Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
just use the London 16MB map on TT3 instead of the UK Ma.

Mr T,

This is consistant with the fact that I am also on an O2 Monthly contract via a Nokia 6310i and (once I had placed the Traffic Server IP address into a hosts file) I have not seen the connection problems you originally reported.

Perhaps its "sod's law" that because I am limited to using the PDA's internal memory I can only ever run a 16Mb map at any one time so the problem never showed itself here.

I am thinking of creating "backup" images of my PDA with each of the 16Mb maps onto a CF card so that I can just "restore" the map segment I need to use at any one time. I realise the routing across maps segments would be an issue with this method.

hth

Richard
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: France Reply with quote

I will be in France over the weekend and wondered if anyone has experience of the Traffic add-on over there ?

I have loaded the 80MB European map that comes with Navigator 3 and it looks OK to get from A to B, but it has little detail when you arrive at the town. I don’t need the 9CD set that covers Europe in full detail.
Are the detailed segments for France available separately ?
Preferably for download since I am traveling out on Wednesday.

The city maps CD with 200,000 towns is not part of Navigator 3 as far as I can tell.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you only get the traffic add on for each country with the specific country maps and not the major roads of Europe map.
gonepostal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to this forum and to the tom tom software i installed the traffic addon after an email from tomtom.

firstly after installing it nothing showed up then about 20mins after installing it asked me for a password which i entered and it downloaded the traffic data.

2 days later traffic dissapeared and so did all my favorites and stored locations, only for traffic to reappear 3 days later.

i spent the best part of 2hrs re entering all my favorites again only for it to happen again today.

sometimes its there sometimes it's not and only appears when it wants to i have emailed tomtom and informed them of the problem but no reply yet

this is all running on a wired tomtom3 bundle with hp jornada 928 but my m8 has the same problem on his ipaq 2210 anyone else had these problems and managed to sort them out

it stated on the tomtom site that you would lose your favorites and stored locations if you unistalled traffic not installed

Evil or Very Mad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms reported are of corrupt settings files. Quite why you have this problem is sometimes unclear; sometimes the files do corrupt, and replacing them with fresh files can help tremendously.

Before going any further, I should explain that many people, including myself, regard the favourites as a bad idea - to a large extent, that functionality was superseded when Navigator 1 version 1.40 got the POI functionality we now enjoy. The only favourite worth setting is the Home favourite, so that you have Navigate to Home functionality and similar.

For your other frequently visted points, make a Point of Interest category for them - this file is stored in your map folder, can be manipulated with tools like POIEdit, can be backed up separately and is generally more robust and flexible.

The favourites would be fine if they weren't so vulnerable - but being in the main settings file, they're awfully vulnerable. They also appear only in the map you've selected - so if you have a small map in main memory and a larger map on a storage card, you need to set up the favourites in both maps, rather than copying the POI file between the two map folders.

Once you've selected all your favourites and created a point in a POI file, I recommend you go into \My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings and delete all the files there (there's a global settings file, and one for each map you've used). When you restart Navigator, they'll be replaced with fresh copies. You will need to set up Navigator as you like it again - once you've done this, hopefully the problem will disappear.

For further protection, you could make a backup copy of those files once you've set up your settings again - so that if they corrupt again you can replace them with a fresh copy that contains your settings.

David
djohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Traffic Reply with quote

To add to the record:-

I used Tom Tom traffic on the 12th June 04 to navigate a route from Chichester to Portsmouth knowing full well that the A27 (which I believe is about 10-15 miles long with no exits) had been closed for 2 hours. Traffic reported no incidents.

I've contacted Tom Tom to log the problem.

Since this is a free Trial period, I can only assume that Tom Tom must be taking the opportunity to see how things go. I doubt very much that Tom Tom would allow this many problems to go without being fixed, and then try to charge for the service. It's pretty much a fact that people will not pay for such a service if it doesn't work.

I look forward to some sort of update on this in a few months because Tom Tom traffic looks pretty good. It would be a shame if it doesn't shape up.
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI all

I have been on holiday so I have not been able to keep up with this.
Traffic failed after every 2 connections during the trip so I just ignored it.

Since my return I have just installed the 16MB London Map as suggested in this thread.

This seems to be much better. Traffic connects fine and will keep connecting for about 1 hour updating every 5 minutes. So it wil get me to and from work.

Could this problem be with lack of memory available to TOMTOM / TRAFFIC when the larger maps are instaled rather than a TOMTOM problem ?

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since installing Traffic (I have given up using it) I no longer have the 3 line time of arrival/journey time in the display. It is still enabled in the menu, but refuses to appear, has anyone else had this problem ?

I also cant find a way of getting speed displayed in Kph (for use in france), I have tried unticking "miles" in the setup, but it still displays miles. Any ideas ?

Can the left hand vertical progress bar that is part of Traffic be turned off, or do I have to un-install Traffic to do this ?

I read the thread about the Jolly to the Tom Tom Traffic launch party - did anyone tell them the traffic data is crap ?

On a positive note the new GPSAssist.net is brilliant !
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can switch the Route Scheme bar off on Page 2 of the menu 'Show Route Scheme', you will then see the normal view with ETA, etc. Traffic will still work and the number of incidents on route will appear in a scrolling status bar at the bottom of the screen.

To display Kilometres, cycle through the Menu and select 'Properties', switch to the 'General' tab and change 'Units' to Kilometres' yout Speed, distance to next Turn eyc will all then be in Km.

TomTom are aware of a number of issues which they are working to resolve, the quality of the data is more difficult as it's supplied by ITIS who are the UK's TMC Data Supplier. Given that there are no other sources for alternative data streams there is little they can do, TrafficMaster do not licence there data for use with 3rd party Navigation solutions.
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, all is well again.

I think that with the current data they dont have a saleable product, it will only need one magazine to do a back to back review with Trafficmaster and it will be all over.

I cant see why TM would not licence the data. The PDA user market is very different to the market for the "press one button" installed in your new car sector. I expect they get a high margin on this, but with a pretty tiny user base. On the other hand the PDA nav market is potentially very large, and margins could still be good, given there is no competition.

I have been a Psion user for years and only made the switch to a PPC to get the navigation facility, I bet many people have been drawn to a PPC for the same reason. Particularly when you find the PPC routinely hangs and is unstable, unlike the Psion OS which never ever crashed.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else had a problem with TomTom Traffic corrupting their SD cards? I've had this on 2 different HP 2210's, one with a 256MB Sandisk card and one a 128MB something-else card.
The symptoms where that the SD card gets filled with garbage (usually about 30GB worth Confused ) and then TomTom fails to do anything (load, read the maps etc).
A real pain so obviously I removed it, meaning that I'm not getting anything from my free trial...

Strangely a couple of guys at work with exactly the same setups haven't had the problem at all - only me Crying or Very sad

I've logged it with TomTom, but as we all know that goes nowhere...
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Has anyone else had a problem with TomTom Traffic corrupting their SD cards? I've had this on 2 different HP 2210's, one with a 256MB Sandisk card and one a 128MB something-else card.
The symptoms where that the SD card gets filled with garbage (usually about 30GB worth Confused ) and then TomTom fails to do anything (load, read the maps etc).
A real pain so obviously I removed it, meaning that I'm not getting anything from my free trial...

Strangely a couple of guys at work with exactly the same setups haven't had the problem at all - only me Crying or Very sad

I've logged it with TomTom, but as we all know that goes nowhere...

oh noo
i have just loaded it as i have a 2210 as well ,lest if it happens to me i will know the problem thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: