Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live Services Fuel Price Inaccuracies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Services Fuel Price Inaccuracies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the update I have received today from TomTom on the eight specific petrol stations that had the most extreme problems in my own Find By Distance and/or Nearest in Area lists in terms of their current abnormally low selling price or no price at all being listed.

I provided significantly more information to TomTom about the problem and the location than is indicated below but I have cut this down to the essentials of TomTom's Response to ensure that my own anonymity is protected (especially given that most of the locations were originally referenced in relation to their distance from my home postcode)

Some of TomTom's responses are pretty amazing as they maintain in their response to my Item 1 that I am not updating my Go 940 properly in order to be seeing the phantom Waitrose petrol station near my home but when I spoke to TomTom on the phone today they said that what was actually meant was that the station did not actually exist and they had only now removed it from their database immediately following my complaint. So I updated my Fuel POIs in TomTom Home just to make sure and voila the phantom Waitrose petrol station was still there with no price just as before.

In Item 2 the BP petrol station concerned was definitely closed down and replaced by houses at least five to six years ago but TomTom incredibly maintain that it only closed in mid 2009 as though I don't know what happened to a petrol station at the side of a road I drive down every few days.

In Item 4 they admit that the last price they are sending out to customers for the Sainsburys petrol station in Whitechapel Road in London is for the 30th December 2009 but they offer no apology or explanation whatsoever as to why the price is now over 100 days old or about what plans they have to reinstate the price feed. Similarly in item 7 they admit their last price for the petrol station in Westerham is 20th February 2010 but do not say why it is this old or what they plan to do about updating it.

Their responses to items 3 and 6 (the petrol stations in Bordon and Northolt) make no sense as their claim that they have up to date date prices for unleaded at these two stations simply contradicts the absurdly low selling price listed by my TomTom 940 unit that the two stations themselves have also confirmed are definitely not correct.

In item 8 (the Shell petrol station in Windsor) TomTom again try to play smart alecs with me by commenting that there is a Shell station in the vicinity for which they have up to date prices before then going on to admit that the last price for the station at 145-165 Arthur Road that I have complained about is 23rd September 2009. When I passed that station a couple of weeks ago it was fenced off and looked like it was going to be demolished and replaced by something else. So why have TomTom's petrol price data suppliers failed to comment on why their system was still supplying an old price from over six months ago to customers as though it was current when it should not have been listed at all.

In short I have gained the distinct impression that TomTom's external price supplier does not take almost any pride in what they do and is only interested in supplying obfuscatory answers rather than making sure that the faulty data is immediately corrected.Evil or Very Mad

I will be responding to TomTom with my criticisms of all the answers they have given including the fact that they have admitted a price is heavily out of date in several cases (in contradiction of their only up to 5 days old claim in the Live Services) but said nothing about why it is so out of date or what they are doing to ensure the restoration of up to date data.

For those of you who are worried about the need to provide specific GPS co-ordinates for any petrol station with a faulty price it should be noted that I supplied details of all of the above stations purely in terms of their distance from my home postcode, the price quoted and then the address details and phone number (if any) listed by TomTom for that station in the individual screen entry for the station if it is selected in the price list on the Live unit.

I will report back when I have any further follow up from TomTom to my demand that they explain why prices for several stations were not being updated and what they are going to do to address the problem.

Quote:
I have an update from our Suppliers with regards to your query.
Please find the comments included in the "Response" field.

Below is the response from our suppliers:

1. Phantom Waitrose Petrol station shown as 1.1 miles from postcode XXX XXX -

Response :
This station was deleted from our database a long time ago, as we discovered during a check it was not correct.

Please make sure that you device is Up to date

/2. Phantom Long Closed BP Petrol Station Shown as 3.4miles from my home postcode.

Response :
This Station was still open end 2008 (we still have price updates from that time). We have considered this stations closed mid 2009 after a check.

Please make sure that you device is Up to date fully up to date)

3. Vastly Out of Date 1.07 per lite for unleaded petrol price for "Miscellaneous" petrol station at Newmarket Avenue - Bangors Close, Northolt

Response :
We have difficulties to locate this station in Northollt (Newmarket avenue & Bangors close). We do not have station at this place, and after a check, there are no station at this place in Northolt.

However, we have located a station with this phone number (+44208505 6151) (location coded) where we have fresh price with regular updates.

4. Weeks Out of Date Unleaded price of 1.07 per litre at Sainsburys Petrol Station A107 Cambridge Heath Road - Whitechapel Road Mile End (London)

Response :
Sainsburys with +44 20 72472601 at London (Cambridge Heath Road - Whitechapel Road Mile End), we have identified the station with (location coded)

We have prices updated from end of 2009 (1,089 per litre on 2009-12-30 for the unleaded)

5. Many Weeks Out of Date Price for Shell Petrol Station on the B2030 Coulsdon Road, Waddington Avenue Coulsdon

Response :
We have identified station navx id 472c5e4c-674a-102b-a90a-00173176eca5. This station was updated on 2010-04-19 with an unleaded price of 1,199 per litre.

We are rebuilding the historical update data of this station from the beginning of the year to investigate. It will be ready tomorrow morning.

6. Many Weeks Out of Date Price of 1.14 For Shell Bordon Service Station, Bordon, GU35 0AW, known by TomTom as A325 - Binstead Road, Bucks Horn Oak

Response :
We have identified a Shell Station in Bordon (with the same station name Bordon Service Station, but located on High Street) : (location coded)

This station has fresh prices : 1,209 per litre for the unleaded (updated 2010-04-20)

We are rebuilding the historical update data of this station from the beginning of the year to investigate. It will be ready tomorrow morning.

7. Many Weeks Out of Date Price For Jet Station at A233 Westerham Road - Croydon Road Bromley

Response :
Around Bromley on Croydon road & Westerham Road, we have the Jet station (location coded)

This station has prices refreshed mid February 2010 : 1,129 per litre for the unleaded (updated 2010-02-12)

8. Many weeks out of date price at Shell Windsor, Arthur Road Windsor

Response:
We identified the station (location coded) at Windsor (Shell Windsor name) which is regularly updated (last price update of 2010-04-19).

We also identified the Arthur Road Service Station on 145-165 Arthur Rd at Windsor (location coded) The last price is from 2009-09-23 at 1,109 per Litre which is the displayed price.
[/u][/b]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
I will report back when I have any further follow up

PLEASE DO NOT!!!! This topic was opened by a member concerned that his fuel service wasn't working. You've hijacked it into a tirade against TomTom's prices.

I am 100% confident that I'm not the only person absolutely sick of all this verbiage from you. Please stop. If you want to run a topic of your own about the TomTom pricing issues, start one, so that we can all ignore it if we choose. Then any poor soul searching for answers as to why their fuel service isn't working won't have to plod wearily through your thousands of words of personal vendetta against TomTom.

I am on the brink of locking this thread.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I am 100% confident that I'm not the only person absolutely sick of all this verbiage from you. Please stop. If you want to run a topic of your own about the TomTom pricing issues, start one, so that we can all ignore it if we choose.

Why do you seem to eschew almost any form of detailed scientific investigation of this matter. If people just continue to say to TomTom "me fuel prices is broke mate" (the level of analysis of the topic which you seem to prefer) then TomTom will just continue to ignore them by pretending that the user has a specific database corruption issue.

I don't have a vendetta against TomTom. I just want them to deliver to the customer the service that they have so clearly and prominently advertised that they have contracted to supply. So long as they don't even prune out dead records and investigate prices that stop updating they haven't a hope in hell of doing so.

Also if we all have to run our own separate fuel price threads no one else can participate in on the subject then how can there be any useful form of debate on the matter?

Quote:
I am on the brink of locking this thread.

And just how will that help anybody who is interested in this topic and a resolution of the out of date fuel prices issue. Although It will of course help establish your position of power as a moderator that you seem so eager to convey that you enjoy in the forum.

Also I thought that the use of block capitals on the internet was always considered as shouting but I presume that you seem to think shouting at other forum members is in some way constructive and that you are for some reason exempt from the normal conventions on this matter?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 said

Quote:
Also if we all have to run our own separate fuel price threads no one else can participate in on the subject then how can there be any useful form of debate on the matter?

I find it interesting how you have a habit of taking the words of others and twisting them for your own benefit. The above is just one example.

Where did DennisN say no one else can participate in said threads? And as for 'useful form of debate', well sir, what debate might that be? In all six pages of this thread, I see nobody who thinks the Fuel Prices offered by TomTom are any good. It's just that the others stating that view don't go on ad naseum about it. So what debate are you talking about?

For what it is worth, I moderate some TomTom forums in North America. The moderators here show considerably more tolerance towards posters such as yourself. Not only would I have locked the thread long before now, I would have banned you from my forums.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Not only would I have locked the thread long before now, I would have banned you from my forums.

And on what possible basis would you have done so? My posts have been neither defamatory or libelous and nor have they been off topic. The complaint seems to be only that they are too thorough or detailed?

Why exactly is it wrong to investigate and pursue a matter thoroughly and with vigour. TomTom certainly aren't go to make any effort to put their faulty fuel price data right unless their support department starts to become inundated with hundreds of different customer complaints giving specific examples of garages with currently incorrect and/or heavily out of date fuel prices. If that happens it will be cheaper and easier for TomTom to demand that its fuel price supplier actually starts properly doing the job that it is contracted to do.

dhn wrote:
Where did DennisN say no one else can participate in said threads?

Surely when he said:-

DennisN wrote:
If you want to run a topic of your own about the TomTom pricing issues, start one, so that we can all ignore it if we choose

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: