Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - where is your sat nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

where is your sat nav?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: where is your sat nav? Reply with quote

I have a tomtom Rider satnav. On my bike it sits on the handel bars in a position not to obscure the clocks in my car I have it on a bean bag resting on the facia panel.

The reason for this question is I see a lot of drivers with the sat nav stuck in the middle of the screen just below the mirror, in fact the prompt for this post was actually following a woman this morning who had the satnav half way between the center of her steering wheel and her mirror one of the tomtom XL screen at her eye level almost in her direct line of sight Exclamation ( I was on my bike so I had a clear view into her car. It was almost like she was driving a video game, not a car.

To have one suck in you normal line of vision must be dangerous, most modern cars have far too many blind spots why make it worse. I know in the USA many states do not allow anything stuck to the windscreen within the arc of the wipers, personally I think this is a good idea.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a lot of idiots with it where you say!! ridiculous really...

i've always put mine on the bottom right of the windscreen so as i look in my mirror i can see the screen.

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the car its in the middle of the dash on the flat bit - almost flat anyway.

On the bike, it ends up where IT feels like bloody staying!!
Peeeed off with it now, it is a 'home made' suck it and see system mind.

new bike shortly, so may well invest in something more professional, especially as this is likely to be my last bike anyway.
The bones take longer to heal, the arthritis is gaining ground (like the mid rift).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week saw one mounted directly above the steering wheel too. Surprised

For my main TomTom I made a mount for the vent which puts it in a position where the top edge is just in line with the edge of the windscreen.
The added benefit is I can now reach it much easier!
Whenever I use a different one on a normal windscreen sucker, it ends up bugging me that I can't see past it.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's on a mount over the vents. You have to look down a bit to see it but much not much more than checking the dash or radio.

Isn't it illegal to have something straight ahead of you on the windscreen? I know the two chips on mine are only just out of the way enough not to have to buy a new screen.
Brodit ProClip mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, forgot, if i'm using my iphone, hero or artemis i use a brodit mount above the - same position as the (small!) diagram gerry posted!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old picture, I haven't got any of those devices now - I have GO700, XLLive and GO520 from right to left, fractionally below my line of sight - the photo was taken carefully at my eye level. My HTC Advantage is way off to the left. The phone holder is now up top right corner on a gooseneck mount projecting behind the door pillar Smile

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis!!!

You had all that AND a scratchpad???? Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Dennis!!!

You had all that AND a scratchpad???? Very Happy

Doesn't everybody have a scratchpad? Rolling Eyes Wink

Actually right now I haven't. That van is now defunct and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive and driving a loan one until it comes. The new model has a completely redesigned cabin and the windscreen is so far away I'm having to use my remote controls for the 700 and 520, take the XL Live off the screen to set it up and same with the HTC. There's nowhere in reach for the scratchpad and I'm at a loss to discover how I can set up something for single handed writing (I have a clipboard, but I also have a figure which leaves very little space for it between me and the steering wheel). I change my vans every two years, so screws and nuts and bolts, à la MikeAlder, are not a desirable option. I was looking forward to the new van because it has a fair bit of flat on the dashboard so I can put some of those sticky discs on to carry the devices closer than the screen.

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you manage.
I can't cope with one. About 2 weeks or maybe 3 now, driving up the M4 and the satnav came unstuck and fell on the floor.
I spent the rest of the journey listening to it twitter away in the passenger footwell. There was a lot of effing and blinding involved. Suppose I could have stopped or whatever, but thought sod it.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Last week saw one mounted directly above the steering wheel too. Surprised

For my main TomTom I made a mount for the vent which puts it in a position where the top edge is just in line with the edge of the windscreen.
The added benefit is I can now reach it much easier!
Whenever I use a different one on a normal windscreen sucker, it ends up bugging me that I can't see past it.

I'm in complete agreement. Now that mine is on a mount attached to the centre-dash vent it's much easier to reach and less obtrusive.

I think screen mounts should be banned because (as Andy has noted) users position them on their screens with their brains disengaged - and it's not just a few users either.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I think screen mounts should be banned because (as Andy has noted) users position them on their screens with their brains disengaged - and it's not just a few users either.

no. the idiot's who don't know how to use them should be banned from driving!!

that's like banning tv's cos some idiots don;t know how to carry them properly and damage their backs!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
I spent the rest of the journey listening to it twitter away in the passenger footwell. There was a lot of effing and blinding involved.
What happened to good old fashioned discipline? It's people like you who let society down by not curbing your devices baser instincts - you should have shouted at them to stop that language!
MaFt wrote:
spook51 wrote:

that's like banning tv's cos some idiots don;t know how to carry them properly and damage their backs!
Thank you MaFt - I often drop my TV on my back, but that's no excuse to ban them.

spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
spook51 wrote:

MaFt

Your logic is lost on my I'm afraid but I saw a prime example yesterday. Driving through the M1 roadworks near Jn25 I noticed that the vehicle in front had a SatNav stuck on the screen immediately to the right of the interior mirror and slightly below it. Directly below the SatNav I could see a phone on a screen mount with a wire hanging down to the dash.

I gradually overtook it and a bit further on glanced in my mirror. There was another device stuck to the top of the screen above the SatNav and the driver was swigging from an insulated travel mug - so we agree on one thing, the idiot should be banned.

Returning home in the evening I saw the glow of a SatNav in another car in front (it's surprising how few drivers switch to night colours), this one was at eye level and directly below the interior mirror.

I still maintain screen mounts should be banned.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I still maintain screen mounts should be banned.
I don't have a problem with banning "In line of sight" mountings. But look again at my picture - I have to look away from my line of sight, effectively as far out of line as looking at my rear view mirror. What's wrong with that?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: