Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A solution for TTS pronunciation for Go models (Loquendo)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARViN2003 wrote:
Zip file updated

http://www.darklight.info/downloads/Loq7fix.zip

I've now had a chance to try this out and can confirm that I don't remember getting any commas, although I did get a semicolon after A41 at one point, would the location help or is that not relevent to the problem?

Thanks for your efforts Thumbs Up
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trooper wrote:

Has there been any other feedback on just renaming "cphoneme.dat" as to whether it affects the pronunciation of foreign names whilst using TT on the continent?

I think I am the only one to comment on this, but removing cphoneme.dat changed pronunciation for French names from awkward to comical (think allo' allo' on steroids).

As an aside, I think (but have not double checked) that pronunciations of French names using an English voice is improved if there is a French voice also installed (but not selected) on the unit.
notones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: UK&ROI Reply with quote

Now on UK ROI v850.2781
No problems so far, seemed the easiest fix (for me at least) as i never travel outside of UK
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the encoding of the data is different for W&CE and UK&RoI; probably includes the country somehow, but this muchs up the rules.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Go 520 (went through the pain of the stuttering!) and GB and Ireland map my Loquendo folder does not have a \data folder to put the files from the zip file in - am I missing something.

It has a \bin, \EnglishGb, \EnglishTE and \lib folders.

The \EnglishGb folder contains .lex files but no .rex file. It does have a roadnr.EnglishGb6.7.lex, sms.EnglishGb6.9.lex, EnglishGb6.9.lex and a EnglishGb6.9.phd file.

The daft road numbers have driven me mad for years. Can I use this fix?
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, you have Loquendo 6.9 rather than 7.
I updated mine to 7 when I had the stuttering issue.

You can try it, but I have no idea if it will work. It may be worth looking through the stuttering thread to find the 7.0 files and install them...
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded Loquendo to V7 (which doesnt seem any different from 6.9!) and, loh and behold, the files to drop in the \data folder (which now exist) work like a dream!

It really is staggering that TomTom are incapable of understanding the way road numbering in UK (and USA?) works. Does any country actually use the equivalent of "A four thousand six hundred and seventy three" as road numbers?

Truly impressed, thanks MARViN2003 Very Happy you have my undying gratitude.

Do current production TT units produce this c**p? My 520 will not last forever (although I have just installed a new battery in it go give it another couple of years). Clearly I dont want to purchase a replacement that has the same problems.

Having said that I have a Nokia 5800 with OVI maps and a Nexus One with NDrive installed and dont use the TomTom unit that much these days (much less business mileage) but the TMC traffic data is useful as it does cost.
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it works,

The 520 is a good unit, I only updated mine recently because I fried the usb power circuit Sad

Also because you are using the UK & RoI maps, you shouldn't get any of the comma, semicolon and other extra pronunciation problems that we seem to have on the euro maps.

I have a 930 referb from tomtom, which still has the mp3 player and fm transmitter and also a bluetooth remote control.

The newer models do still use Loquendo 7 as far as I know, so will still have the same problems...
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the road numbers and names actually come from?
It would be nice to try and find the diference in the encoding of the UK and Euro maps, then I could work out some new rules for the euro maps that would eliminate the extra pronunciation problems...

I asked Tomtom, but they were unhelpful:

Code:
I cannot offer further support on this, and I doubt we can as a company, as we do not support modifications to our software. However, I will forward your question on to our second line team to either confirm this or get more information for you.

Code:
Our second line team has confirmed we do not support these modifications, so there is no further information I can provide unfortunately.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm -I assume the road numbers and names are in cname.dat in the map folder with cline.dat and cnode.dat being the actual layout.

All these files are obviously compressed so unless it is a standard compression this will not be easy Sad

What I dont understand is that interface between the TomTom data being read from the map and the Loquendo software must be consistent. If the GB and NI and the Western Europe maps are installed on the same unit the TTS must be able to handle both of them.

Presumably the Western Europe map must be using Loquendo functionality that GB and NI do not. Accented characters, driving on the right, kilometres and general use of foreign languages?

Presumably if it can be made to function correctly with Western Europe maps then this should also work with GB and NI?
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MARViN2003

Thanks for the good work you've been putting in to this.

One problem I noticed though: I just updated the 5 files again and now M621 is pronounced "M six hundred and twenty one" whereas with a previous download (3-7-10) it is read as "M six two one".

The roadnrEnglishGB.rex file was 871bytes but now is only 336bytes.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARViN2003 wrote:
Does anyone know where the road numbers and names actually come from?
It would be nice to try and find the difference in the encoding of the UK and Euro maps, then I could work out some new rules for the euro maps that would eliminate the extra pronunciation problems...

The road numbers are in the Map data, ie. part of the TeleAtlas component. The design was for USA road system, and then 'translated' to UK system along the lines which are obvious from the work does in this thread. Luckily there were 3 types/classes in each country.

I've not had chance to play recently, but re the diff between the 2 maps, I hazard a guess that 1 is all in English, the other is multi-lingual. What the extra might be in the Euro map is unclear, but there is likely to need to be some. Anyone tried running mod with language set to French or other non-English language to see if any clues pop up?
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming cphoneme.dat hasnt made an beneficial difference tothe speech (it still pronounces "Fisher Lane" as "Fish Lane" and has a strange rolling "r" on most places with a name ending with "er" - Manchester being one of them).

Presumably the fix for road numbers still works with cphoneme.dat in use?

MARViN2003's files seem to cause it to omit certain road names or the "towards xxx" after the road number. I assume TT is feeding Loquendo with data it cannot make sense of? The map seems to freeze for a few seconds when this happens.

When I get back from my holidays I will have a play!

Earlier in the thread there was a question about how UK road numbers should be pronounced. According to our local highways department A123 as "A one twenty three" and four digit numbers are split into two groups of two so A1058 is "A ten fifty eight" but I think that is a bit picky and there areexceptions when the third digit is a zero!
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I renamed cphoneme.dat my 930 decided it wouldn't read out any B road numbers for some reason...
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: So how do you get the logging to work? Reply with quote

I have put the line "LogFile" = "/mnt/sdcard/LoquendoTTS/log.txt" in the default7.session file and commented out the "LogFile" = "stderr" line but there is no sign of a log file anywhere!

Have searched the file system in both the internal memory and the SD card - no sign Sad

I put the same entry in the default.session left over from v6.9 but that didnt help.

Meanwhile is TT using TeleAtlas and NavTech SAMPA phonetic alphabet as mentioned in the Loquendo site? If that is fed to Loquendo it may be the reason for the oddities with maps other that GB and Ireland?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: