much needed) new interface and improved routing (to be confirmed!)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Live services tempt you then with Navigon certainly, they come at present via a separate module which plugs-in to the satnav unit - don't know if this is different to the other manufacturers. You may be interested that Navigon are in the early stages of releasing a new range of units (this month and over the summer) which MAY (not positive yet) have the Live services integrated into the satnav unit itself.
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering my questions. I've think you've convinced me to get the Navigon.

The TMC traffic isn't essential and I could live without it, but it would be useful when going on longer journeys. I can't afford any of the new models with Live services but are you saying that I could buy a Navigon Live module and plug it into the 4310 if I wanted it in the future?

How much is the POIWarner and is it easy to install?
Do you think it's worth paying for to use the PGPS camera data on the Navigon?

Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first sat nav unit and I'll need to order it very soon.
Thanks again for answering my questions.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to use the Live module with the 4310; it only works with the 6310 & 8410.

POIWarner costs €19.90 from navigating.de @
Quote:
http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=3

It works quite well but is a bit quirky (if you do get it be prepared to have to ask a couple of questions here, unless you're lucky!). Most people (including me) reckon the PGPSW camera database is far better than any of the alternatives, but it's going to set you back £19.99 (unless you've already paid of course!), plus the ~£16 for POIWarner (whereas just the £19.99 on Garmin) so possibly quite a lot?

(If you did buy POIWarner you could alternatively use their free fixed camera database, but it's as at 1/1/09 so quite old, and I don't know how good it is - not an option I would really recommend.)

The other thing I think worth mentioning is that (I THINK - can a Garmonite confirm?) Garmin will show the cameras directly on your map, whereas POIWarner has a separate small display at the left of the screen when you are approaching a specific camera.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
You won't be able to use the Live module with the 4310; it only works with the 6310 & 8410.

POIWarner costs €19.90 from navigating.de @
Quote:
http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=3

It works quite well but is a bit quirky (if you do get it be prepared to have to ask a couple of questions here, unless you're lucky!). Most people (including me) reckon the PGPSW camera database is far better than any of the alternatives, but it's going to set you back £19.99 (unless you've already paid of course!), plus the ~£16 for POIWarner (whereas just the £19.99 on Garmin) so possibly quite a lot?

(If you did buy POIWarner you could alternatively use their free fixed camera database, but it's as at 1/1/09 so quite old, and I don't know how good it is - not an option I would really recommend.)

The other thing I think worth mentioning is that (I THINK - can a Garmonite confirm?) Garmin will show the cameras directly on your map, whereas POIWarner has a separate small display at the left of the screen when you are approaching a specific camera.

The 4310 can be upgraded to the 6310 at additional software download cost. So you could always upgrade to extra software features in the future.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Yes POIWarner is a difficult one, personally I never got to like it

The built-in Navigon speed cameras are great and pretty up to date - but FIXED only, so I guess how important it is to you. I've read here that Navigon will be offering some kind of POI importer soon, so maybe its worth stilling with the built in database then when (if) it becomes available subscribe to PGPSW database for most accurate data, and of course the mobile data. You don't have to do it day one

Same with the 6310 upgrade to the 4310 - if you want these features later, Navigon offer an upgrade path via software, which I think is superb for those who bought the model, but then 6 months later are using it more than they thought and wish to get the next models up features (like 3D Panorama)

Overall value of money you probably won't go wrong with the 4310 or 4350 - or the new Navman 575 which is around £120 from Staples with UK and Ireland, IQ Routes and LearnMe routing (learns your driving style / routing preferences over time)
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Navigon had now added mobiles to their database but I may well be confused Cool - happens easily these days.

Although the 4310 can be software-upgraded to the 6310 jonandmarkuk, has it got the hardware for the Live module (eg connection)?

As xtraseller says, POI import is coming with the new range of units, and also with a new release of software (but how that will affect existing units, I don't know yet).

From what xtraseller says, if navman meets your needs, it's going to take some beating at that price, I would have thought.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

Your best bet will probably be wait until the 21st June when Navigon release their new 40 Series - they start at £139

http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/shop/navigationsgeraete/produkt.html?produktFamilieId=13660420&produktId=13740839

It includes FreshMaps Discount (you pay 20 Euro for 2 years / 8 map updates)

Also included is their new Active Lane Guidance which looks superb (and just what I need!)

Also it comes with the POI loaded - so you could import the Pocket GPS World database without spending more or negotiating POIWarner

Don't know if Mobiles are included on the latest mapping - haven't noticed any on mine

Let us know what you choose and how you get on...
GSDog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone.

I decided to get the Navigon 4310 Max after I managed to get it for just £119 on special offer with the 2 years of free maps.
It has pretty much everything I needed from a sat nav and I liked the idea of being able to upgrade the software, etc.

I only got it today so I haven't had long to play with it but I am very impressed so far.

I have some questions though.
What is the difference between the TMC that came with my 4310 Max, and the Navigon "Premium" TMC which is available on the Navigon website for £40? Is it the same thing?

Any news on the POI importer/POI loaded yet? Is it available to download onto my 4310?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread gives a feel for people's views on TMC versus Premium TMC:

Quote:
"Premium TMC" on Navigon?
You might also like to see this from Navigon's Q&A section:
Quote:
TMC is available as FreeTMC (in Germany: the TMC service of the state broadcasting corporations) and as PayTMC (in Germany: TMCpro).

The availability of these services differs from country to country.

NAVIGON products which are suitable for TMC reception support FreeTMC wherever it is available.

The use of PayTMC is either already included in the purchase price of the NAVIGON product or the service can be subscribed to. For more information refer to the description of the product in question.

The POI Importer is available on the new 20/40/70 series - it's a new version of MobileNavigator, so the question will be, I suppose, whether it will also be offered as an upgrade on the older models. But no info on this yet.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSDog wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone.

I decided to get the Navigon 4310 Max after I managed to get it for just £119 on special offer with the 2 years of free maps.
It has pretty much everything I needed from a sat nav and I liked the idea of being able to upgrade the software, etc.

I only got it today so I haven't had long to play with it but I am very impressed so far.

I have some questions though.
What is the difference between the TMC that came with my 4310 Max, and the Navigon "Premium" TMC which is available on the Navigon website for £40? Is it the same thing?

Any news on the POI importer/POI loaded yet? Is it available to download onto my 4310?

If you purchased it from Halfords you may find that Premium TMC is part of the pack. I know Navigon did some special deal with Halfords and the units are different on what's included.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4310 Reply with quote

[I bought the Navigon 40 Easy from Halfords priced the same as the Navigon 4310 and it comes with Premium TMC for free.][/quote][/u][/i]
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Speedcams Reply with quote

Having gone through different forums discussing Navigon 40 series devices, I am still unsure about whether the PGPSW camera database will work on Navigon devices.

Some subscribers have said that the camera database would work using POI Warner.

See below

Quote:

xtraseller PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 am Post subject: Navigon
Most sat navs ......
Garmins can take the PGPS camera data very well, the Navigon can if you purchase a utility add-on called POIWarner

xtraseller PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:28 am Post subject: Navigon
Your best bet will probably be wait until the 21st June when Navigon release their new 40 Series - they start at £139

Also it comes with the POI loaded - so you could import the Pocket GPS World database without spending more or negotiating POIWarner

Has any Navigon user loaded the PGPSW database with or without POI Warner and has it worked.

Abi
Navigon 40 Easy, Navman S50 3D & S30 3D, Myguide 3100
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded PGPSW on my current 8310, with the help of POIWarner (as have quite a number of others). I'm pretty sure from his recent posts that jonandmarkuk has confirmed that PGPSW files are ok on the new range. And in addition, a new version (V4) of POIWarner will also be released by navigating.de for the new range as well later in the year.

So I think it can be taken that PGPSW WILL work on Navigon!! Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: