Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Traffic set up on my iPaq 5550, with TTN3 GB and with BT connection to a Sony Ericsson Z600 on Vodafone. I've successfully set up GPRS simply by putting *99# in the 'bluetooth dial-up connection' settings. If I browse to an internet site from the iPaq's browser then it establishes a GPRS connection and browses fine.

However if Traffic tries to get data then the iPaq pops up with the 'Connecting' dialog bubble, saying 'Dialing: *99#...', but fails to connect and eventually comes up with a 'Cannot connect' box. According to the phone's display it does not even get as far as pairing with the phone.

FWIW, if the iPAQ is connected to the internet via the docking station or a wireless LAN then Traffic gets its data fine. Traffic also works fine if I connect to GPRS manually first.

Anyone seen something similar?
Paul
SRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to set the APN name on your phone to "internet" (all lowercase) its probably set to Vodafone GPRS, then edit the iPaq connection settings to dial *99***1# and in the "Advanced" section add the following script in the box for dial-string commands +CGDCONT=1, "ip", "internet"

This worked for me after experiencing the same sort of problems.
Hope it helps.
Steve
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRW wrote:
You might need to set ...

This worked for me after experiencing the same sort of problems.
Hope it helps.
Steve

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference.
When Traffic tries to establish the GPRS connection it just doesn't seem to try very hard - the iPAQ doesn't even pair with the phone, so I guess it doesn't even get as far as using the dial settings.
On the other hand if I set up the GPRS connection first by manually initiating the 'dial' on the iPAQ, then it connects and when I start TTN3 it is quite happy to use the connection to get the data.

Paul
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the ipaq 4150 working with my T39 via BT eventually.
It is not reliable, sometimes TT with connect to gprs and get the traffic data without any problem, other times it will establish a link (T39 displays <>) but not connect. If I manually force a connection by using the browser it will then use it.

Does anyone know the source of the traffic data ?
I assumed it would be trafficmaster, but I have a trafficmaster YQ and comparing the two displays there are lots of differences. I trust the YQ, it is always accurate. Has anyone actually confirmed the TT data is correct in real holdups ?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tonight - just like last Friday...... Tomtom missed a 6 mile holdup on the A14/M11 - trafficmaster unit was saying AVOID tomtom didn't even register it.

I followed the advice of trafficmaster and radio 5 and missed the holdups - I really can't see me subscribing to traffic after the free trial...

At 5.50pm the traffic map wasn't showing a single holdup in East Anglia - this maybe mostly true but on a bank holiday weekend Friday I very much doubt it.

So for me it's now trafficmaster 2 - tomtom traffic 0

Ian
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post I had the YQ and PDA on side by side (with the pda on my network rather than via the phone) A Friday before a Bank Holiday is a good time to be looking at the holdups rather than sitting in one.

The pda was missing lots of holdups repored by the YQ. Also some of the warnings on the pda, contraflow's in particular are overstated, almost as if they are not using real time data at all.

If a magazine does a back to back review like this I expect the traffic add-on will be cruicified. This would be a great shame because the integration with the routeplanner is impressive. I was hoping to be able to dump the YQ and just have one gadget to look at in the car.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostagain wrote:
Does anyone know the source of the traffic data ?
I assumed it would be trafficmaster, but I have a trafficmaster YQ and comparing the two displays there are lots of differences. I trust the YQ, it is always accurate. Has anyone actually confirmed the TT data is correct in real holdups ?

Sadly it's not Trafficmaster data - it appears to be using ITIS data. More information is in my post here.

David
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostagain wrote:
The pda was missing lots of holdups repored by the YQ. Also some of the warnings on the pda, contraflow's in particular are overstated, almost as if they are not using real time data at all.

Here's a good example of the contraflow problem from this weekend. There has been a contraflow on the A30 between Exeter and Whiddon Down recently for resurfacing works. However the contraflow was effectively removed over the bank holiday weekend (lane division posts kept in place but two lanes of traffic in both directions). As a result, on Saturday morning the traffic was flowing through smoothly in both directions. However Traffic on the TomTom was reporting 'Contraflow' (not quite true) with red arrows (slow traffic) all the way from Exeter to Whiddon Down (definitely not true) and reporting a delay of 117 minutes (extremely untrue). I also noticed on Sunday morning that it was reporting the same, including 117 minutes delay, and would guess this was just as untrue.

This cannot be dismissed as slightly inaccurate, nor excused as being an hour or so behind reality. It was just completely wrong and misleading. A bank holiday weekend is exactly when you need this sort of info - has the contraflow been removed for the weekend, and is it causing any delays, and should I take another route into the West Country?

If I see any more innacuraices like that I certainly won't be subscribing.

Paul
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if the die is already cast.

I was on the A27 in the Worthing area. TT had delays when there were none, my Trafficmaster YQ had real delays that TT did not report.

Even for free it is not worth using with such useless data.

The shame is that TT will probably roll this out and then suffer lasting damage. Reputation is hard to win easy to lose !

Have a look at this:
Traffic-i, provides real-time Trafficmaster road information to smartphone users.

http://www.filesaveas.com/traffici.html

Since this is already using GPRS delivery it must be possible as a plug-in for the PDA.
bimikedorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: M25 Contraflow M3/M4 Reply with quote

lostagain wrote:
It looks as if the die is already cast.

I was on the A27 in the Worthing area. TT had delays when there were none, my Trafficmaster YQ had real delays that TT did not report.

Even for free it is not worth using with such useless data.

The shame is that TT will probably roll this out and then suffer lasting damage. Reputation is hard to win easy to lose !

Have a look at this:
Traffic-i, provides real-time Trafficmaster road information to smartphone users.

http://www.filesaveas.com/traffici.html

Since this is already using GPRS delivery it must be possible as a plug-in for the PDA.

I found the same tonight on M25 Bank Holiday Monday TTT reporting contraflow near M3/M4 Trafficmaster reporting no problems. TTT said slow moving traffic. There was no problems on M25. 'suprise surprise' I will be renewing my trafficmaster subscription at least it reports were the problems are.

Come on TOMTOM get your act together traffic plugin is not worth buying if this weekend is to go on!!! Crying or Very sad Sad
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it for a week or so now, and find it misses most of the bad traffic jams around my area. I also find the massively increased time for tomtom to initially load unacceptable so I have uninstalled it and gone back to the original 3.01 version which I am happier with.

I may give it another go if it improves, until then I'm more than happy just setting off earlier for work and missing the local jams :D
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: M25 Contraflow M3/M4 Reply with quote

[quote="bimikedorset"][quote="lostagain"]
Quote:

I found the same tonight on M25 Bank Holiday Monday TTT reporting contraflow near M3/M4 Trafficmaster reporting no problems. TTT said slow moving traffic. There was no problems on M25. 'suprise surprise' I will be renewing my trafficmaster subscription at least it reports were the problems are.

It may be that TrafficMaster only reports slow moving traffic as less than less than 30mph whilst TT Traffic reports 40mph traffic through the contraflow on a 70mph road as slow. I would want to know about 7 miles of 40mph traffic on a motorway. This contraflow is heavily speed camera covered so the speed does tend to stick near the limit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently TMC data as used by TomTom is the only traffic data service available to GPS navigation applications with the exception of TrafficMaster who naturally have it on their navigation system but specifically will not licence it for use on others.

The Traffic-I service for Smartphones and PocketPC Phones is dire at best, unlike the full TrafficMaster YQ etc you simply get a set of coloured icons, no detailed information as to cause, speed etc and having tested the MS SMartphone version I have to say I no longer use it. A very poor implementation but again I suspect licence limitations may be behind the strangled data here.

I have been a long term YQ user and depsite it's shortcomings it was generally accurate albeit before the advent of GPS all it served to do was alert me in advance that I was about to enter a queue! TrafficMaster's Navigation system is no replacement for a good GPS system, fine for fleet users and other commercial customers etc but I think they are missing an opportunity to sell their data to customers such as TomTom and others here as clearly the iTIS TMC data collection system is not accurate enough to be of any real use.

I mention all this to explain that in the absence of any other traffic data service being available we should at least commend TomTom for trying to add what could be a must have feature if only the data was more accurate and reliable.
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. Traffic-i lack of detail.
If you look at:
http://www.traffic-i.com/main/main_page.asp
It shows the speed icons in the same way as the YQ.

Do we have anyone with first hand experience of this who can comment ?

The idea is to divert miles before the que not join the back of it !
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find traffic-i very similar to the YQ with the addition of colour. Traffic-I addition to the traffic speed can show the predicted delay at an incident which the YQ does not. The YQ sometimes has a further information page when there is some major incident on the screen you are showing.

Personally I prefer the traffic-i screen to my YQ screen. It cost £40pa +GPRS as compared to £110pa (no GPRS) for the YQ. However it is a pain to try and switch between Traffic-I and TomTom on a regular basis whilst driving.

Traffic-I is designed for mobile phones and XDA2s running Windows Mobile 2003, the XDA-2 version will run on an IPAQ with GPRS with a few very minor bugs (the default of time delay needs to be selected every time).

Future releases may have problems as it is supposed to lock the licence to the IMEA of the mobile host and an iPAQ does not have an IMEA, but it does not prevent it from running or having a valid licence.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: