Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Internal memory or memory card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal memory or memory card?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem. I have downloaded the latest map via Home (1830.2Mb). I have selected install to card (1936.9 Mb free) I get a message saying that I need to remove 44.7Mb. The graphic shows my full internal memory with a red block at the end representing the oversized map I am trying to install. It also shows my memory card as being available and empty. It seems to want to default install to my internal memory no matter if I select internal or external memory.
I have a windows back up from before starting with this carry on, so what should be my next move please?
I have tried searching this site, as I know that someone has written about this previously, but cannot find it.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, your map and activation code will be stored on the computer now its downloaded, the easy way to install this to your memory card is to use a card reader and WinRar software to extract the folder and associated files.

Have a look in:

MyDocuments/TomTom/ Home/ Download/ complete/ map/ Western_Central_Europe

In this folder are two important files, the first one to open is the large zip file Western_and_Central_Europe.zip, to do this use WinRar which you can download from Here point the WinRar at the drive letter associated with the empty memory card, once its completed this step you need to use WinRar to extract the file from the activation_map_12345.cab file (your file will have a different 5 digit number to 12345 nut you should get the idea), point WinRar at the folder on your memory card so the activation file is extracted straight to the map folder on the card.

Next pop the memory card in to the TomTom and go to Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Map and select your new map from the presented list.

Remember you only need the useless Home application to download the map you certainly don't need it to perform the installation, using the method outlined above guarantees where the new map gets placed rather than the Home method which seems to place it where ever it feels like, quite often it stupidly loads it to both memory areas! - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Card Reader Reply with quote

Alio1326 wrote:
HI,
Just to update, Thanks Anita your advice on using my card & Reader it has worked for me did as you said and it updated for me via the reader. Thats what I love about this forum, you just need to ask.

Alan

Glad it worked for you, Alan. At least if your device isn't even connected to your computer you know Home can't install to it! Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Mike, a simple solution when you know how!
Will this cause me any problems when I get my update in 3 months time? Can I delete the older map from the internal memory now that I no longer need it?

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure feel free to delete the map from the internal memory as its no longer needed, you won't have any issue with Home in three months time if you follow the same routine to install the map as I outlined above - If you let Home install the map to the device then you might have some fun with it trying to load to the internal Flash store (because its crap software).

All that said I assume you now have the new map loaded and working so you now know how to manually install it negating the use the Home for this step, its not a difficult process is it? - Mike
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have it in and working Mike, I will use the same procedure when my update comes around.
Many thanks again.

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
Wendolene
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the above posts I am still a little confused. If I want to use my memory card for both MAPS and APPLICATION, is this the procedure I should follow?

Use Windows Explorer to copy the entire contents of the internal memory on the DEVICE (750 GoLive) to my computer.

Insert blank memory card in a card reader and connect to PC.

Copy the previously saved files and folders copied from device, to the new blank memory card.

Delete the entire contents of the internal memory from the device.

Insert the memory card containing Apps and Maps et.al. into the device.

Make sure to select EXTERNAL MEMORY CARD in TT Home.

That's it.

Is that a correct summary of what to do? Will it work?

One more question:

IF I DELETE THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE INTERNAL MEMORY, AND THINGS GO WRONG, CAN EVERY THING BE RESTORED FROM THE BACK UP I HAVE MADE WITH WINDOWS EXPLORER?

Thanks in advance.

TomTom Go Live 750

App: v9.510.1234792.103
Map: Europe v1005.8763
All installed on a 4GB Class 6 microSD Card.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct BUT you don't need to delete anything off the internal memory as it will boot/run from the MicroSD card if inserted prior to switching on.

Most people tend to use the card just for additional maps/music etc.

PS Yes, you could just copy everything back if it all went Pete Tong using your method.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: