Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem connecting to PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem connecting to PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Problem connecting to PC Reply with quote

My Garmin 1490T has been working fine in all respects up till now, but this evening when I tried to connect it to my PC, I got this message on my computer screen, "Microsoft Windows - You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format it? Choices presented: Format Disk or Cancel

I have tried several times and also rebooted my computer but I still get the same message. The sat nav itself is working fine and it will connect to my office PC normally. My home PC is running Windows Vista Home Premium. Has anyone come across this before?
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to find some information about this tonight, but no success yet. I shall try connecting the sat nav to my office PC again tomorrow and report back as to whether this has been successful or not. That way, it should categorically show whether the problem lies with my sat nav or my home PC.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still connects OK at work, so it must be something to do with my home PC setup. My PC manufacturer has suggested I try connecting direct to my PC, rather than via a USB hub as at present, however, if that solves the problem it will still be a puzzle because it worked perfectly OK connected in that way until yesterday evening.
CJ57
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the message you are getting, but I've recently swapped my Garminh i3 for a Nuvi 1310 and have found that I often have problems doing updates when plugged into the USB port on my screen. Decided to try connecting direct to my PC and had no problems the last few times (including this morning).
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sat nav worked when I connected it direct to my PC, although it gave me a message that there may be a problem with some files and it gave me the option to fix the problem (which I allowed it to do). After this, the sat nav would once again connect via my USB hub. The problem therefore appears to be solved.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke too soon - the problem has returned big time.

After having the previously reported intermittent problems connecting to my PC, I now find that it has become permanent. If I try to connect my Garmin 1490T to my PC, I get a Windows error message saying that before I can use the disc in drive G: I must format it (I haven't done so). I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Garmin USB drivers and using different USB sockets/cables but no difference. Windows Disc Management reports that the disk is "Healthy (Primary Partition)" and the file system is "Raw." I cannot access the disk to see what is on it, but the device works OK in my car and will connect to my office PC running Windows XP (at least, it will at the moment). Garmin say it is not a problem with the device but with my PC. I never had this problem with my tomtom though. I have contacted my PC manufacturer and they have advised me to remove all Garmin software and drivers off my PC and then reinstall them, but I wouldn't be able to reinstall MapSource etc as I cannot connect my Garmin device to my PC. Any ideas anyone?
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a long conversation with a Garmin support representative yesterday, but she couldn't come up with a solution. Fortunately, I found the solution myself today and it's so simple when you know how. I simply found the device in Control Panel/Device Manager, uninstalled it and then rebooted my PC. On rebooting, a popup appeared saying that device drivers were being installed. After a few seconds, the sat nav was able to reconnect to my PC. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: