Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Released
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic Released Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 3 customers can now sign up to a free 3 month trial subscription to the TomTom Traffic service and download the Traffic Plug-In for TomTom Navigator 3. This special offer is in place until the 1st of September, after that customers can subscribe to unlimited access to TomTom Traffic for EUR9.95 a month or EUR49 a year. At this moment traffic information is available from the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and France.

You can find traffic in the navigation product on TomTom's Website at http://www.tomtom.com
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have signed up, and have downloaded, installed the update with no problems at all.

I have been able to monitor the traffic getting updates with the ipaq in its cradle accessing the internet via the pc.

In addition I can download via my wifi connection and also GPRS via vodafone GPRS, using a nokia 6600.

This is an excellent addon and is well worth downloading. Just in time for the bank holiday weekend too!
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have downloaded the update.
First I downloaded the ttntraf.exe from the site. This failed to install!
I t kept trying to update my MSM Messenger to version 6.1 eaven though I am already at this version.
I then downloaded the ttntraf.zip. Once I had unzipped this the setup ran and it is now installed and running. I am also able to pickup traffic information using me PC connection to the NET and also using GPRS O2 with Nokia 6600.
This looks a great product can't wait till I leve work tonight to give it a real test.
Mr. Green
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that after making the GPRS connection to retrive the latest traffic information half an hour ago that the GPRS connection on my Nokia 6600 is still connected. The last updated information in TomTom traffic says that the last update was 35 minutes. If I end the GPRS connection I get a status message that it can't contact TomTom Traffic Confused
I have the traffic settings set to not autoupdate.

Should't the software only need a connection to download the latest information and then disconnect ?

I dont think the prodlem is with my connection settings as pocket ie drops the connection when it is closed.

As Traffic says that it has not updated for over 40 minutes I assume that on data is being transfered so I don't understand why it keeps the connection open.

Has anybody else noticed this.

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: GPRS Reply with quote

Mine keeps the GPRS connection open, but with no data transfer after closing the TOMTOM application.

The quickest way of disconnecting I have found is to power of the Ipaq and restart it. This can be done without a soft reset.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow how did I live without this!!?

Just got it working with my iPAQ 2210 and SPV E200 Smartphone, it's going to come in really useful!

Only problem is now I've worked out how to get mobile internet on my iPAQ, my mobile phone bills are going to rise
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got the maps of Europe set - am I restricted to the GB traffic info or can I get french and german info as well?

There is no obvious way to subscribe to 2 countries at once - although all the time I have driven in France the only traffic problems I have encountered are in Paris and at the start and end of August (everywhere).

Ian

ps I have had traffic running since tomtom cocked up and released it in error. Last night I unistalled it and today I suffered more bt dropouts than I have seen in the past 2 weeks - not as bad as some but definatelt worse than it was - perhaps this update actually does a little more than just introduce traffic? Hopefully now I've installed the correct version it should return to its previous happy state.
mcwill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sign up for the France traffic as well if you enter the Product Code from your Euro Map Set CD package.

I've already set it up for our trip this weekend.

Happy
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a File -> About shows a TomTom Navigator version 3.02T build 422, so maybe there are a few extra tweaks built in.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwill wrote:
You can sign up for the France traffic as well if you enter the Product Code from your Euro Map Set CD package.

I've already set it up for our trip this weekend.

Happy

excellent - could you post some results of how it went when you get back?
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Carl wrote:
Just noticed that after making the GPRS connection to retrive the latest traffic information half an hour ago that the GPRS connection on my Nokia 6600 is still connected. The last updated information in TomTom traffic says that the last update was 35 minutes. If I end the GPRS connection I get a status message that it can't contact TomTom Traffic Confused
I have the traffic settings set to not autoupdate.

Should't the software only need a connection to download the latest information and then disconnect ?

I dont think the prodlem is with my connection settings as pocket ie drops the connection when it is closed.

As Traffic says that it has not updated for over 40 minutes I assume that on data is being transfered so I don't understand why it keeps the connection open.

Has anybody else noticed this.

The 6600 does this anyway.. no way around it, even without the Ipaq talking to it. If you had the updates set to update more frequently then it would not be an issue. The way I do this is to turn the phone off .
Paul Carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of using the the Traffic service in France is great.
Can you activate the traffic service for europe using the MRE maps?
If you can how do you activate this or will it just work with my current addin?

Ipaq 3870 PPC2002
Product Revision 2.0
Rom Revision 2.20.21 ENG
Emtac BT GPS Motorola V3 Silver
TomTom 5 Traffic
TomTom 3 Traffic Checkpoint v3
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost all my favourites after installing traffic. Is this normal or have i done something wrong.

Thanks

Paul
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahoo!! We finally have traffic after it was so cruelly taken away after a very small (unofficial taster). Wink

I have installed the latest version of tttraf after having the initial release and have noticed that they have changed the "Avoid traffic delays" option to "minimize traffic delays", that sounds like a fantastic improvement now that it calculates actual delay time and compares it to alternative routes. Nice Thumbs Up

On the downside, I have also experienced the gprs connection being kept open on my Sonyericsson P900 between updates. In comparison, I have a trial of livewire installed and this disconnects every time between updates, leaving the phone available to calls most of the time. Hopefully TomTom will be able to resolve this in the near future or I will have to buy another phone for gprs only.

Does anyone have any ideas for changing settings to resolve this?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter that the GPRS connection is kept open. Your phone should still accept voice calls - the data connection is just suspended whilst you are talking and then reconnects.

The problem of the setup is the bt capability of the current batch of phones - they only support one bt connection at a time thus if you wish to wear a bt headset all the time you will need to use a second handset for the traffic data. I'm using an old sony t68i with an orange PAYG sim for this reason.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: