Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One XL Live IQ Help needed please (freezing + restarting)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One XL Live IQ Help needed please (freezing + restarting)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: TT One XL Live IQ Help needed please (freezing + restarting) Reply with quote

Back in March I purchased a TT One XL Live with Western and Central European maps (42 countries).
I did all the things you are supposed like backing up the device, downloading the latest maps etc.
After a week or so the map started to freeze although the device was still working in the background. I contacted TomTom who told me to reinstall the application, which I did and all was fine.
At the end of April, the day after Quickfix update, the unit started to freeze and then restart itself. I reinstalled the application as instructed by TomTom but the fault remained. I then formatted the memeory and reinstalled everything including clear flash, is instructed by TomTom but the fault remained. The unit was returned to them, a replacement was sent back with to me UK/ROI maps.
The device would not link to my account for a week despite being on to TT support everyday so I used it with the latest version of the UK maps (845) until finally last night it linked up and I could download my Western and Central Europe maps. The device worked well with the UK maps installed. Today, however, the device is freezing and restarting again! I have contacted TT who have told me to reset the unit and install the latest quickfix but I am not convinced! It hasn't restarted yet but I will probably find out tomorrow!
Has anybody had similar issues and is it possible that v845.2645 map has an issue or was it quickfix that did it?
Also, I subscribed to the 12 months map update service with 6 months free, can anybody tell me how I can check if this has been linked to my new device? I though I check check in home but I can't find it anywhere!
Thanks in advance.
Matt.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a folder on the device called ephem - delete the contents of that and don't install QuickGPSFix - see if it makes any difference.

Also, try resetting to facttory defaults in the menu and holding down the power button until you hear a drum roll to perform a reset.

Might also be worth running the clearflash tool a couple of times.

I am not aware of any way of checking on your map subscription expiry date short of calling TT and asking them.
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I will give it a go.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickGPSFix isn't all it is cracked up to be - I haven't used it for about a year and get a satellite fix very quickly still.

If you want to disable the feature completely delete the ephem folder from the device and HOME will never offer it to you again.
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did as TT said earlier and it has since crashed so I have done the things you said. Hopefully this is it fingers crossed. It normally only crashes within 5 minutes of being switched on so it does seem likely!
Thanks again Andy, I will keep you posted.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's been doing the same for a couple of months or more now, getting worse and worse until freeze/reboot as much as seven times in one day's driving. The main problem with that is it requires me to tap "I Agree" for the stupid legal notice on reboot and I can't reach it on my deep windscreen. Earlier this week, I ran Checkdisk, Clearflash 4 or 5 times, formatted it (full, not quick), re-downloaded the application v8.419 and re-downloaded my map, UK&ROI v845.2645. (for anybody who knew, I also had previously removed the TTS hack).

It hasn't cured it - four reboots today AND then it has rebooted on me right now when I went to check app and map versions!!! This is a great disappointment to me - up until it started doing this, I was convinced that at last TT had a new device which did the business.

I suppose I'm going to have to go down the route of raising a ticket with Customer Support to get it sent away. I wonder if I can manage that with one message including all the details of what I've already done and a copy of my proof of purchase? Bets, anyone?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing quickgpsfix Dennis?

If so, try deleting the ephem folder

If not - looks like a problem.

Mine was doing some reboots last week BUT it appeared to be related when it couldn't connect to LIVE and just hung the device so the watchdog timer kicked in and the device reboots.
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I did as Andy said, and deleted the contents of the ephem folder. The TT got me from Devizes, in Wilts to Watford this morning no problem but then frozes and rebooted whenever I switched it on after stopping somewhere!
I checked the ephem folder tonight and it had files in it again! Confused I have now deleted the ephem folder and will see what happens.
Incidently, I checked the backups of my device since I purchased it and the ephem folder is not present in the backups of the device before I had freezing/restarting probelms! Also, when the replacement device arrive it had UK/ROI maps v825 which functioned properly and the v845 UK/ROI maps also functioned proberly. Neither of these map backups had the ephem folder in them either!
Fingers crossed it will be sorted!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, the ephem folder is in the root of the unit, not within the map folder itself. Is that what you meant?
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I meant, yes. I did a manual backup of the entire device when I first got it and then when I updated to the latest maps, and then everytime I had a problem. I also did the same when I recieved the replacement device. (Ihave about 20GB of backups! Shocked )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Are you installing quickgpsfix Dennis?

If so, try deleting the ephem folder

If not - looks like a problem.

Mine was doing some reboots last week BUT it appeared to be related when it couldn't connect to LIVE and just hung the device so the watchdog timer kicked in and the device reboots.

No way Quickgpsfix, Andy!! Not for at least two years now.

My reboots also seem to be Live related, but I'm not convinced of it - I'd need to be pursuaded that the Live suffers fairly regular connection failures. Trouble is, when it happens as I'm driving, I never notice until it's at the reboot splash screen - I don't notice the traffic icon change, for example. And it has been an increasingly frequent occurrence - once now and again three months ago, then last week, seven times in one day, six another day, four on a short day. Apart from the sheer terror of losing navigation guidance in London Traffic, whilst it goes through the lengthy reboot, I wouldn't really care if only I could grow my arm about three feet longer to tap the "I agree" stupid thing. Now there's a hack I'd love to see somebody produce!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XL LIVE seems to be downloading QuickGPSSFix via the LIVE services and recreating the ephem folder.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr................
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
My XL LIVE seems to be downloading QuickGPSSFix via the LIVE services and recreating the ephem folder.

Mine is doing the same! Deleted the folder last night as I said in my previous post but the ephem folder is back there again now!

Touch wood it is running ok though!
JNS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had very similar problems with my XL Live IQ. This is the question I sent to TT support, and their reply:

My XL Live IQ has become unstable after recent updates via Home. The screen will occasionally freeze, and the unit almost always hangs and reboots itself after turning on and waiting for a satellite fix. It is taking much longer than previously to get a satellite fix so the quick fix function does not appear to be working.

The device info is:

Device XXXXX XXXXX
App: 8.419 (1257/091015) OS: 344822
64MB RAM, free 18MB
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map: v845.2645

TT REPLY

Thank you for your email.

Initial indications show this to be an issue with the modem in your device causing the unit to reboot, so please do the following to Reset the modem.

STEP 1 Reset your TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes

- Reset your TomTom to factory settings via the Change Preferences Menu
- After resetting your device, you will need to set up your start-up preferences again. (Don’t do this just yet)
- Reset your TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes; by holding down the power button for 25 seconds
- Switch your device back on.
- Now go through the Setup of your device.

STEP 2 Log into your device

- When your TomTom shows your current location (Please make sure your device has a good GPS signal), tap in the middle of the screen
- Now tap on “Change Preferences”
- Scroll along to “My TomTom Account”
- Please log in using your email address and password.

STEP 3 Test the device

I've done as the support guy suggested and so far so good Smile
Saultee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch wood mine has been ok since I deleted the ephem folder, even though it has since created it's own new ephem folder!
I think my problems always were the Quickgpsfix download that caused, it's a shame that they wouldn't listen to me when I told them that the problems started after an update of quickgpsfix!
I do wonder if JNS's solution was all that was needed!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: