Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 700 Red flashing triangle- Bin it or fix it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 700 Red flashing triangle- Bin it or fix it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: TT 700 Red flashing triangle- Bin it or fix it? Reply with quote

I friend of mine has given me this because of the above fault. It happens soon after you switch on. (After the drum roll) I tried all the tricks for resetting shown in the sticky but with no luck. Also, once the triangle is up, it won't switch off without a reset.

I'm not much of a computer guru but I thought I would try a delete/reinstall via the TT home site since they said it was probably 'looping'. I made the backup copy fine but it says to click on the 'Manage my devices button'. Where on eath is it? I'm signed in ok but I just can't see it. Confused

The black screen says it is bootloader version 3.3 circa 2005. I don't know what the latest version is. Since it won't go past the initial screen I can't use it to check any other details. He wouldn't have been doing any updates at the time it failed because he doesn't even have a PC! He said it just wouldn't switch off one day. Any guesses anyone? Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neill, In TomTom Home v2.7 the "manage my device" icon is in the middle of the top line on page 2 of 3.

However, before you do anything, please make a back up of all the folders and files on your TomTom onto your computer using Windows Explorer.

Have you tried using TomTom's ClearFlash tool? available from their website. Download it and, with the TomTom connected run it three times (the magic number, nobody knows why).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Neill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Very Happy Can you post a link to the page? I have the backup done but I can't see any options for other page numbers. It just looks like a normal website homepage with other options but not the right one! I'll definitely try the clearflash tool if the thing ever comes back to life. Laughing
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ClearFlash tool is here -

http://tomtom.com/6178

Something does not sound right with your version of TomTom Home. The latest version (I think) is v2.7 and can be downloaded from http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87.

As you have managed to back up your TomTom it means that your computer can "see" it and therefore should be able to carry out the ClearFlash, the TomTom does not have to functioning correctly to run it just switched on and connected.

I have a habit of "breaking" my TT on a regular basis, so please treat the following with caution, but it is what I would do and as you have made a back up of your TT, you should at least be able to get back to where you are now if it does not work.

1) Connect your TT to the Computer and delete all the files and folders from it. Safely disconnect TT and switch off.
2) Download and Run the latest version of TomTom Home from the link above.
3) Connect your TT and Switch it on. Or vice versa if not detected.
4) Hopefully, TomTomHome will recognize your 700 and offer you a download for it. Accept this and install it.
5) Don't download anything else at this stage, and report back.

Or wait for somebody else with less drastic advice to reply.

Good Luck.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Jolly_Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 700 has 'never' been upgraded then you will need to use version 1.5 or 1.6 of Home otherwise it will never be recognised.

After you have upgraded as far as possible , then you can install Home version 2 and upgrade further.

As for your problem, it's not something I have ever seen. sorry.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warning triangle may mean it can't find the Navcore files.
When you look at the unit via windows do you see files on it.

Iam sure i had this once while i messed up these files.
Neill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Very Happy The version of home I have is 2.7 and it does seem to be ok. I have the screen with the option of the pages now. It wants me to update but when I click on that it gives up after a while. I have a feeling this is all my fault... Embarassed I was trying this today because I had a spare afternoon, but I'm using my three mobile broadband connection. Normally it's great but it has been a bit odd today.

Jolly Roger- If this TT hasn't ever been updated (which I can't tell unless the 'bootloader version 3.30' I saw on the black screen means anything) you are saying I will have to find an earlier version of Home first and bring it up to date gradually? Thanks all for your time all, I'll have another go when the signal is better.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you connect via a cable to the internet to ensure accurate data transfer, not mobile or wifi.

Jolly_Roger is correct, TThome 1.6 can be downloaded from the link on the same page listed above just beneath the icon for Homev2.7.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Neill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did successfully delete all the files and downloaded the older software. Since the broadband is working now I did try to update but it said (error 104) the TT server did not understand the request, try again later. I'll try again on a decent connection at the end of the week when I'm back home.

I notice the same dreaded red cross and failure to switch off is still there though so I guess it must be a hardware problem after all? Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not likely to be hardware.
The red cross just means it cannot load the software.
Stick with it, we'll get you there eventually, there are just a few hoops to jump through and it's best to try the easy ones first.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. Is it fully charged up (do it overnight)? The 700 has a hard drive and it can fail to find the system etc if it hasn't got enough oomph in the battery to wind up the hard disk.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Neill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help so far. Very Happy Well I'm back on a good connection now. I have deleted all the files on the TT (after making a copy) and I have downloaded v1.6 of Home as suggested above. It starts the download but soon come up with an error message.

Which can only be cleared by multiple clicks on the cross or 'OK' Then it says TT needs to close. Any ideas? Confused
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Neill, That is a new one on me. Hopefully it means something to sombody else.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'male', 'female' or 'young female'?

Have to say something sounds VERY dodgy there! Shocked
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neill, If you are still having problems this may be worth a try. If I am understanding where you "Are" correctly you have a blank TT700 and are now trying to get it and TTHome to connect but TTHome v1.6 is not playing ball?

If you go here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=78685&highlight=8+320, scroll down to the 4th post where mikealder gives links to various NavCore versions to download and extract directly onto TT without using TTHome. Unless somebody else says different I suggest you start with v 8.302 and see how you get on.
Ali.

STOP PRESS - Perhaps wait for a somebody else to confirm or de-bunk my choice of 8.302 for a Go700.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: