Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Nuvi 255 (when to download map update?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nuvi 255 (when to download map update?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: New Nuvi 255 (when to download map update?) Reply with quote

Hi - I've just treated myself to this device (my old Quest still works fine but I'll use if for cycling now). PC World had them for under £70 which I thought I couldn't beat for a UK, Europe and Eastern Europe kit? Pity there's no bluetooth for the mob. phone but hey - £69.97 - what was I expecting?

I have the opportunity to download a map update within 60 days but I don't want to do it if there's a new update due out soon.

Can anyone please tell me the usual schedule of updates? The website refers to up to 4 per year but doesn't say when last/next one are released.

I'd really appreciate an expert telling me what I need to know.

By the way, I spotted this hack update website on a Google search. http://www.haklabs.com/2009/the-2010-garmin-gps-update-hacked/
I think it's for USA maps but it's step by step if anyone is interested? Are we allowed to mention such things on here? I'd like to avoid the £99 numaps for life charge if there's a freebie for Europe maps?
57southbound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I have the opportunity to download a map update within 60 days but I don't want to do it if there's a new update due out soon. <

The only way to ensure you get the latest update is to leave your free option until the 60th day...

Garmin announced in June they are now doing quarterly updates - but it's not clear if that is only on the lifetime deal. I can't see anyone lobbibg out every three months for a map update. At the rate they build roads in this country not much would have changed in three months anyway... Laughing

Personally, I wouldn't go for any hacked updates. Loading system files to the unit is the time that you may get a problem and you may need support. 99 quid for official lifetime does not sound like a bad deal to me, depends how much driving you do I guess.
oxters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57southbound wrote:

The only way to ensure you get the latest update is to leave your free option until the 60th day...

Ok many thanks for your advice. I'll do it just before I go on hols. I wondered if the lifetime quarterly updates would be the update for a freebie or if it would be an annual one. I think I'll ask Garmin on their website and see if they reply. Will repost here if I find out. You are right - £99 is probably pretty reasonable to keep up to date, if the unit lasts a lifetime of course? But it's still a lot more than I paid for the 255! I think I could subscribe at any time though and it's only really necessary for the hols and trips. As you say, not much changes over here but European roads still get money spent (probably ours through the EC)
Ian99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuMap Europe Lifetime available on ebay or Handtec for about £70 a little more on Amazon but you get £15 off if you take their credit card.

I got one from ebay last week with no problems.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: NuMaps Reply with quote

The next map update should be by the end of August so I would hang on - that will give you a free map update which will be the freshest available until late 2010 - then subscribe to NuMaps then if you need to

Alternatively if the maps are really out of date, just go for an update today - the new maps are pretty good, so at £70 for you unit and a brand new map, who's complaining?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
oxters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm from Aberdeen! I'll wait for the end of August Very Happy

I don't need it other than holidays and occasional other trips so I am happy to wait. thanks xtraseller.

Thanks for e-bay info etc as well Ian.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just bought my grandaugter a 205w a month ago she asked me to update her maps on the free update, surprising enough when updated they were designated as 2011 maps from 2010 (no other numbers) so it would appear to be only a yearly update. it also updated the Nuvi software from 5.80 to 6.60 and the Gps s/w from 1.03m to 2.00m, because i had not had use of it i do not know the effect of these changes, it also update the cameras to sept 2009 ???, presume this is similar across models but then who knows, hope this helps in some way.

Just to add I am a tomtom user and certainly in my local area the Garmin Maps (Navteq) are way ahead and update more than TomTom (Teleatlas) even before update, so you are a lot better off there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: